Actual field medics?

Airsoft safety discussion. Post here with questions about laws and safety concerns.

Re: Actual field medics?

Postby ogrejager » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:36 pm

You beat me to that, Jester, and is a case in point about staying out of the way if you don't know what to do.

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Jester316 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:10 pm

ogrejager wrote:You beat me to that, Jester, and is a case in point about staying out of the way if you don't know what to do.

Ogre: Solid is a medic in the Army, so I know he knows better. I was just making fun of him...

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Postby Steve » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:14 pm

TC3, baby.

Strap a tourniquet on, fight the fight, and get the heck off the "x". Compromised airway? Dude's probably dead anyway. Heart stopped? Dude is day-ud, son. 8)

And that is basically what CLS boils down to, as far as practical application. Sure, there is a bunch more to it, once you are in a safe area. But step one for bleeding from an appendage is to slap a tourniquet on the wounded limb, regardless of flow rate. Step 2 is haul a$$.

The scope of practice of a CLS is significantly greater than the scope of practice for someone with a "First Aid" / basic CPR. The scope of practice for a CLS is generally smaller than it would take to be truly useful outside of a firefight, or the immediate aftermath of a similar situation. If your scope of practice is <= a CLS (joking referred to as a Combat LifeTaker, because of how often we screw things up), you probably shouldn't be volunteering to go rooting around in bleeding people.

"Medic" is a title that is reserved for the folks who can and will snatch the life back into somebody with their bare hands in the middle of the shit, not somebody who knows which side of a band-aid has the sticky stuff on it.

Just saying, is all.
This Week In Airsoft wrote:This Week in Airsoft stands behind its statement... The internet and YouTube can be your teacher.

Steve

Team: N/A

Postby Solid » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:31 pm

Jester316 wrote:
ogrejager wrote:You beat me to that, Jester, and is a case in point about staying out of the way if you don't know what to do.

Ogre: Solid is a medic in the Army, so I know he knows better. I was just making fun of him...

D; I'm such a terrible Medic... And Timmy shouldn't be such a phony pony. :doubt: His mom can BVM his happy a$$ for the rest of his life, doesn't need to breathe on his own ;)

Steve wrote:If your scope of practice is <= a CLS (joking referred to as a Combat LifeTaker, because of how often we screw things up), you probably shouldn't be volunteering to go rooting around in bleeding people.

Funny story, got a CLS guy to blow into an asherman chest seal's flutter valve then put a knee on it for a sucking chest wound yesterday in a trauma lane... Good times.
Solid

Team: DRAT

Postby Snowman » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:26 pm

I carry an AED in my pack like in BF3, so I'm a certed combat medic. Just gotta be careful when they lost an arm, or you could irreparably damage the wounded appendage.
top lel
Snowman

Postby Hoff » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:05 pm

My opinion, as someone that's held certifications of CPR/ first aid/ whatever through EMT.

first aid/ CPR - you don't know shit (I slept through most of that "class" and still passed)
first responder - you still don't know shit
EMT-B - you know some shit (though it is kind of scary some of the people they pass) and then you start actually doing calls and realize you still don't really know shit. From that point on, knowledge of shit is gained through experience and higher education.
Bringing Down the Hammer.
The forever n00b! (Getting tacticool)
Newly self-proclaimed Mossberg 500 trigger group assembly expert
Hoff

Postby DELTA0125 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:04 am

So, in short if you have a branch stuck in your neck or chest or are bleeding from the aorta to just leave you there and act like I didn't see anything and the most I should do is just wisper in your ear while your dieing saying "Dont worry help is on the way jester or ogre will find you shortly" or atleast that is the just of what I am getting.
W/E if you guy's dont want help when you need it all you had to do was say so. 8)
DELTA0125
Grunt
Grunt

Postby LiquidSnak » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:03 am

Or you could do the responsible thing, especially if it's a major trauma to the neck or chest region. You have no idea about trauma. If someone gets burned or cut and you're on hand with the proper bandage or salve and know how, go right ahead. Someone is on the ground with a bleeding branch protruding from a body part, you go bleeding find ogre, jester, or an admin, and they will come find the people that they know are properly trained.

