V7 Gearbox Troubles

Discuss battery powered AEGs (Automatic Electric Guns) in this forum.

Postby Blizzard » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:03 am

Freespace535 wrote:Old motor was in the gun. Full functionality.

Put back in the old motor. Full functionality. Reverse polarity, nothing happens.

Are you saying that the gearbox cycles while it is not inside the gun but has the old motor attached, or is it just the motor itself that is functioning?
For every action (Bang) there is an equal and opposite reaction (HIT!)
Previously AsianMarksman
Blizzard
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Postby Freespace535 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:36 am

Blizzard wrote:
Freespace535 wrote:Old motor was in the gun. Full functionality.

Put back in the old motor. Full functionality. Reverse polarity, nothing happens.

Are you saying that the gearbox cycles while it is not inside the gun but has the old motor attached, or is it just the motor itself that is functioning?

When I have the old motor in or out of the gearbox, it functions (cycles the gearbox when inside, spins when outside). If I reverse the polarity while inside the gearbox, it does what the new motor does - nothing.

With the new motor, it functions outside of the gearbox (spins), but not inside the gearbox (it doesn't cycle the gun, no matter which way I have the wiring).

Today I'm going to try switching the pinion gears on the motors to see if that will make the new motor work in the gun.
This is my signature. Hear it roar.
Freespace535
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Blizzard » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:20 am

Ah, got it. Try shim the bevel gear away from the pinion gear a little bit. That should compensate for the lack of wear on the pinion gear, which I think could be the problem.
For every action (Bang) there is an equal and opposite reaction (HIT!)
Previously AsianMarksman
Blizzard
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Minerva » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:39 pm

Jester I actually took that picture from a search of an AGM.. Seems to me from what I found that some models do not have a way to adjust height :/
"Minerva's hot dog is the biggest"-Minerva
Minerva
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Freespace535 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:01 am

Okay so I took a really close look at the motor heights when they were inside the motor cage. The new motor ended up being about 1mm higher (farther into the gearbox), causing the trouble. Since there was no way to adjust it, I ground down the bottom of the motor cage, and now it cycles the gearbox.

I still have some tinkering to do - it is kind of noisy and definitely more whiny. If I brought it down a little further, would the sound improve?

But I'm loving it already, the RoF is great even with the 8.4. Trigger response is good but firing in semi is annoying with the sounds it makes now.

Thanks for all the input y'all. I posted this over on ASF and got 1 reply...
This is my signature. Hear it roar.
Freespace535
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Minerva » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:57 pm

Try to shim the gearbox relative to the pinion gear instead of the spur. That'd help a lot with the sound
"Minerva's hot dog is the biggest"-Minerva
Minerva
Ranger
Ranger

Re: V7 Gearbox Troubles

Postby Dankmemesaregreat » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:38 pm

I had a smililar problem with my V7. But it turns out since it's really hard to tell how the motor pinion sits against the first gear I had no idea what the problem is. But once I did some tinkering and I found out that I shimmed the first gear too high and it was causing the motor pinion to not move because there was so much stress between the first gear and and pinion. So I re-shimmed it, lowered the first gear and it works like a charm.
Dankmemesaregreat
Recruit
Recruit

Previous

Return to AEG/Electrics