event idea... just pondering.

Airsoft safety discussion. Post here with questions about laws and safety concerns.

Postby Darius137 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:29 pm

Before you do a game on Atlantis, try a skirmish then a milsim game near a community. Get a good name in the community to make people invest in such a game, then give it a go. This is probably 5 years off for you to do.
Member of Rushing Russians KBДB (Cascadian VDV/Airborne) chapter.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/KEBAB.PARTY/
Darius137

Team: RR KBAB

Postby Minerva » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:53 pm

Darius137 wrote:Before you do a game on Atlantis, try a skirmish then a milsim game near a community. Get a good name in the community to make people invest in such a game, then give it a go. This is probably 5 years off for you to do.

Not a bad idea though for someone already established ;)
"Minerva's hot dog is the biggest"-Minerva
Minerva
Ranger
Ranger

Team: N/A

Postby mossy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:08 am

Nasty when I was there 2-3 years ago they had a CG detachment there. The Navy also has their SAR birds there.
mossy
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Night_Stocker » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:12 am

I wasn't actually thinking seriously about doing it... just tossing the idea in the metaphorical tumble dry of this forum. the idea came from A: trying to get a OLCMSS game in the well-forested PNW and B: a casual banter about the awesomeness of doing airsoft on Sucia Island.

BTW: if anyone feels impassioned enough about doing a game on Sucia Island, go right ahead... ;)
If $400,000 a year is low-class, I'm totally f***ed.
Night_Stocker
Soldier
Soldier

Team: 9/G

Postby Mr. Technicality » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:55 pm

I've been to Sucia numerous times on sailing trips with my folks. The biggest issue I foresee is how to tell everyone else to stay away for a day or two. It's a popular gunkholing destination. Even if you could get the state parks and the Coast Guard on-board, it would still be an issue. They'd need to be patrolling constantly to keep vacationers out of harm's way. It simply wouldn't be worth their time to close off the park to the public when they can just maintain the status quo and take in their nightly moorage fees.

There's also a huge possibility of injury. The terrain is rough, with hundred-foot cliffs and boulder piles on half of the beaches. Someone could strand themselves if they try to flank around on the beach and the tide comes in. They could break their ankle if they try to do parkour across the boulders. They could break anything and everything if they fall off a cliff.

You'd need enough people with enough boats to get people and supplies in and out, plus the CG boats it would take to keep the public away. If you want land vehicles, then you'd need to hire a landing craft as well.

And besides the difficulty of isolating the area, the hazardous terrain, and the necessity of a flotilla of cooperating boats, there are all the normal concerns such as insurance, player base, props, food, and how much everything will cost.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be awesome. I'm not saying I haven't thought about it before. And there's certainly nothing wrong with throwing crazy ideas around. But it just wouldn't work.
I'm a "fair weather" airsofter. I only play in the pouring rain, freezing cold, or broiling heat.
Mr. Technicality
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Night_Stocker » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:38 am

well, Mr. Technicality (aptly named, I see ;) ) when I first posted, I forgot about the cliffs. I can definitely see how Sucia is virtually impossible to make even close to safe.

the need to isolate the island never even crossed my mind until you mentioned it; and I KNOW the USCG would not be able nor willing to use the manpower and watercraft to patrol around the highest crack of Washington to make sure no "regular American" can disturb those "pesky airsofters" while they go play war with their toy guns. :cry:

all in all, I would have to say Mr. Technicality just put the last nail in the coffin. Thank you everyone for your insight, and happy trails!

*this hopefully now concludes this mental exercise* :)
If $400,000 a year is low-class, I'm totally f***ed.
Night_Stocker
Soldier
Soldier

Team: 9/G

Previous

Return to Safety/Legality