CPR cert doesn't mean anything except for you know how to pump a guys chest. Did they also tell you that you have to keep doing it until help arrives? And that you should be around the rate of 80-100 compressions per minute? Think you're up to that after your fifteen minute class?
Biggest Postwhore, 2008
Osprey wrote:
McNair wrote:Are you guys really that f***ing daft?
I'm sorry I didn't know I had to hear to read a post

I leave for FIVE MINUTES, and there's flies having SEX ON MY KEYS D:
LiquidSnak

Postby DELTA0125 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:34 am

LiquidSnak wrote:Or you could do the responsible thing, especially if it's a major trauma to the neck or chest region. You have no idea about trauma. If someone gets burned or cut and you're on hand with the proper bandage or salve and know how, go right ahead. Someone is on the ground with a f***ing branch protruding from a body part, you go f***ing find ogre, jester, or an admin, and they will come find the people that they know are properly trained.

CPR cert doesn't mean anything except for you know how to pump a guys chest. Did they also tell you that you have to keep doing it until help arrives? And that you should be around the rate of 80-100 compressions per minute? Think you're up to that after your fifteen minute class?

Problem is I dont even know who Jester or Ogre are IRL and I would rather have someone certified in CPR/first aid/AED work on me than someone who "fell asleep" and passed.
And if your wondering they changed the compression rate to a 30/2 ratio.
(anyone who actually paid attention in class would know what the ratio is)
I mean I am not trying to be an asshat but you are basically saying that if you were injured and someone with proper knowledge of what to do was there you would say no to the help unless they showed you certification papers first which is quite frankly retarded IMO. Basically it is like "Hmm, I have an injury that can be easily treated by this person but unless they show me certification I want to bleed out!" See what I am saying? That is what I am seeing from the posts in this thread. ;)

*EDIT*: Furthermore my class was not some lifegaurd fifteen minute class it was actually a 12 hour course.
DELTA0125
Grunt
Grunt

Postby ogrejager » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:42 am

First, take me off the list--it's not Jester or ogre--I'm just a firefighter, not an EMT. Granted, "just a firefighter" is a helluva lot more than "just a 15 minute class."

Second, no, don't whisper sweet nothings in the guy's ear. The best thing that even an EMT can do is dial 911.

Call. For. Backup.

Scream as loud as you can, "THIS GUY NEEDS HELP!"

ogrejager

Postby Wombat Six » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:45 am

DELTA0125 wrote:
LiquidSnak wrote:Or you could do the responsible thing, especially if it's a major trauma to the neck or chest region. You have no idea about trauma. If someone gets burned or cut and you're on hand with the proper bandage or salve and know how, go right ahead. Someone is on the ground with a f***ing branch protruding from a body part, you go f***ing find ogre, jester, or an admin, and they will come find the people that they know are properly trained.

Problem is I dont even know who Jester or Ogre are IRL and I would rather have someone certified in CPR/first aid/AED work on me than someone who "fell asleep" and passed.
And if your wondering they changed the compression rate to a 30/2 ratio.
(anyone who actually paid attention in class would know what the ratio is)
I mean I am not trying to be an asshat but you are basically saying that if you were injured and someone with proper knowledge of what to do was there you would say no to the help unless they showed you certification papers first which is quite frankly retarded IMO. Basically it is like "Hmm, I have an injury that can be easily treated by this person but unless they show me certification I want to bleed out!" See what I am saying? That is what I am seeing from the posts in this thread. ;)

*EDIT*: Furthermore my class was not some lifegaurd fifteen minute class it was actually a 12 hour course.

That's great. Good job. I've taken Basic First Aid, Adult/Child/Infant CPR, Basic Life Support for Professional Rescuers, Wilderness First Aid, and combat medical training courtesy of my friends in the Navy and Marine Corps, and had the pleasure of evacuating a patient from a wilderness environment with a suspected neck fracture and altered mental status (yay concussions!). I still wouldn't want me working on me if I knew there was a perfectly good EMT-B or better nearby.

