gas to hpa conversion

Airsoft safety discussion. Post here with questions about laws and safety concerns.

gas to hpa conversion

Postby William_White » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:52 am

This isn't a how do you do it thread I already know how to and for consistency resons I converted my gas c96 carbine to Hpa/co2 I am wondering if I could still Use it at a AP event or if I would have to use a green gas mag.
William_White
Recruit
Recruit

Team: N/A

Postby Jester316 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:56 am

If you aren't known to the event host, you probably won't be allowed to use HPA. It's a safety reason.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby William_White » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:10 pm

I'm new to the area and I used to live in arizona so in the summers it was dangerous to use my c96 green gas and so I converted it to Hpa.
Last edited by William_White on Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
William_White
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Switchback » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:26 pm

Jester316 wrote:If you aren't known to the event host, you probably won't be allowed to use HPA. It's a safety reason.

*Hijack*

Just curious, Sir; What makes a HPA system dangerous (I get the whole high ROF and variable velocity, just wondering if you meant anything specific)?
"I have the cutest dog."
Switchback

Postby Ivan Daylovich™ » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:33 pm

It's the variable velocity. Usually it can be adjusted to exceed our safety limits.
Ivan Daylovich™

Team: {FAG}

Postby Jester316 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:45 pm

Switchback wrote:
Jester316 wrote:If you aren't known to the event host, you probably won't be allowed to use HPA. It's a safety reason.

*Hijack*

Just curious, Sir; What makes a HPA system dangerous (I get the whole high ROF and variable velocity, just wondering if you meant anything specific)?

Generally those rigs are VERY EASY to adjust the levels, and there is very little event hosts can do to keep the regulators at one pressure. So they are usually relegated to known trust worthy individuals.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Postby William_White » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:02 pm

Jester316 wrote:
Switchback wrote:

*Hijack*

Generally those rigs are VERY EASY to adjust the levels, and there is very little event hosts can do to keep the regulators at one pressure. So they are usually relegated to known trust worthy individuals.

The only thing they could do is make it so only regs that require tools to Change the pressure there isn't very many like that tho.
William_White
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Beran » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:10 pm

but if the tool is small enough to fit in a pocket, that doesnt help much.
Let your plans be as dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
Beran

Team: APST

Postby Jester316 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:10 pm

William_White wrote:
Jester316 wrote:
Switchback wrote:

*Hijack*

The only thing they could do is make it so only regs that require tools to Change the pressure there isn't very many like that tho.

Most regulators I know of need an allen key to adjust. How many places on the human body can one hide an allen key? I can think of 7 at least.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Postby William_White » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:35 pm

Only seven?
William_White
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Jester316 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:42 pm

William_White wrote:Only seven?

Reading comprehension....

I said "at least". If you can't comprehend what someone has written, you probably shouldn't be playing with HPA systems.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Postby ogrejager » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:15 pm

Jester316 wrote:I said "at least". If you can't comprehend what someone has written, you probably shouldn't be playing with HPA systems.

That's funny, right there.

Airsoft's "fear" of HPA systems is amusing. Pretty much every kid who plays paintball anymore has an HPA system for his marker. They're also adjustable. I guess the difference is that if you up a paintball to 1,500 fps, it breaks in your barrel, while our BBs will just happily go put a hole in someone.

To the OP--your time, energy, and funds, even that which you direct at airsoft, as a 15 year old has many better ways to be spent.

Leave the HPA snipers to someone older, with more money, and some perspective on life.

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Postby Seagreen » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:29 pm

I did some extensive testing with HPA/CO2 conversions with the older Tanaka M700..and the KJ M700. I tried about everything...upgraded parts...different pressure settings, different lube on orings..and even completely altering the bolt system with different internal parts. What I found was this.....

Either gas system had an upper-limit. I found that to be between 600-700fps with a .20g bb. When I cross tested these velocities, the only BB that would even hold a somewhat true flightpath was a .43g bb.

The best accuracy was achieved just beyond the 550fps mark w/.2's. (560ish) Using .30's, .36's, and .43's, the hop-up was actually working properly and kept a very consistent POA/POI. Anything really beyond that and the BB started to knuckle-ball and do whatever it wanted.

So, yes..there is a safety issue with HPA converted guns, but not so much as a lethal level of impact, but definitely a close range impact/tissue damage.

Should they be used on the field at all? I don't believe there should be special rules for "special" people...so, if a promoter won't allow some tard with one, then that should be the answer for everyone.
"5 color Woodland....it's the new thing."
Seagreen

Team: AIRSOC

Postby William_White » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:40 pm

ogrejager wrote: pretty much every kid who plays paintball anymore has an HPA system for his marker. They're also adjustable. I guess the difference is that if you up a paintball to 1,500 fps, it breaks in your barrel, while our BBs will just happily go put a hole in someone.

To the OP--your time, energy, and funds, even that which you direct at airsoft, as a 15 year old has many better ways to be spent.

Leave the HPA snipers to someone older, with more money, and some perspective on life.

I already did it. I did it for safety, consistency, and cost savings in the long run.

Jester316 wrote:I said "at least". If you can't comprehend what someone has written, you probably shouldn't be playing with HPA systems.

Reading comprehension and figuring out, by yourself, How to convert a green gas magazine to HPA and being able to be responsible with a high power airsoft gun Have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Reading comprehension has to do with getting good grades in English class.

Seagreen wrote:
So, yes..there is a safety issue with HPA converted guns, but not so much as a lethal level of impact, but definitely a close range impact/tissue damage.

Should they be used on the field at all? I don't believe there should be special rules for "special" people...so, if a promoter won't allow some tard with one, then that should be the answer for everyone.
thank you seagreen
William_White
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Catch22 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:48 pm

Reading comprehension has to do with understanding what people have written, and you have failed once again at understanding what Jester wrote. Stay golden.
Catch22

Next

Return to Safety/Legality