Washington Airsoft Laws

Airsoft safety discussion. Post here with questions about laws and safety concerns.

Washington Airsoft Laws

Postby afatcow » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:12 pm

Hello!

I was wondering if there was too much different about laws for airsoft in the state of Washington versus the state of Oregon. Primarily about national forests and such.

I see that the national forests are deemed okay for hunting on their respective websites, but in looking on different Washington area airsoft boards I haven't found much in the way of events hosted in the national forests. This could be potentially due to a legal issue or it could be just because the community is so much smaller and less organized up there.

I know that this board is more oriented towards the Portland area, but if there is anyone on here from Washington that can enlighten me, that would be fantastic!
afatcow
Soldier
Soldier

Team: The 144

Postby Mr. Technicality » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:40 pm

I suggest reviewing RCW 9A.20, 9A.36, and 9.41. When researching airsoft-pertinant State laws in Washington those were the sections I kept copies of.

It is my understanding that airsoft is prohibited on government or public land and within city limits. Airsoft should only be played on privately-owned land. Expressed written permission from the property owner(s) is required if the property owner(s) is/are not present.

Also, my friends and I got kicked out of a State park a few years ago for openly carrying airsoft guns with orange tips. According to the park ranger, BB guns, pellet guns, airsoft, paintball, dart guns, and other similar projectile launchers are prohibited from State parks. He did not include real-steel firearms on his list.

But if you're asking about National Forests, those would be covered by Federal Law, would they not? As such they should have the same laws in every state unless I'm mistaken.
I'm a "fair weather" airsofter. I only play in the pouring rain, freezing cold, or broiling heat.
Mr. Technicality
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Postby afatcow » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:37 pm

RCW 9.41.010 wrote:(7) "Firearm" means a weapon or device from which a projectile or projectiles may be fired by an explosive such as gunpowder.

So it would appear that airsoft weapons are not firearms under Washington law. However, in the dangerous weapons section...

RCW 9.41.230 wrote:RCW 9.41.230
Aiming or discharging firearms, dangerous weapons.

(1) For conduct not amounting to a violation of chapter 9A.36 RCW, any person who:

(a) Aims any firearm, whether loaded or not, at or towards any human being;

(b) Willfully discharges any firearm, air gun, or other weapon, or throws any deadly missile in a public place, or in any place where any person might be endangered thereby. A public place shall not include any location at which firearms are authorized to be lawfully discharged; or

(c) Except as provided in RCW 9.41.185, sets a so-called trap, spring pistol, rifle, or other dangerous weapon,

although no injury results, is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.

(2) If an injury results from a violation of subsection (1) of this section, the person violating subsection (1) of this section shall be subject to the applicable provisions of chapters 9A.32 and 9A.36 RCW.

It appears that air guns (which our guns could possibly fall under) are under the classification of "dangerous weapons." It talks specifically about people being endangered, so I would be very conscious about eye protection and such. What do you all think?

Also, I'm not surprised that it's prohibited in state parks, I believe it is here too, state parks are full of trails and picnic spots and everything that you don't want to run into while airsofting.
afatcow
Soldier
Soldier

Team: The 144

Return to Safety/Legality