More stupid kidsofters who don't follow rules/regulations!

Airsoft safety discussion. Post here with questions about laws and safety concerns.

More stupid kidsofters who don't follow rules/regulations!

Postby mrgoldfishybo » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:00 pm

I was watching CNN this morning and this story came on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63LkTFYtm6E
the kids were on private property but the Airsoft guns were in plain sight near a school bus stop. Someone called 911 and the kids got suspended from school for the rest of the year. i want to know your guys' opinion. Did the school over react? in my humble opinion i think they should be punished to the full extent. thanks and if you know anyone whos getting into airsoft PLEASE tell them all of the info you know about rules/regulations and search for more information about the rules/regulations often!
mrgoldfishybo
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Re: More stupid kidsofters who don't follow rules/regulation

Postby Cyclops » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:44 pm

School should not be stepping in with a punishment!!!!!! Let the cops fine the parents if they keep doing something off of school property. Bus stop is not school property!!!! One small incident they start bringing up the fights and bullying at school. This is 2 different things brought up to explode into some non sense to kick him out of school. Next thing you know the teachers will have to do monthly checks on the houses of each kid to make sure they are feed healthy and have no combat video games. Also we are only talking about a $20 toy.
Cyclops
Ranger
Ranger

Team: F.O.A.D

Postby Canis » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:04 pm

This is tough. If its legal for the kids to have them and
theyre on private property playing safely/peacefully,
I dont understand the school having any say at all...

Im not saying the kids shouldnt be reprimanded (or at least educated),
but kicking kids out of school doesn't exactly help keep real steel out of their hands. :roll:
Canis
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Reeko » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:05 pm

Depends what the location looked like, and what the airsoft guns look like. And what the kids looked like.

If it was a bunch of kids using walmart springers in a kids backyard, that happens to be near a crosswalk and school. Than i think its a definite over reaction.

if the kids were using real airsoft guns with orange tips removed, and covered in tac gear. While playing in somebodies front yard next to a school. Than that is a different story.

And if the stray bb's could of hit kids crossing the street, that would also be something to know. The video was vague on the details. But from what i gather the kids are idiots if they were shooting eachother without eyepro
YOU SIR!!!!...... DO NOT HAVE ANY PANCAKE MIX!
Reeko
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cyclops » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:27 pm

They were using the cheap crossmen $20 airsoft guns and yes it did have an orange tip on the gun.
Cyclops
Ranger
Ranger

Team: F.O.A.D

Postby CommieHunter » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:21 am

I'm surprised (though maybe I shouldn't be) that all you guys have some sort of belief that laws should cover playing on private property.

I'm only 26, but there once was a time where people could do things without the whole world calling "That should be illegal!" Whether it's 'dangerous' or not, if it's not endangering other people, it shouldn't be a big deal at all. Squirt guns painted black or Green and Orange airsoft guns in the hands of children do NOT constitute a public menace.

Seriously, since when did the we decide that our culture would be made up of groomed lawns, people walking their dogs, and sex and violence on TV, but if boys want to be boys, they'd better be in a fenced yard or somewhere outside of town.

1- They didn't do anything illegal. They're on private property.

2- Orange tips aren't required by law, the guns were orange and green, but had they been black, they still wouldn't have broken the law.

3- Your insistence that the school should punish them, or the law should, simply breeds further degradation of personal responsibility. If the kid's mom tells him what he's doing is irresponsible, and says he should know better, he learns to think about what he's doing. If we constantly rely on administrative punishment or legal action to tell us what is right and what is wrong, eventually you'll have a generation that only knows right and wrong through getting caught.

Criminy buckets.
CommieHunter

Team: SOTA

Postby Jester316 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:26 am

CommieHunter wrote:I'm surprised (though maybe I shouldn't be) that all you guys have some sort of belief that laws should cover playing on private property.

I'm only 26, but there once was a time where people could do things without the whole world calling "That should be illegal!" Whether it's 'dangerous' or not, if it's not endangering other people, it shouldn't be a big deal at all. Squirt guns painted black or Green and Orange airsoft guns in the hands of children do NOT constitute a public menace.

Seriously, since when did the we decide that our culture would be made up of groomed lawns, people walking their dogs, and sex and violence on TV, but if boys want to be boys, they'd better be in a fenced yard or somewhere outside of town.

1- They didn't do anything illegal. They're on private property.

2- Orange tips aren't required by law, the guns were orange and green, but had they been black, they still wouldn't have broken the law.

3- Your insistence that the school should punish them, or the law should, simply breeds further degradation of personal responsibility. If the kid's mom tells him what he's doing is irresponsible, and says he should know better, he learns to think about what he's doing. If we constantly rely on administrative punishment or legal action to tell us what is right and what is wrong, eventually you'll have a generation that only knows right and wrong through getting caught.

