Actual field medics?

Airsoft safety discussion. Post here with questions about laws and safety concerns.

Actual field medics?

Postby DELTA0125 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:20 am

So, it came to my attention that some fields have people actually trained in first aid etc. etc.

If I brought my qualification cards with me and showed them to an event host would that make me an "actual" field medic?

PS: I already know the legality involved as it was covered in my training.
DELTA0125
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Re: Actual field medics?

Postby Pork » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:25 am

I second this. Having certifications for BLS/First Aid/Emergency Medical Tech...
Pork
Soldier
Soldier

Postby DELTA0125 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:29 am

Mine happens to be CPR/AED/First aid 8)
DELTA0125
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Jester316 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:33 am

There are usually a few of us at games who are medically trained, and the hosts know who we are. You should just enjoy the game and not worry about it. Those of us who are known have more then just CPR/AED/First Aid certs.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby DELTA0125 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:42 am

Jester316 wrote:There are usually a few of us at games who are medically trained, and the hosts know who we are. You should just enjoy the game and not worry about it. Those of us who are known have more then just CPR/AED/First Aid certs.

Yeah, but I think it should be brought to the host's attention in case they need more than one person or two people etc.
DELTA0125
Grunt
Grunt

Postby McNair » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:03 am

The few people who are usually in attendance are likely enough to stabilize someone until medical units can arrive.

I've seen a few people get hurt at games and everyone that was first aid trained thought they could help. Like often, they just got in the way.
McNair

Postby DELTA0125 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:07 am

Yeah, but still...
Also on a side note I may go to college for EMT classes starting next year.
DELTA0125
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Steve » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:45 am

The event hosts generally know who is medically trained. Generally, if somebody gets hurt badly enough to need medical attention, I'd imagine the admins would put out a net call for anybody with the skills and supplies to help out if one of the "regular" docs wasn't in the area.

Also, as an aside, a CPR card does not a medic make. Heck, even somebody who has been through Army CLS classes ends up with less unimpressive credentioals, and I still wouldn't want a CLS working on me if I had another option. Heck, I managed to "graduate" that course, and if they'll let me in to the club, that's saying something. Just my opinion, but if you aren't on the National Registry, you probably shouldn't be using the term "medic". Also, First Aid / CPR cards give you a VERY limited scope of practice. Exceed that limited scope of practice, and you greatly increase the likelihood of bad shit happening, both to your patient (from screwing up) and yourself (from the lawyer types afterward). Know your scope of practice, and stay within it.
This Week In Airsoft wrote:This Week in Airsoft stands behind its statement... The internet and YouTube can be your teacher.

Steve

Postby Nodachi » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:17 am

That being said, there are such things as good samaritan laws that protect you legally. Of course, you need to recognize the limits of whatever medical training you have, but if you're genuinely trying to help someone you believe is in danger and there is no one else available, then the good samaritan laws apply.

But yes, don't get in the way if someone is actually applying the proper treatment.

I'm sure the admins are generally covered and in some places are required to have someone with EMT training in attendance by their insurance companies.
Nodachi
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Darius137 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:21 am

If you get injured anywhere near me I am putting four tourniquets on you and letting you walk off the field with the one leg I didn't seal up.

RANGER THAT!
Member of Rushing Russians KBДB (Cascadian VDV/Airborne) chapter.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/KEBAB.PARTY/
Darius137

Team: RR KBAB

Postby Jester316 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:52 am

DELTA0125 wrote:
Jester316 wrote:There are usually a few of us at games who are medically trained, and the hosts know who we are. You should just enjoy the game and not worry about it. Those of us who are known have more then just CPR/AED/First Aid certs.

Yeah, but I think it should be brought to the host's attention in case they need more than one person or two people etc.

I applaud you for getting those certs. But like has been said, you have a very limited amount of knowledge, and that lack of knowledge can get someone hurt even more. Like has been said, the hosts know who to call upon when something happens.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Postby DELTA0125 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:20 am

Well, while I might only have that certification I do have more experiance than that first hand.
Also I seriously doubt we would be playing with someone certified as an M.D.
DELTA0125
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Cyph34r » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:04 pm

As everyone else has said, the event hosts tend to know for the most part who does and doesnt have medical training, and if someone on the field needs medical attention, it'll get figured out.

As an event host, I really don't care if someone has "more experience" than their certification states, for legal purposes, i'm only interested in if they have certification, and what that certification says they're capable of. As a contract computer employee, I regularly hate people who only go by certification, but its a bit different when I'm the one who will be potentially sued over what happens at my events.
"Watch Black Hawk Down. Copy EVERYTHING the Somalis do.
It works great for Fragistan." -Welshy McSheeplove
Cyph34r
Soldier
Soldier

Team: {FAG}

Postby Solid » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:18 pm

I wouldn't touch them more than the minimum needed to keep them alive (like roll them over on their back and that it, CPR if their heart crapped out on 'em) unless I was on the ambulance. Way too many legal issues just waiting to get stepped on if you try and treat him and do even the smallest thing incorrectly. Mommy and Daddy love to get free money because you kinked their babies neck from opening their airway too enthusiastically. Just leave it up to the hosts and admins to take care of it.

Welshy McSheeplove wrote:Kid, Jester is an EMT.

Don't argue with him.

Lol, lay down the law XD He's right though, don't argue with Jester, he knows the in's and out's of EMT work.
Solid

Team: DRAT

Postby Jester316 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:25 pm

Solid wrote:I wouldn't touch them more than the minimum needed to keep them alive (like roll them over on their back and that it,

Welshy McSheeplove wrote:Kid, Jester is an EMT.

Don't argue with him.

Lol, lay down the law XD He's right though, don't argue with Jester, he knows the in's and out's of EMT work.

YOU JUST PARALYZED TIMMY BECAUSE HE HAD A C4 FRACTURE THAT WAS UNSTABLE!!!

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Next

Return to Safety/Legality