Another reminder . . . Be responsible

Airsoft safety discussion. Post here with questions about laws and safety concerns.

Another reminder . . . Be responsible

Postby BoogeyMan » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:39 pm

Yet another incident of kids being irresponsible with airsoft replicas in public. I hate to beat a dead horse but it seems that people still aren't getting it. Spread the word guys... For the most part we have a really responsible community and I have nothing but words of praise. Just keep working hard to prevent incidents like this.

http://www.sherwoodgazette.com/news/sto ... 2861599700
BoogeyMan

Team: RR KBAB

Postby Variable » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:49 pm

I still hate kids.
Variable

Team: APST

Postby Pope_Alex_Kaeda_I » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:51 pm

Haven't I been saying for a while that this stuff isnt expensive enough?

I wish M4's were still $500. "but alex, then we wouldnt have a ton of people at games...." So bleeding what. Games were better back in the day.
Member of the AirsoftReview Mafia
Umlaut Rabbit - 28 June 2008, Unchkin Rabbit 29 May 2009
Pope_Alex_Kaeda_I

Team: N/A
Location: Google makes me clever. Photoshop makes me beautiful.

Postby Solid » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:03 pm

Lol I used to work there at that YMCA, I actually bore witness to this mess. Pretty funny to see the look on the kids faces. Theres a small wooded area technically on YMCA property but never used thats been used for airsofting a multitude of times by the local teens and its very VERY public knowledge that people shoot each other down there. Frankly I'm kinda ashamed that some of the Y employees actually called the police on it, then again they did get a couple pretty stupid people there right before I left...
Last edited by Solid on Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Solid

Team: DRAT

Postby Bad Karma » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:08 pm

Pope_Alex_Kaeda_I wrote:Haven't I been saying for a while that this stuff isnt expensive enough?

I wish M4's were still $500. "but alex, then we wouldnt have a ton of people at games...." So f***ing what. Games were better back in the day.

Yep, we share identical sentiments.

Bad Karma wrote:Damn, I knew it was too good to be true. I honestly wish gun prices would go back up again. When guns were cost-prohibitive it filtered out a lot of the individuals who didn't take the hobby seriously. I remember a time not too long ago where new CA M249s was over $800. God, I miss those days. Then these shitty Chinese companies came along with their shitty clones, and every kid who played Rainbow Six one too many times was able to be a "support gunner."

From: http://airsoftpacific.com/viewtopic.php ... c&start=60
Biggest Postwhore 2009
Author of the Best Post of 2009
XO of the Best Team of 2009
Bad Karma

Team: SOTA

Postby Transition » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:34 pm

hence good press to try and counter this kinda of crap is so important
http://www.portlandtribune.com/metro_ne ... 6066877500

need to call up people when bigger events are going on and show them that its not just dumb kids out there!
Transition
Ranger
Ranger

Postby ogrejager » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:48 pm

“I’m sure he’s pretty much done with it,â€

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Blitzkreig » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:01 pm

Will there ever be a day when adults don't hate kids? "They're so irresponsible, they have no control, they do the stupidest things!"

I am tired of all teens who airsoft being treated like crap because of their age. I am trying to set a good example for my age group, but there are still adults like you who won't even give us a chance. I remember at my second game I accidently friendly-fired on Variable. Once I acknowledged this and apologized, he stormed off.

And as for wanting airsoft guns to be more expensive, that is a selfish desire so that only the elite and "privileged" players like you could play. What about the college students who play and have very little money laying around? Alternatively, what about the spoiled kids who get $50 a week allowances?

I do not wish to be offensive (although reading back it looks like I failed), I am just saying to give us a break. Maybe if playing with you guys wasn't so intimidating, those kids wouldn't have to play in the woods. I personally do not feel offended, I am simply a representative of all teenagers who airsoft. Lighten up.
So long as there are men, there will be wars.
-Albert Einstein
Blitzkreig
Soldier
Soldier

Postby BoogeyMan » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:12 pm

Blitzkreig wrote:Will there ever be a day when adults don't hate kids?

No.

