The Dangers of Wearing Mesh Goggles

Airsoft safety discussion. Post here with questions about laws and safety concerns.

Postby PanzerFaust » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:07 pm

CommieHunter wrote:
Snowman wrote:What brand bbs were you using? FPS of gun that hit you?

FPS was between 300-340 or so. Dunno the brand, but maybe if we track down the shooter, he may know.

The BB's were either an airsplat .25bio or a .30g AONW house brand precision polish fired from a 350fps rifle that belonged to me but had been picked up by another opfor player for the shot while I was going for a knife kill.
PanzerFaust

Team: N/A

Postby ScaredShooter » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:17 am

Hmm yes.

What Variable said.. This makes me sad-I like mesh.

Except I really don't like any style of eyepro. You get metal with holes and compromised visibility or goggles/glasses that scratch and fog. It's the name of the game in airsoft.

I have that same style of mesh goggles. About a week ago they took a direct hit and showed a (very) minor/miniscule dent, but other than that they were unharmed. It's a little bump you wouldn't know about unless you ran your finger directly over.

So I'm just chiming in on the Most the time the BBs bounce right off, but sometimes bad things happen.

It's amazing that the BB fragmented into small enough portions to fit through those baby gaps, and even more so that those fragments still had enough energy after impact to embed themselves in your eye real nicely.

I am also sorry about your eye injury and how expensive and sucky that probably was.
Doesn't communist sound more dangerous than fascist?
ScaredShooter
Ranger
Ranger

Team: {FAG}

Postby Runestone » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:33 am

Damn Church, that really sucks. It was kinda always in the back of my mind that it "could" happen, because I say a few BBs powder-ize, but I never though it would be anything so serious. Keep us posted on your condition man. Also to agree with the others, this is very disconcerting to me as I like mesh.
Runestone
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Riddick » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:01 am

All bb's can flake and will flake if shot at a very close range. Doesn't matter on brand or type of bb. ACM mesh is softer on a bb than stamped steel. I've tested that theory myself. Mesh should never be used indoors or in close combat environments. S4 it was strictly forbidden according to their insurance policy to do so. Not sure what kind of janky outfit Terry is running nowdays but that should be a diffinate "no go" due to the increased likely hood of picking up particles/flakes.

I have used mesh since 2004 without a issue but I only use outdoors where the engagements are farther.

Sorry church to hear what happened. May you have a speedy recovery
Riddick

Postby John_234 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:27 pm

I tend to basically pair prescriptions or shooting glasses when I run a mesh mask / goggle, but that's a pretty tough thing to do with some of the really slim-line goggle setups. So, just an idea: Maybe use the prescription lens inserts designed for some tactical goggles with just plain shatter resistant lenses?
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”- Albert Einstein
John_234
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Tactical Church » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:20 pm

Hey guys so just an update. I got to admin today at Res IV and it seems my eye is almost fully healed. I had some slight pain from time to time but nothing like when the pieces of plastic were still in my eye.

I do agree with Riddick that mesh should never be used indoors. I must say that was my own choice and no one else's fault. But all is well and i am back to being a happy camper once again with both eyes working quite well.

Thanks for all the comments and wishes of getting well. Happy playing all
Never leave a man behind.

Tactical Church
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Infidel » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:34 pm

See Tom I knew you were fine. Besides it's not like you don't have another eye. What a whiner ;)
Infidel
Soldier
Soldier

Team: SOTA

Re: The Dangers of Wearing Mesh Goggles

Postby Chairmanlao » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:57 pm

Get well soon!!
Chairmanlao
Soldier
Soldier

Postby dr.feelgood » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:34 pm

You could almost have a layer of saran wrap under the mesh to prevent the backspray of bb particulates. Maybe I'll look into some mods for my goggles and see how bad the fogging is.
RDWHAHB
dr.feelgood
Specops
Specops

Team: DRAT

Postby DJ » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:35 pm

Sounds like you have a corneal abrasion. Very painful but it heals quickly. Re the mesh, speaking from an industrial perspective, there are many applications, including logging that use mesh face shields. All of the face shields that I have seen require safety eyeglasses to be worn under the shield to prevent exactly what happened to you. Perhaps some non sealed clear ANSI eyepro in addition to the mesh will be the cure you seek.
Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent,
and discerning if he holds his tongue.
DJ
Specops
Specops

Postby Junto » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:42 pm

In my opinion, putting a solid lens under mesh goggles completely nullifies the point of wearing mesh in the first place. -shrug- Whatever, though.
Junto

Team: DRAT

Postby Sir Stubby Eyre » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:48 pm

I feel for you, a while back I got metal in my eye and it rusted. They had to grind it out.
Not fun.
Sir Stubby Eyre
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Jester316 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:09 pm

Dish soap trick on solid lenses results in no fogging if done correctly. I used it for CQC7 and was wearing a a helmet, ESS full seal goggles, and a blaclava. No fog at all.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Matt » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:03 am

CQB rounds are usually short anyway, fogging isn't as much of a problem as it can be outdoors. You might be in a battle that lasts all of 10 minutes. Besides, mesh can be a real pain in the a$$ when you are indoors and it's dark, it's like running around blind. Especially in a scenario where you need to be able to ID your target quickly, you're going to want clear lenses.
Matt

Team: APST

Postby 'Skyhawk' » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:11 pm

Glad to hear you are doing better!

It can and does happen. I tried mesh one time at an outdoor game when I was a new player. It resulted in fragments in the eyes in two different rounds during the day. I flushed my eyes with water and luckily had no ill effects. I ordered a pair of ESS Turbofan goggles the next day, problem solved. Now I buff the BB marks off my lenses instead of cleaning fragments out of my eyes.

I would never wear mesh of any type without safety glasses on under them. The instructions on my mesh goggles say "Always wear safety glasses under goggles" Good advice.....
"It's not a tough decision as you can see....I can blow you away or you can ride with me" - Beastie Boys (RIP MCA)
'Skyhawk'
Soldier
Soldier

PreviousNext

Return to Safety/Legality