An update on the general rules of the game.

Airsoft safety discussion. Post here with questions about laws and safety concerns.

Re: An update on the general rules of the game.

Postby Jewish Ninja » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:15 pm

Junto wrote:We definitely need a set of ROE for dealing specifically with high pressure air systems. We lock in the FPS at least. I'd like to lock ROF to whatever is closest to the real weapon's rate of fire, as well. No more 50 BBs per second.

I'm 1000% on board with this. Perhaps making it a blanket "no ROFs over 25 RPS". 25RPS is still 1500 RPM, which is well over the real ROF of any small arm that's out there (except for the AN-94 in burst, but that's rocket surgery anyways and only 2rounds).

We've had a lot of success with the MED rule set we've used the last couple years at Summer Slaughter. I wouldn't mind seeing that ruleset be used by other promoters as well.
Threepeat! AP Gearwhore of the Year.
WWGFD?
Adjective noun is adjective.
Jewish Ninja

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Grounded » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:01 am

:idea: :idea: 8)
Grounded
Administrator
Administrator

Team: N/A

Postby Steve » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:59 pm

Three words fix HPA systems: Real. Capacity. Magazines.

Just saying, is all.
This Week In Airsoft wrote:This Week in Airsoft stands behind its statement... The internet and YouTube can be your teacher.

Steve

Postby Nark » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:50 am

Steve wrote:Three words fix HPA systems: Real. Capacity. Magazines.

Just saying, is all.

This. 100%
Nark wrote:This is gonna sound dickish but whatever I'll be that guy...
Nark
Ranger
Ranger

Postby toobladink » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:41 am

Well, here are some rules for the field I work with, if you're interested. We would like to have snipers go highr, but field insurance does not allow it.

If you set a restriction for rate of fire for HPA, you can BET that I will show up to a game with an electric gun shooting 60 RPS. And I won't be the only one.

25 RPS is a good limit, but 30 is probably best. I say this because a lot of people will just buy an SHS high speed motor and an 11.1, have no idea how fast their gun shoots, and then be told they can't use it because the ROF is too high.

Also, measuring RPS adds a lot of time to chrono.
toobladink
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Solid » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:49 am

toobladink wrote:Well, here are some rules for the field I work with, if you're interested. We would like to have snipers go highr, but field insurance does not allow it.

If you set a restriction for rate of fire for HPA, you can BET that I will show up to a game with an electric gun shooting 60 RPS. And I won't be the only one.

25 RPS is a good limit, but 30 is probably best. I say this because a lot of people will just buy an SHS high speed motor and an 11.1, have no idea how fast their gun shoots, and then be told they can't use it because the ROF is too high.

And that is totally cool if you show up with some crazy overtuned AEG, 60 RPS with a midcap is just unwieldy IMO, running out of ammo all the time but that's your prerogative. I don't mind being lit up by an electric gat shooting 60 RPS, because I've never seen an electric gat shoot hot enough to shatter a car window with one burst. HPA's just have that weird ability to go from fine to out of control at the drop of a hat simply because of the potential power of them. I've been lit up for a decade now by every green gas, CO2 and AEG out there, and I've NEVER seen the level of raw damage to people and property that HPA's do, and it's by a WIDE margin. Frankly they are just dangerous with the current rules around them (I get we are shooting each other but you know what I mean.) DRAT started wearing helmets and full face before the blanket rules started popping up solely because of those death machines. I am now bandannaless because of them. Enforcing stricter mag restrictions may help out, I dunno about standard caps for HPA's but maybe ensuring they are using midcaps/non-drums could help.

I don't think that people showing up with their gun shooting crazy high RPM and being turned down is a good argument though, same thing happens when someone's gat shoots 5 FPS too high. It's just a matter of safety and personal responsibility of knowing your equipment before coming out there with something that could decently harm someone.

