Storing airsoft rifles while at college?

Airsoft safety discussion. Post here with questions about laws and safety concerns.

Storing airsoft rifles while at college?

Postby God » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:55 am

So, I'm curious as to whether colleges such as OSU or UO allow airsoft rifles to be stored on campus.... I know lots of guys here are college goers, so their guns need to be stored somewhere. Just kinda wondering what your guys' experience has been, college and airsoft. Do they mix?
God

Team: RR KBAB

Postby ogrejager » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:02 am

Unless OSU has changed their policy, they need to be checked in with campus security. Most of the college goers on this forum, I'm sure, live off-campus where the "no guns on campus" rule doesn't apply because, well, they're not on campus.

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Team: SpecDet1

Postby CalvinB » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:16 pm

WOU has a zero tolerance towards all gun like things in the dorms. Even NERF and super soakers. If they were found, they were taken and not given back. When I was an RA, an airsoft pistol was found, and the police were called, they were hugely overreacting but it happens.

I would call campus public safety or PD, see what they say, other than that, off campus at a friend's house was where I stored them when I was on campus.
I DID NOT INVENT THE INTERNETS FOR THIS
CalvinB
Ranger
Ranger

Team: N/A

Postby Junto » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:45 pm

I would never leave my replicas or my real firearms with anyone I didn't know and trust personally. Also, why would I ever hand my replicas off to campus security or police who don't necessarily understand them or my hobby? What if I want to go to a game? Would I have to schedule a damn appointment to get them back from the official holding them? Would they be apprehensive about where I was going with them and what I was doing? People do not understand our hobby.

Find a friend who isn't going to mess with your things.
Junto

Team: DRAT

Postby dr.feelgood » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:58 pm

Junto wrote: Would I have to schedule a damn appointment to get them back from the official holding them? Would they be apprehensive about where I was going with them and what I was doing? People do not understand our hobby.

Find a friend who isn't going to mess with your things.

That is basically what I had to do at Oregon Tech with my real firearms. Oddly on a few occasions they 'lost the keys.'

Honestly my advice would be to skip airsofting while in school, hopefully you will find better things to do.
RDWHAHB
dr.feelgood
Specops
Specops

Team: DRAT

Postby God » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:34 pm

Hm, I guess I'll be keeping the weapons at home >.< Worn GEAR isn't an issue is it? IE, Plate carriers, helmets, uniforms, etc...
God

Postby Bic 101 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:34 pm

I lived in the dorms last year and I can tell you 100% certainty that taking an airsoft gun into the dorms is very illegal, stupid and will be horrible for the sport after the children playing airsoft guns by LBCC. As for gear, nothing is stated about it specifically but I still would not make it public knowledge if you did have it there.

Long story short. Any university dorms are a part of the university and thus on school property. Don't take guns to school, period.
This is my rifle.
There are many like it, but this one is mine.
It is my life.

Excerpt from the Rifleman's Creed (Marine Creed)
Bic 101
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Jester316 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:58 pm

OSU does not allow replica guns in the dorms. I got a "warning" for having mine in my dorms after my roommate was removed for having real guns in there...

Find someone you trust off campus, or leave them with your parents. Even in your car is iffy when talking to campus police (I did that too...).

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Mr. Technicality » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:57 pm

I've lived in the dorms at UW for a year. I wouldn't bring gear to the dorms. Colleges are generally left-leaning and you will undoubtedly worry someone if you have military paraphernalia and aren't in ROTC. For a while I left my gear and guns at home and for a while I left them with a friend who lived in the city. Leaving your stuff with an off-campus airsofting friend works well if you generally go together. Before I moved in I considered leaving my guns at the campus PD, but that costs money. Storage at a friend's condo is free.

I only got out once or twice during the school year anyway. There's just so much else to do on campus and in the city. It's hardly worth worrying about airsoft at all.
I'm a "fair weather" airsofter. I only play in the pouring rain, freezing cold, or broiling heat.
Mr. Technicality
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Steve » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:28 pm

Absolute worst case, rent a storage closet off-campus to store your guns and gear. Just make sure you can access it during whatever hours you are likely to pick up or drop off. And get insurance.
This Week In Airsoft wrote:This Week in Airsoft stands behind its statement... The internet and YouTube can be your teacher.

Steve

Postby lilwil » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:16 am

Don't leave them in your car on campus, it is punishable. Lucky I got an understanding security guard. And if you do get caught, play stupid and be apologetic.
She said I raped her? Well, where there is a Will there is a way. But just remember, if it wasn't Lil, it wasn't Wil.

Juicemachine: lilwil (the self-provlaimed racist) wrote:
Your hatred is based on ignorance.

IR the self-provlaimed racist:)
lilwil
Ranger
Ranger

Postby God » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:24 am

lilwil wrote:Don't leave them in your car on campus, it is punishable. Lucky I got an understanding security guard. And if you do get caught, play stupid and be apologetic.

Haha, will do... Although I think home is looking to be my best bet. =\
God

Postby VogonFord » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:31 pm

I live in a PSU dorm, and besides the fact that I can't smoke inside their gun policy is what pisses me off the most about being here. I've just left my guns with other members of Fragistan or my mother's house and get them on the way to games. It's annoying but I'm not in the mood to get "discovered" (read: shot) by the Portland Police.
VogonFord
Specops
Specops

Team: {FAG}

Return to Safety/Legality