airsoft rifle a firearm?!

Airsoft safety discussion. Post here with questions about laws and safety concerns.

airsoft rifle a firearm?!

Postby Reaver » Sat May 11, 2013 11:16 am

So according to my district manager he believes an Airsoft rifle/gun is a firearm. I have checked federal classification and they are not, but he almost fired me yesterday for possession of a firearm on company property. I had it in a duffle bag in the break area of my work and my store manager was aware of this. Any ideas who's right or wrong here?
When in doubt, empty the mag.
Reaver
Soldier
Soldier

Team: F.O.A.D

Re: airsoft rifle a firearm?!

Postby Mindspeed » Sat May 11, 2013 11:43 am

Why would you even bring an Airsoft pistol/rifle to work? At least keep it in the trunk of your car!

Now on to your question, considering Oregon has an at-will employment law. (http://www.oregon.gov/boli/ta/Pages/t_f ... twill.aspx) Your employer would have every right to fire you for whatever reason he wanted, unless the reason violates state or federal discrimination laws.

So moral of the story is....even if airsoft is not federally classified as a fire arm. It is our responsibility as responsible representatives of the sport/hobby to treat them as real fire arms. If we do then none of this crap would come up.
Mindspeed
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Postby code789 » Sat May 11, 2013 11:58 am

airsoft can be considered firearm replicas, so if you work place has a policy against bringing weapons to work then its probably not a good idea to bring one in the first place
Sic vis pacem, para bellum
long live the republic
code789
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Payback » Sat May 11, 2013 12:29 pm

If a school can suspend a kid for making a pencil a gun, then you can get fired for having an airsoft gun on company property. I have no idea why you would do it in the first place. Show and Tell can be held after hours.
AKA: rbm33

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty
Payback
Ranger
Ranger

Team: A.S.T.D.

Postby Reaver » Sat May 11, 2013 1:05 pm

Ok, reason behind bringing into work is that I needed to find a clevis pin to manufacture a sling mount for my tavor. I do not leave anything valuable in my car as it has been stolen once already from work, and as it is a brand new gun that would suck lol. Company policy says nothing about Airsoft or paintball markers.
Reaver
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Reaver » Sat May 11, 2013 1:47 pm

I guess my biggest issue over the entire situation is that I have been at this job for over 3 years, I am a member of management, and have done so before with no issues what so ever.
Reaver
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Nark » Sat May 11, 2013 2:36 pm

Reaver wrote:Ok, reason behind bringing into work is that I needed to find a clevis pin to manufacture a sling mount for my tavor. I do not leave anything valuable in my car as it has been stolen once already from work, and as it is a brand new gun that would suck lol. Company policy says nothing about Airsoft or paintball markers.

Unfortunately I think the company feels they don't need to classify airsoft and paintball in alongside firearms as they might be using it as an umbrella term. When I bring "airsoft pieces" into hardware stores to find stuff I'll break down the piece as much as I can.
Nark wrote:This is gonna sound dickish but whatever I'll be that guy...
Nark
Ranger
Ranger

Postby ogrejager » Sat May 11, 2013 3:23 pm

Well, sounds like it's been settled. Store manager said, "No problem." District manager said, "Not allowed." You weren't fired. Don't bring them in again.

Sure, the DM's reasoning is hokey, but he's the boss.

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Miker1st » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:41 pm

So on a side note that's still related, I've brought all my Airsoft rifles to work to show and tell after hours in the back parking lot. Of course, the plant where I work is in a fairly rural area and there are plenty of open fields out back to go target shooting. Even then, we're cautious to keep the guns low and do our best to avoid making people nervous. We just don't go waving them wildly around for everyone to see, that's just asking for trouble.
Miker1st
Grunt
Grunt

Postby dos_Santos » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:12 am

Common sense will carry the day.
I do hope that after all this discreditable shuffling we may be taken into action. It has a wonderful way of reconciling a man with himself: and with everybody else, sometimes. - 1st Lt. James Dillon
dos_Santos
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Shortbu » Mon May 12, 2014 9:20 am

Bringing it work is not a good idea, unless it's concealed and been cleared with the boss each time. Hell with the recent incidents,just seeing a gun bag or case can cause havoc. Just cover your bases. We've all heard the nightmare stories of retards brandishing their replica in public, and that's one of the things that gives airsoft a bad name.
Not saying what you did was wrong, since you had done it before, with the boss' ok. I would have just made sure I checked with them each time, rather than taking for granted it was ok. Who knows, maybe the boss would have given you the heads up about the DM coming in and said maybe not this time. Then problem avoided.
Joke em' if they can't take a shazaam!
Shortbu
Soldier
Soldier

Team: SpecDet1

Postby nKevinzz » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:03 am

Airsoft guns are replica firearms, or a special type of air guns used in airsoft, that fire spherical projectiles of many different materials, including (but not limited to) plastic, aluminum, and biodegradable material..
nKevinzz
Recruit
Recruit

Postby ClownBaby » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:35 am

YES....YOU ARE A GOOD COMPUTER....HAVE A COOKIE.... BEEP-BOOP....
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby Nark » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:45 pm

nKevinzz wrote:Airsoft guns are replica firearms, or a special type of air guns used in airsoft, that fire spherical projectiles of many different materials, including (but not limited to) plastic, aluminum, and biodegradable material..

but there's no fire.....
Nark wrote:This is gonna sound dickish but whatever I'll be that guy...
Nark
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Jerm_G » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:34 pm

Legally.. no.

"ORS 166.210
(3) Firearm means a weapon, by whatever name known, which is designed to expel a projectile by the action of powder."

However the DM is a representative of the owner of the property and a person who has the ability to fire you. what he says goes.

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer." -Major I.L. Holdridge USMC
Jerm_G
Soldier
Soldier

Team: AIRSOC

Next

Return to Safety/Legality