Criminy buckets.

I was writing a response, but this says it better than I was writing it.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby MetraDirty » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:55 am

Sounds like kids being stupid. They don't do that normally...do they? That doesn't mean I condone it, but
there are better ways of reprimanding them than suspending them from an entire year of school.
Typical punishments like these can end up with the kid becoming even more of a delinquent.
Tan vs. Green airsoft game no. 9532.
MetraDirty
Specops
Specops

Postby Canis » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:58 am

Just to add a little to this,

I do agree with Commie Hunter, But i also understand that society HAS changed. Boys cant "just be boys" anymore.
These days teens (and preteens) DO have real guns, and if youre wise, you wont assume that a gun is a toy just because a kid has it...

If a kid says "i didnt cheat on my homework!" people don't believe him...
If a kid says "Im gonna kill you!", people (and the law) believe him.

In short, Parents DO need to educate their kids. Society HAS changed.
Just because something is legal, doesnt mean you can do it without consequence.
Be wise about how you may be perceived, and take precautions to ensure you can have your fun
without anyone having a cow (aged myself with that one. ha!).
Canis
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Captain Fox » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:32 pm

In my opinion:

It is not the school's place to punish the children, or publicly release information about student's disciplinary records, because it is confidential and there is NO such thing as a "waiver" that allows a school to release that information. At the very least, the school needs to be penalized for that violation of confidentiality.

However- these parents clearly do not police their students enough, and they OBVIOUSLY have not been taught about firearm and firearm replica safety and laws. These are things that I learned on the first grade, why do these two who appear to be late elementary to mid middle school age not know these things? Furthermore, why the hell are these parents letting kids play with airsoft guns without telling them they can't bring them to school or even near school property? It is a law that no one can bring any weapon or weapon replica near a public school, it's property, events, off-campus events or even it's bus stops unless they are an officer of the law.

I say the fault here lies with the children who should have known better, and with the parents who should have taught them better in the first place. The media however, as always, is clearly blowing this out of proportion again.
"Pablo" Jungle Express 2011
O.R.B "Fox"
"Shiny, lets be bad guys."
Captain Fox
Soldier
Soldier

Team: O.R.B.

Postby Catch22 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:01 pm

PIERS MORGAN!!! BLURGGHHH... shazaam that dude.

Better report on the story
http://www.wavy.com/news/local/va-beach/has-zero-tolerance-gone-too-far

None of the schools business what he does out side of school, or school functions.
Catch22

Postby McNair » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:08 pm

Canis wrote:...Boys cant "just be boys" anymore.
These days teens (and preteens) DO have real guns, ...

Teens and "preteens" have had guns for a long time, more so in the past when it was more acceptable.
McNair

Postby ogrejager » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:01 am

McNair wrote:

Teens and "preteens" have had guns for a long time, more so in the past when it was more acceptable.

I had a 9-year-old boy and a 12-year-old girl over at my house yesterday with their dad. The girl was sighting in her deer rifle--an AR with a Vortex optic--and then they both shot some clay pigeons with a youth-sized 20 gauge Mossberg.

Nobody was hurt. Nobody called the cops. The boy was a "just a boy"--excited to get to shoot. Just sayin'.

As to the school...well, duh, Commie...they overreacted. Big surprise.

But I might be biased--this is what I was doing two weeks ago:

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Postby Jmonday » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:53 am

It should be none of the schools concern. They where on private property, and where not on the bus. If it was on school grounds, or bus property, then the school should be involved. They are none-the-less going to be sued. A school can't tell their students what they can and can't do off school grounds.

If the police where notified, then it should be the police that fine/do punishments. The school is really stepping over their limits these days. Kinda sucks by the fact that the worlds changing. And getting more "retarded".

GG school district GG.

They are kids. Their parents made the choice to buy the air-soft guns. So the parents should be also fined. It should be that the parents and kids should be equally punished. Going on and yelling at each other isn't going to solve the problem, and by that I mean, you can't just play normally like a boy. There is always someone to say some stupid shit, and start more problems. :doubt:

By looking at the local laws, they where not breaking any rules. So a punishment is not totally necessary, but a sit-down would be proper.
Jmonday
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Canis » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:53 pm

McNair wrote:

Yes, Obviously teens and preteens that are supervised and educated have had guns for a long time.
Hunting and sport shooting are not exactly what i meant...

Dont you guys remember the recent (portland) story of an 11 and 13 year old packing a hand gun? They attempted to car jack a lady in a church parking lot... That is what i was implying. Sorry i wasn't clear. <.<

The good news is: most of us are just preaching to the choir here anyway. Seems most of us are on the same page.
Canis
Grunt
Grunt

Next

Return to Safety/Legality