V7 Gearbox Troubles

Discuss battery powered AEGs (Automatic Electric Guns) in this forum.

V7 Gearbox Troubles

Postby Freespace535 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:03 pm

Alrighty. I have an AGM Socom 16, for which I got the following upgrades: SHS High Torque Motor, JBU M14 Cylinder, G&P Steel Spring Guide, Modify S110 (360 ish spring), and an Intellect 9.6v 1600 mah battery.

First issue: The battery was dead on arrival, and I contact Ehobby about it, but I'm still waiting for their reply. The only reason I bring this up is that it meant that I had to use an 8.4v stock Dboys battery.

Second issue: the JBU cylinder was too long by a few millimeters, so I ground it down on the back end (nearest the spring guide). It fits and I don't see any problems because the compression is still near perfect, just letting you all know. It fits perfectly in the gearbox slots.

Third issue: The side notches on my spring guide wouldn't fit into the slots on the gearbox, so while trying to flatten them out they came off altogether. The spring guide still fits fine in the gearbox. I don't worry about it rotating, because the base of the spring guide already rotates to begin with. (look at the little side 'spikes' in this picture http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/media/catalo ... 7_mark.jpg )

Okay, so after I cleaned out all the china grease, I reshimmed the gearbox as best I could with the shims it came with (only six I think). When I have nothing but the gears inside the gearbox and close the shell (both sides), the gears spin freely when I spin them. They don't go for a whole long time, but they get at least a rotation every time I push them. So they really shouldn't be that tight.

First attempt:Then I put in the cylinder, spring, spring guide, tappet plate, etc. When I hook up the motor along with everything else, I pulled the trigger and nothing happened. The tabs on the motor started getting pretty hot and so did the tamiya connectors.

So I unplugged it and took out the motor. At this point the motor was separate, but everything else was assembled. I taped it down, pulled the trigger and the motor spun at full speed. So the wiring was not the issue here.

Second attempt: I took the whole thing apart again, gave the gears a bit more grease and some silicone oil. I also adjusted the shims, and they seemed to spin even better. I put everything back together, except I admit I forgot to put on two tiny springs that pull the trigger apart from the contacts (so the trigger contacts were together the whole time). When I plugged in the battery, the gun was probably trying to shoot full auto but the motor couldn't move.

I removed the motor again, taped it down and tried it again. Now the motor won't do anything, but I think that it might be the battery, since I potentially fried it.

What is causing the lock up? Did I fry the battery, the motor, or both?

Please offer any insight.
This is my signature. Hear it roar.
Freespace535
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Postby phiz » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:10 pm

sounds like the polarity on the motor is reversed.
phiz
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Jester316 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:14 pm

Is the anti-reversal latch properly installed? Are you hooking the motor up backwards? Is your wiring backwards? Most motors have a red dot where the red wire will go. Check that first.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Freespace535 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:43 pm

Yeah, the AR latch is good. Strangely it wasn't as hard as V2 gearboxes, but then again it isn't working so I can't prove anything yet haha.

I'll try the motor again, but if the polarity was reversed, would it not have spun at all when I took it out of the gearbox? Because it did spin outside of the gears.

But if it is reversed, it was trying to spin backwards in the gearbox, right?

The motor I got didn't have the red dot though, but it did mark which side was positive.

I read a while ago that AGM guns had reversed wiring polarity, but I always thought that meant the battery wiring. I'll give that a shot.

Thanks
Freespace535
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Freespace535 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:40 pm

Alrighty, so here's a little update. I tried reversing the wiring multiple times with the new motor outside the gearbox, trying to see which way it was spinning. It was too fast to tell for sure.

I put the old motor back in the gearbox, gave it a whirl and everything is A-Okay. It gets decent RoF and trigger response, considering its an 8.4 with a stock motor.

All in all, worst case scenario is that I have a working gun. Best case scenario, I have a working gun with a better motor.

So, any idea what is up with the new motor? It spins fine outside the gun, but no matter which way I have the wiring, it won't fire inside the gun.

Does reversing the wiring actually reverse the spin anyway?
Freespace535
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Minerva » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:01 pm

Yes it would just spin backwards. Just did the same dang thing installing an Element HTU.

As for the spring guide, are you sure you ordered a V7 spring guide? At least on the M14 I worked on if I remember correctly it used the V7 not a standard V2. That could be your problem there.

As for the wiring and tamiya getting hot, I'd suggest rewiring and installing some deans (the real deans)
"Minerva's hot dog is the biggest"-Minerva
Minerva
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Freespace535 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:24 pm

Its a V7, unless Ehobby got it completely wrong on their website and the packaging. I think the incompatibility was just because it was a G&P in an AGM shell.

Okay, so I think all I need to keep trying is reversing the wiring. Is there any way to adjust motor height in an M14?

And yeah deans is definitely in my future, since I might be needing to get a new battery anyway.
Freespace535
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Minerva » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:29 pm

There should be a screw on the motor cage to adjust the motor height
Minerva
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Freespace535 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:38 pm

Hmm there ain't one lol. There is a small metal plate on the back of the motor, but thats it. And I know I didn't just lose it, because I have every piece that I've messed with.
Freespace535
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Minerva » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:44 pm

On the bottom of the motor cage there is a grub screw that operates a cam that puts the tension on a shim

Minerva
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Freespace535 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:51 pm

Looks like AGM cut corners, I don't have any piece like that. Also, wouldn't the bottom of the motor cage have to be threaded then? Mine isn't...
Freespace535
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Minerva » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:57 pm

Looking into it on google brings up that you may not be the only one with this problem. I would suggest investing in a new motor cage perhaps? I'm not the most familiar with V7's. Perhaps someone else here can post a remedy to the problem
Minerva
Ranger
Ranger

Postby phiz » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:59 pm

when the motor is backwards it tries to run in reverse. The AR latch does it job and stalls the motor, so it gets hot.

reverse the wires on the new motor and give it a try.
phiz
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Freespace535 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:43 pm

**Edit: Okay, here's what happened just now:

Old motor was in the gun. Full functionality.

Removed old motor from the gun, tested outside the gearbox. Full functionality.

Attached new motor, outside the gearbox. Full functionality.

Put new motor inside the gearbox. Nothing happens. Reverse polarity of the wiring. Nothing happens.

Put back in the old motor. Full functionality. Reverse polarity, nothing happens.

Can this be chalked up to some sort of incompatibility? The gears on the motors pinion gear look a little 'sharper' than the stock motor (the lower outside edges have a point to them, whereas my stock motor seems to be worn down or intentionally flattened.
Freespace535
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Jester316 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:00 am

AGM M14's have no way to adjust the motor height.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Next

Return to AEG/Electrics