Firearms Safety Rules (Airsoft, too!)

Airsoft safety discussion. Post here with questions about laws and safety concerns.

Firearms Safety Rules (Airsoft, too!)

Postby Orwell » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:15 am

This came up, indirectly, in another thread. I thought it could use its own topic.

EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW THESE:
4 rules of firearm (AEG, GBB, etc.) safety:
1) Every gun is always loaded, even when it's not.
2) Keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot.
3) Never point your gun (AEG, GBB, etc.) at something you don't intend to kill or destroy.
4) Be sure of your target and its backstop.

EDIT: Since some take issue with Real-Steel rules and find adaption difficult, I thought I'd explain:

1) This rule is meant to determine your attitude. Safety can't be subconscious. You'll start to slip.
2) If you don't get why this is important in both airsoft and real-steel, then you need to stop playing. Go home.
3) Kill or destroy can be retitled "Kill" (as in, kill in game) or damage. After all, pellets will drive a hole in sheetrock. Not in carpet, though! You could rethink this as "Be aware of what you're pointing your gun at."
4) Be sure of your target means you must be sure of what you're shooting at. Know what it is. A great airsoft example of this is the rule, "DON'T BLINDFIRE." As for the backstop, I'm sure a few twelve year-old kids have put pellets through a piece of paper or cardboard and into mummy's car.

Hope that clarifies things.
Last edited by Orwell on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Orwell
Ranger
Ranger

Team: N/A

Re: Firearms Safety Rules (Airsoft, too!)

Postby Deep6 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:40 am

Rules to live by. I rarely if ever take off my eye protection at an event, even in the parking lot / lunch area. This is mainly because accidents happen, but also due to many not exercising firearm safety. I understand it's human nature to get too comfortable with potentially dangerous instruments and that airsoft "guns" are regarded as toys. Maybe I'm a little paranoid.
Deep6
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Jerm_G » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:55 am

Depending on the organization and instructor, those rules range from 3 to 5 rules. I prefer the latter.

I teach using these:

1: Treat all firearms as if they are always loaded.
2: never point a firearm at anything you are not willing, and justified to shoot.
3: keep your firearm on safe untill you are on target, ready, and justified to fire.
4: keep your finger straight, off the trigger and out of the trigger guard in untill you are on target, willing, and justified to fire.
5: know your target, what is in front of your target, and behind your target.

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer." -Major I.L. Holdridge USMC
Jerm_G
Soldier
Soldier

Team: AIRSOC

Postby ogrejager » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:40 am

Jer,

I drop your third one. While using your safety is a good thing, never trust them. If you don't trust them, teach people to not trust them. So, while using it is important, your other rules are WAY more important.

If I had a dollar for every time I've said something to an airsofter because his muzzle was pointed at me because he wasn't paying attention, I could probably quit my day job. I'm sure there's people reading this that I corrected last weekend at the chrono station.

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Catch22 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:23 am

As far as airsoft is concerned. I switch the safety off as soon as the game starts. Too many times I've seen people go to shoot and still have the safety on. Done it a few times myself.
Catch22

Postby ogrejager » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:34 am

I'm not even sure my safety works on my airsoft guns. I follow the other rules and don't generally use it. For the same reasons Catch mentioned.

For the record, I hate chronoing AK's. Their safeties are just plain anti-intuitive. I. Do. Not. Like. AK's.

Anyway, yeah, the big thing I see violated at airsoft games is muzzle control. That drives me nuts. Sorry to all of you I've corrected. Kudos to those of you that have at least apologized for it. Unlike that one kid at one of the Silverton games. I said, "muzzle control" and moved the barrel so it wasn't pointed at me. His response, was to take his little airsoft gun and put the muzzle directly against my chest while saying, "it's just a toy and don't tell me what to do."

...it went downhill after that....

ogrejager

Postby Jester316 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:40 am

ogrejager wrote:I'm not even sure my safety works on my airsoft guns. I follow the other rules and don't generally use it. For the same reasons Catch mentioned.

For the record, I hate chronoing AK's. Their safeties are just plain anti-intuitive. I. Do. Not. Like. AK's.

Anyway, yeah, the big thing I see violated at airsoft games is muzzle control. That drives me nuts. Sorry to all of you I've corrected. Kudos to those of you that have at least apologized for it. Unlike that one kid at one of the Silverton games. I said, "muzzle control" and moved the barrel so it wasn't pointed at me. His response, was to take his little airsoft gun and put the muzzle directly against my chest while saying, "it's just a toy and don't tell me what to do."

...it went downhill after that....

I would have taken that "toy" and thrown it across the field... But I have a history of throwing things...