We're not saying your limited medical training is useless. We're saying your scope of practice as an unlicensed layperson is incredibly limited, and "Good Samaritan" laws aside, stay the shazaam away from me if I'm injured and go get someone who's trained and whose a$$ I can sue the pants off if they shazaam me up (or my family can sue the pants off if I'm incapacitated or dead). I don't want you trying to remember how to treat a sucking chest wound or improvising when you could be finding someone who treated one last week and who happens to be carrying their EMT-B gear.

Guess what's the best thing you can do, as far as I'm concerned: start yelling for a medic and make it damned obvious you mean a real one, not the kid wearing a red cross for the game.
Ludere Causa Ludendi
Wombat Six
Specops
Specops

Postby DELTA0125 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:04 pm

Whatever. I am done with this thread as apparently your so called "EMT's" dont have an IQ since they would not want help at all and are only picking out parts of this thread and I can tell I would not want them anywhere near me if I were injured since they dont have the intelligence to tell the course was not some 15 minute boyscouts BS but an actual EMT-1 course that was 12 hours at our local university. I can also tell your "EMT's" are not real because all EMT's in my state would want any help they can get no matter how many people are on hand.

Admins lock this when you feel you want to thank you.
DELTA0125
Grunt
Grunt

Postby DELTA0125 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:50 pm

Honestly I must say that I apparently must make another post here!
I too get a laugh out of the trolling in this thread and on this forum.
Who said that I said I was a "badass medic"? I have to say that made me laugh more than the people here with no proof but saying that they are a EMT. Also who said the 12 hour course only covered the basics which is apparently absolutly nothing but crayon drawings to bring home and put on the fridge? You do realize you put an IV needle in a vain in the back of the hand or in the inside of the elbow and not in your own eye right? You also must know how to preform a tracheotomy with hands on experiance since I apparrently know "jack shit" huh? Oh, wait I need to be an EMT for that dont I? Oh, you're seizuring out on the field sorry cant help you I am not an "EMT". ;) I am not the immature one here just mearly repeating what you have told me you guy's want done if I run into you in the field if you are injured.

Anyways, I'm out.
DELTA0125
Grunt
Grunt

Postby ogrejager » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:13 pm

DELTA0125 wrote:Honestly I must say that I apparently must make another post here!
I too get a laugh out of the trolling in this thread and on this forum.
Who said that I said I was a "badass medic"? I have to say that made me laugh more than the people here with no proof but saying that they are a EMT. Also who said the 12 hour course only covered the basics which is apparently absolutly nothing but crayon drawings to bring home and put on the fridge? You do realize you put an IV needle in a vain in the back of the hand or in the inside of the elbow and not in your own eye right? You also must know how to preform a tracheotomy with hands on experiance since I apparrently know "jack shit" huh? Oh, wait I need to be an EMT for that dont I? Oh, you're seizuring out on the field sorry cant help you I am not an "EMT". ;) I am not the immature one here just mearly repeating what you have told me you guy's want done if I run into you in the field if you are injured.

Anyways, I'm out.

Jesus. If you do medical work at all like you spell, don't come anywhere near me if I'm injured, please.

Look, kid, there's a reason I'm not an EMT. I'm a firefighter. I like putting wet stuff on hot stuff. I do it as a volunteer. But, because I volunteer in a rural area I go on a LOT of medical calls. If a 12 hour class could make me as capable as the EMTs, I'd take the class. But, no, to be an EMT takes a bit more. My wife, who is an EMT, tells me the course was 16 WEEKS long, six hours a week.

Go back to school. You don't know "jack shit".

ogrejager

Postby DELTA0125 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:20 pm

Ah, but I never said I was qualified as an EMT.
All I wanted to know was if an event host should know about my qualifications.
I dont even know how this forum can have "voted best forum" on the home page when all you guy's do is shoo away ANYONE with more qualifications than the average player.
DELTA0125
Grunt
Grunt

PreviousNext

Return to Safety/Legality