Birds and BBs?

Airsoft safety discussion. Post here with questions about laws and safety concerns.

Birds and BBs?

Postby ogrejager » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:09 am

Here's the odd question of the week/month:

Will birds pick up and eat BB's? I'm talking with a property owner, but his biggest concern is right here--he raises birds on the property that are his main revenue source. He's concerned that the birds will eat the pellets instead of food.

Please--I don't need unsubstantiated opinion, I need people who have chickens (or other birds) and have watched what happens. For example, there's a "few" BB's around my property and my free-range chickens leave them alone. I just need more points of data on this.

Ivan? Your folks have a farm--any problems there?

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Team: SpecDet1

Re: Birds and BBs?

Postby Rapture » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:08 am

I am having a difficult time finding factual information on studies relating to biodegradable BB's and wildlife. This is my speculation, purely from a medical standpoint: Most biodegradable airsoft BB's are produced using starch or a similar agricultural ingredient. When swallowed, the acidity of the stomach should assist in digesting and dissolving the ingredients of the BB if it is truly biodegradable. I could consult a veterinarian, but I assume that the same characteristics in the physiology of an animal will process the BB in the same way, rendering it harmless to the animal. I am now going to swallow a biodegradable BB purely for scientific purposes to assess the validity of my previous statements, I'll let you guys know if it comes out whole in a day.
Rapture
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Postby ogrejager » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:13 am

Yep, I couldn't find any good studies, either. Just opinions.

Swallow a handful, please, to simulate a bird eating 4-5 of them.

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Postby Orwell » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:26 am

Are we really doing this? Rapture- 10-20. Or fifty. Just eat a whole midcap's worth. Video or it didn't happen. ;)

As long as the pellets won't get stuck in their airways, I think it should be fine. We should stress test the pellets for chewing, too, because although birds don't chew they do occasionally bite kernels of corn in half, etc.
Orwell
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Payback » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:40 am

Pictures or it didn't happen :lol:

My lab eats everything, bb's included. I know this because when i'm picking up the crap i see bb's whole in the turds. I will take a handfull of bio's out to my inlaws and toss them in the chicken coop and see if they eat them. I googled it also and some chicken forums (yeah i was supprised there were forums about chickens) said they ignore them, or pick them up and drop them once they realize it's not food.

On a side note tho, don't birds usually eat small gravel to help digestion? I would think a rock would be worse than a bio bb.
AKA: rbm33

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty
Payback
Ranger
Ranger

Team: A.S.T.D.

Postby MetraDirty » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:48 am

I guess someone should inspect your stool to see if you called your hits. ;)
Tan vs. Green airsoft game no. 9532.
MetraDirty
Specops
Specops

Postby Mufasa » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:39 pm

What sort of birds does the guy raise, the size of the bird probably matters.

If they're chickens, I've never seen my chickens eat bb's. But they do eat small rocks so I doubt a bb would affect them.

Just to make sure I'll go throw some at my chickens :)
"Bullets sound the same in every language."
Mufasa
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Rapture » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:41 pm

1:41PM: Just ate lunch about 20 minutes ago, still feeling nothing except occasional gas.
Rapture
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Ivan Daylovich™ » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:45 pm

Pure anecdotal evidence. My dad has a few bird feeders on the front porch that attracts quite a few birds. There's also a good number of BBs out there, 'cause that's where I test my guns. I have never seen a bird eat a BB. They don't even pay much attention to them.
Ivan Daylovich™

Team: {FAG}

Postby Kitfox » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:12 pm

First of all, you need to AT LEAST address 2 things: First, what the type of bird he is concerned about.
...and second, the physical digestive system of the bird,.relative
to its age.
I Have chickens, chickens have a "gizard" which is the part that is made to collect small bits of grit, sand,and rocks... all of these "break down" plastic does not... am will find the answer soon,.. within a day or two.I have joined a poultry forum to discuss this in detail with other vetrinarians and chicken owners.

I cannot see a problem with a pellet passing their digestive tract unless it is a "dehydrated chicken".

plastic pellets are pretty smooth and I cant imagine it hurting them.. I will contact you soon.
~Kitfox

"I'm here to kick some a$$.. and chew Bubble-Gum......AND I'M ALL OUTTA BUBBLE-GUM!"
Kitfox
Grunt
Grunt

Postby McNair » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:51 pm

I know my friends' dog likes to eat them.
McNair

Postby DJ » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:20 pm

ogrejager wrote:Here's the odd question of the week/month:

Will birds pick up and eat BB's? I'm talking with a property owner, but his biggest concern is right here--he raises birds on the property that are his main revenue source. He's concerned that the birds will eat the pellets instead of food.

Please--I don't need unsubstantiated opinion, I need people who have chickens (or other birds) and have watched what happens. For example, there's a "few" BB's around my property and my free-range chickens leave them alone. I just need more points of data on this.

Ivan? Your folks have a farm--any problems there?

Birds eat stones so that they can grind up their food....gizzard stones....I'm thinking perhaps geese or a larger bird maybe turkey (stupid too) may ingest some of these. You hunt, so you probably recall why steel shot replaced lead that was being ingested by water fowl. BB's are a bit bigger, so not so sure..
Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent,
and discerning if he holds his tongue.
DJ
Specops
Specops

Postby Rapture » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:31 pm

No sign of the BB yet.
Rapture
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Jester316 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:50 pm

Rapture wrote:No sign of the BB yet.

Are you dissecting your fecal material? It may have been buried inside so you could not see it from a casual glance.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Postby wikingwarrior » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:13 pm

I've seen my grandparent's chickens eat plastic BBs, they're not dead yet and it's been about 4-6 months.
wikingwarrior
Grunt
Grunt

Next

Return to Safety/Legality