What is maximum hitting power of bullet?

Airsoft safety discussion. Post here with questions about laws and safety concerns.

What is maximum hitting power of bullet?

Postby hardshell » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:10 am

I am want to know about the bullet hitting level so i can buy new body armor for me protection purposes, but before buy it want to know some specification or the penetration power of the any bullet or maximum bullet penetration power so i can buy top most body armor for bullet protection.
hardshell
Recruit
Recruit

Team: N/A

Re: What is maximum hitting power of bullet?

Postby Darius137 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:35 am

What the shit.

Go by NIJ level system.

Level 4 / IV will stop rifle rounds up to .308
Member of Rushing Russians KBДB (Cascadian VDV/Airborne) chapter.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/KEBAB.PARTY/
Darius137

Team: RR KBAB

Postby ClownBaby » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:38 am

Yeah, don't help this one, not airsoft related, more so their location. Probably don't wanna get involved, possible bad person who doesn't know how to use Wikipedia, LOL.
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby Steve » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:22 pm

My money is on this being a bot account.

But, for a "great" answer, it's pretty easy. It's roughly equal to the initial energy at the muzzle minus the velocity lost to friction of air resistance, with the lost energy partially converted to heat. If you consider the specific heat of the various components in the amalgam that is the bullet, and treat the jacket and the core as collocated solids, the friction heat will reduce the maximum yield strength of the materials until flow conditions are met, at which point the cross-sectional area will generally tend to increase. This is due to the considerably lower liquidus transition temperature of lead compared to copper alloys. Solids can withstand considerable shear stress before significant deformation occurs. Fluids are defined by their inability to withstand shearing forces. When you try to shove a fluid, it tends to flow away from the force. When it cannot, it applies pressure in all directions. This pressure if force over area, and when combined with the increased heat, can cause the petals of the hollow point to begin to blossom away from the lead core. This increase in diameter causes additional air resistance.

In practice, the ranges are so short and velocities fairly low enough that the projectiles generally strike their target or the ground before this significantly impacts the flight of the round or really opens up the cup.

However, if you can get the projectile to move really really fast with enough air resistance, you can actually force your projectile to fully convert to plasma. Which pretty much kills your range, but the math is impressive. Plus, plasma sets stuff on fire and / or burns through it. And if you have enough energy behind it, you can get a wave of air converted to plasma that is propagating conically out forward-away from your projectile sort of like how the Compton Effect causes directed energy weapons to be really really inefficient in an atmosphere.

Have fun running that generally correct yet entirely useless response through google translate.

Edit: find something that will soak 54 kilojoules of force instantaneously applied to a 2 in^2 area with less than 25mm of back face deformation and you are unlikely to run into anything that will defeat your armor. Unless you do something remarkably stupid, like piss off folks who own MBTs.
This Week In Airsoft wrote:This Week in Airsoft stands behind its statement... The internet and YouTube can be your teacher.

Steve

Postby Jester316 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:56 pm

Layer kitchen tiles in a woven pattern vertically.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby MySwan » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:07 pm

Jester316 wrote:Layer kitchen tiles in a woven pattern vertically.

Ceramic plates are terrible.
MySwan
Grunt
Grunt

Team: Sledge

Postby Steve » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:42 pm

MySwan wrote:
Jester316 wrote:Layer kitchen tiles in a woven pattern vertically.

Ceramic plates are terrible.

Yup. Cool guys(tm) rock linoleum.
This Week In Airsoft wrote:This Week in Airsoft stands behind its statement... The internet and YouTube can be your teacher.

Steve

Postby ClownBaby » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:43 pm

I personally use a paperback copy of American Psycho.

Works amazingly well. :|
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Steve » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:48 pm

And today's terrible pun: If you get lit up in the joules, you end up with a couple of acres.

Steve

Postby ClownBaby » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:47 pm

:lol: Oh, I like that one!

Buddha walks up to a hotdog stand, says "make me one with everything"
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Return to Safety/Legality