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Postby Farmer » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:01 pm

I admit I made the mistake once. I shot the dog with my aeg. From that mistake however, it kicked all the Boy Scout, Army, Hunting safety lessons and I realized.....oops this isnt JUST a toy. Now, the only time I have the safety off my weapon is when activily shooting it, or on the game on call. When game is called, out goes the magazine, I fire it into the ground a few times to make sure it is empty (I wish I could figure out a better way to check the chamber) then safety goes on. Muzzle control is also something I strive to maintain. I am not perfect, I doubt anyone is in a environment like airsoft, with people activly running around, but I do try not to point my muzzle at anything I do not want to cease to be. My wife and friend who I target shoot aeg's with all the time, are starting to get it.
Farmer

Its a game....have fun or find something you do have fun at
Farmer
Soldier
Soldier

Postby book42 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:10 pm

Yah, we all make mistakes (myself included), but it is never, ever a bad idea to practice firearms safety rules, even with replicas, and or, toys. I can remember my Dad yelling at me when I pointed a plastic toy gun at someone in the car when I was a boy. And the thing didn't even have any projectiles! However, he was right to yell at me. My brother shot his own finger, because he assumed the aeg was not loaded.

And yes, probably the worse violation at airsoft events has to be muzzle control.

Best regards,

Kevin: a.k.a.- Book
If'n you ain't diein'... you ain't tryin'.
book42
Soldier
Soldier

Team: MSG Recon

Postby Jerm_G » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:34 pm

Rob-
Your right in that I don't trust it, however if the system has a safety, it should be used accordingly. As for safety manipulations, it doesn't bother me. I'm just as fast putting rounds down range working the safety or not. According to my PAC2 timer I register 6 rounds center mass from the ready position in 1.5 seconds at 15 yards with my AR15 (real and a piston gun). That includes working the safety. Safety manipulation comes with training. With proper training its a non issue. That being said if you gun does not have one, then you can drop the rule.

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer." -Major I.L. Holdridge USMC
Jerm_G
Soldier
Soldier

Team: AIRSOC

Postby Evil Zergling137 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:32 pm

Some of the people who are vets can get touchy. Mostly I think because they look real.

These types of rules fall to the lowest common denominator usually and that is exactly where these types of 'safety' rules came from.

None of these existed until the airsoft crowd got old enough to include vets.

My best advice, let the people who legit feel uncomfortable make these up then follow them. Enforce them only with the knowledge of why they exist and to that end.

The only significant safety concerns deal with eye protection. You know this because of the low amount of controls and the number of young children at games.
Evil Zergling137
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ogrejager » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:34 pm

Zerg,
You're showing a streak of idiocy. I am not a vet. I spend 40-50 days a year, though, carrying real guns in the field with real ammunition with buddies that I'd prefer not to shoot. Habits, though, become exactly that--habits. If you spend your time as a kid handling airsoft guns that look and feel real, when you get to use a real gun...well, you'll treat it the same. So if we practice safe use with AEGs, so will we with real guns. Where's the harm in that? Seriously, is there a down side to practicing safety with airsoft guns? I'm also pretty sure these rules existed before the airsoft community "got old enough to have vets" and I don't think it's the "lowest common denominator." Since when is gun safety about the lowest common denominator? Again, where's the harm in practicing safety?

Jer,
You're of course correct. My shotguns during duck season are always on safe and part of the reflexive shouldering action is to take the safety off. With new shooters, though, I like to emphasize how the safety "can't be trusted" and to remember the basics. Hell, I've hunted with experienced shooters that have had misfires. Was any one hurt? No. Why? Because we practice and use the basic rules--their firearms went off, but in a safe direction. Again, where's the harm in practicing safety.

ogrejager

Postby Jester316 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:38 pm

ogrejager wrote:Hell, I've hunted with experienced shooters that have had misfires. Was any one hurt? No. Why? Because we practice and use the basic rules--their firearms went off, but in a safe direction. Again, where's the harm in practicing safety.

Remind us again how you got your leg shot with a shotgun?

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Postby Orwell » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:43 pm

Evil Zergling137 wrote:These types of rules fall to the lowest common denominator usually and that is exactly where these types of 'safety' rules came from.

You are incorrect, sir. These "safety" rules were developed decades before you were born by a Colonel named Jeff Cooper, the man who is hailed for creating the modern handgun method and safety, a man who served in the military during World War II, a man who had a gun with him every day and learned how to treat it with respect. These rules were developed for everyone.

Edited for hindsight humility.
Last edited by Orwell on Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Orwell
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Evil Zergling137 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:44 pm

ogrejager wrote:If you spend your time as a kid handling airsoft guns that look and feel real, when you get to use a real gun...well, you'll treat it the same.

Evil Zergling137 wrote:Mostly I think because they look real.

ogrejager wrote:So if we practice safe use with AEGs, so will we with real guns. Where's the harm in that? Seriously, is there a down side to practicing safety with airsoft guns?

Evil Zergling137 wrote:My best advice, let the people who legit feel uncomfortable make these up then follow them.

ogrejager wrote: I'm also pretty sure these rules existed before the airsoft community "got old enough to have vets"

I don't recall you being around when this happened.
Evil Zergling137
Soldier
Soldier

Next

Return to Safety/Legality