Bolts going hotter than 550 would just be silly with a well built bolt with all the bells and whistles, those things already shazaam people up with someone that knows how to use the thing. Once you pop a black BB out of your face like a zit, you'll know what I mean ;)

EDIT: WHAT THE shazaam IS WITH "SHAAZAM" WHERE IS MY PROFANITY?!
Solid

Team: DRAT

Postby drpepper475 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:05 pm

just chrono hpa with joules not fps. Also use .32 bbs. my 2 cents.
"you guys might be winning ,but I'm having more fun"
drpepper475

Postby Hawkeye [F.O.A.D.] » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:15 pm

All HPA guns did is bring to light joule creep. something that can be done with any gun if you know how. Chronoing with higher weight bbs (.30+) for the most part eliminates that issue.
Hawkeye [F.O.A.D.]
Soldier
Soldier

Team: F.O.A.D

Postby Nark » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:55 pm

toobladink wrote:Well, here are some rules for the field I work with, if you're interested. We would like to have snipers go highr, but field insurance does not allow it.

sup lil zergling :D
Nark wrote:This is gonna sound dickish but whatever I'll be that guy...
Nark
Ranger
Ranger

Postby toobladink » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:21 pm

Natek wrote:
sup lil zergling :D

..what?

Anyways, drpepper475 has the right idea. If joule creeping is a problem and shooting out windows is actually a thing, then educate people on how to TUNE their systems. Most people that joule creep with HPA haven't even played with their settings that play with joule creep. Then, to further enforce it, make them chrono with a heavier BB than other players. Most HPA users will use .28-.32g BBs.
toobladink
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Steve » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:23 pm

I chased obscenely high ROF in CQB AEGs. But I also kept my velocity target at 330 FPS or lower. For me, I wasn't looking to bleed somebody out or make people cry. I mostly wanted enough pellets in the air that I could legitimately advance behind ballistic cover. And, occasionally, point out when people were egregiously not calling their hits.

The thing that sorta kills HPA for me is that it's too paintball. I liked that the platforms were incredibly similar to actual firearms, that I could use my real-steel tactical gear, and in most instances, use the same tactics and skillset that I'd developed in the Army. Hoses and spare tanks and the rest of that nonsense just kills it for me. On top of that, most of the kids I ran into that ran HPA systems were looking for shortcuts. Higher ROF, higher velocity, bigger air tanks. And that "looking for shortcuts" mentality _felt like_ it transferred over into their game play.

I don't know that they were any less likely to call their hits, or more likely to repeatedly rope people, or just generally act more like jerks than anyone else. I do know that it stuck out in my mind more when I saw it happen. And, to my discredit, and on multiple occasions, I'm positive that once I observed bad faith behavior on the part of an HPA user I would spend the rest of the day actively looking for chances to light them up like a Christmas tree rather than finding a polite and appropriate way to try to correct the issues I had observed.
This Week In Airsoft wrote:This Week in Airsoft stands behind its statement... The internet and YouTube can be your teacher.

Steve

Postby Grounded » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:29 pm

Great info and well said!
Grounded
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Solid » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:03 pm

Here ya go, OP Fury Road, October 2016. First one me, second one is the scar the burst he hit me with (taken today,) third is the rear windshield. Burst hit up the side of the truck and I was lucky enough to get my face down quick enough to keep my teeth. Shot at me from I dunno, 50 feet away, corner of the very most back left building in the MOUT town at Rilea from the perspective of the parking lot at us in the middle of the road. Shits real.

https://m.imgur.com/a/t4Xsj
Solid

Postby Grounded » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:06 pm

Whoa dude! Scattered!
Grounded
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Solid » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:15 pm

Grounded wrote:Whoa dude! Scattered!

I know right? That thing was shooting harder than a bolt at like 40-50 RPS. Not cool, definitely not safe. Nobody has fun getting upsidedown up by a burst like that, and maybe it's just me but HPA guys usually struggle with laying off the trigger in my experience.
Solid

PreviousNext

Return to Safety/Legality