Blitzkreig wrote:Lighten up.

No . . . and quit being stupid :lol: j/k

On a more serious note - Teens aren't treated like crap sole due to their age. It's their maturity level. There's some teens I've played with that I consider buds and I've had a great time rolling with them at events simply because they are more mature. They tend to use that mass that's in between their ears more than other teenagers.

I only posted this article as a reminder to remain vigilant and to keep people who are "stupid" in line. I'm not slamming the youth here. If we work together as a community to get positive media coverage we might get more recognition for our hobby. It could be as simple as telling a friend to cover their replicas up in their car with a blanket or towel...suggesting a gun bag. If you see kids out and about with them in your neighborhood, have a quick conversation with them about some consequences that can happen. It takes a village to take care of our idiots.
BoogeyMan

Team: RR KBAB

Postby Blitzkreig » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:19 pm

Okay, thanks for not killing me.

I was shocked at that post of the Farm. That's cool!
I live in Beaverton, they just plain outlawed airsoft there. We used to play in this park, but we actually contacted the police to ask if we could, and they said yes.
It's still hard for me to explain what airsoft is to all these relatives. They think I'm going to join the Army! I can't join the Army, I'm too fat!
So long as there are men, there will be wars.
-Albert Einstein
Blitzkreig
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Hallowground » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:24 pm

my relatives think i'm going to join the army because i prefer a comfortable woodland winter bdu jacket to any other option. of course i am going to join the army, but thats not the point. i'm in this for the fun, and a little bit more physical exertion than my recently driver's license holding a$$ is getting.

but seriously, we do need to work on better publicity for airsoft in general, i don't want to have to go on a 5 day roadtrip for one day of gaming in canada
Hallowground
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Blizzard » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:57 pm

hallowground wrote:but seriously, we do need to work on better publicity for airsoft in general, i don't want to have to go on a 5 day roadtrip for one day of gaming in canada

Actually, no. We don't want to do that. The more discreet airsoft in general is, the better. If you were to make it common knowledge, then the anti-gun crowd would get all over us with protests, petitions, and what not to ban the hobby altogether. Most people I talk to don't know that I airsoft, and don't even know what airsoft is!

I think you're theory is that if we publicize airsoft, then the police wouldn't freak out so much if an incident like the above came up again. Sorry to be blunt, but... Wrong. If the police see anything that looks like a firearm, they will (or should) respond accordingly. Hesitancy could mean life or death. I've heard of criminals who would paint orange tips on their guns just to give them the extra time while the police would second guess.

If it looks like a real gun, then you must treat it like a real gun and expect everybody else to treat it like a real gun who do not know it's correct identity.

Regarding teenagers... I'm not asking anybody to give us slack in general. Many teenagers I have met can pretty dumb. We still have growing up to do. Simple fact. Just give us a chance to prove that some of us aren't as dumb as others. ;) My primary objective for my players is to teach them respectable and safe conduct on and off the field. We're working on it.
For every action (Bang) there is an equal and opposite reaction (HIT!)
Previously AsianMarksman
Blizzard
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Prophet » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:14 pm

BOOOO FOR STUPID KIDS!!!
Please, I insist.
Prophet
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Hallowground » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:16 pm

blizzard made sense. statement redacted.
Hallowground
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ogrejager » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:37 pm

First, Nasty has the right idea--private, safe places to play. Yes, we're (I'm) hard on kids online. That's because I'm downright hard line on...well, not being an idiot. However, kids--yes, I'm talking to you 15-year-old kids--do you know how many conversations I've had with your parents during breaks? About every other big OP, I end up spending 4-5 minutes talking a Mom or a Dad who's brought the "little one" to a game. Trust me, I don't say, "Don't bring that snotty kid!"

Second, yes, I will continue to be "mocking" and generally being something of a bastard. Seriously, I'm actually teaching you several things you might actually appreciate later. Either that or you'll continue to think I'm a bastard.

Enough touchy-feely crap. Hallow, there's no such word as "redacted" and sentences are supposed to start with capital letters.

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Team: SpecDet1

Next

Return to Safety/Legality