good starter AEG

Discuss battery powered AEGs (Automatic Electric Guns) in this forum.

good starter AEG

Postby dakodajlewis » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:30 pm

I've been looking for a good starter AEG since I'm new to the game of airsoft and I was wondering if I could get some suggestions, hopefully from some experience players whose opinions I can trust. Please help me thank you.
dakodajlewis
Recruit
Recruit

Team: N/A

Re: good starter AEG

Postby Hawkeye [F.O.A.D.] » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:59 am

G&G cm16 Raider. less than $200 and a great starter gun, easy to upgrade.
Hawkeye [F.O.A.D.]
Soldier
Soldier

Team: F.O.A.D

Postby Nark » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:35 am

Did you browse the forums before posting?

Jewish Ninja wrote:...As for which one, go with which one tickles your pickle in the right way. Remember you don't need a 10" barrel for CQC. Lots of people can rock a 14.5 just fine. But +7 million to giving a gun a good hand job before you decide.
Nark wrote:This is gonna sound dickish but whatever I'll be that guy...
Nark
Ranger
Ranger

Postby dakodajlewis » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:39 pm

[quote="Nark"]Did you browse the forums before posting?

Yes I did I couldn't find anything that really answered my question straight forward did you have any suggestions too my question
dakodajlewis
Recruit
Recruit

Postby ClownBaby » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:06 pm

G&G is a good starter gun.

Here's the basic rule of thumb for a noob. Spend at least $150-$250, and you'll get a gun that won't break right away.

And from what I've seen, most descent guns typically break/screw up, when people start messing with the internals themselves.
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby Shortbu » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:29 am

1) be prepared for some of the old timers to pick on ya a bit. This topic has been beat to death over the years, and the natives get grumpy when they hear the same Q's a lot, lol
2) the popular choice for a good starter gun seems to be the G&G raider. Are you playing indoor,or out? Do you prefer shorter CQC type replicas (usually sacrificing some range and accuracy for light weight and compact), or do you prefer longer, typically a little heavier replicas?
3) what's your price range? If you're on a budget that determines that you buy an entree level replica, and slowly upgrade as funds increase, you need to pick one that has a solid base platform and easily accepts upgrades. If you can afford a higher quality replica, research reviews, Google forums about the one you're thinking about getting, and make your own decision.
4) after doing answering these Q's for yourself, come up with the type of gun, and brand you're considering, then come back and post this question, and then I would bet you'll get more informative, useful, less bitchy answers, lol
5) pick the type YOU want, not what your buddy thinks is cool. It's YOURS, and don't let people tell you what you like isn't cool. Just be sure you pick a platform that's easy to get parts for, and easy to upgrade.
6) expensive doesn't always mean better. I have a saw that was $500 and the gear box stripped before a single bb came out. But I also have an AGM M-4, that I got for $99 in a mystery box, and it shoots darn near as well as my $400 King Arms M&P MOE.
Good luck in the hunt!!!
Joke em' if they can't take a shazaam!
Shortbu
Soldier
Soldier

Team: SpecDet1

Postby T-Time » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:44 am

I really like my Echo1 AK-47. Its very reliable.
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
George S. Patton
T-Time
Grunt
Grunt

Team: Airsoft

Postby Jewish Ninja » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:26 pm

Shortbu hit the nail on the head.

The only thing I would add is DO NOT BUY USED for your first gun. Used guns are great after you get a feel for the sport. However, a used gun for a starting player is a bad combo. The price can be tempting, but you don't know what you're getting into.

I'm not at all knocking buying used guns, in fact the last few guns I've bought have been used and have had no issues. My issue is that a used gun will not be as good of a metric to measure your enjoyment in this hobby when you're starting to play.
Threepeat! AP Gearwhore of the Year.
WWGFD?
Adjective noun is adjective.
Jewish Ninja

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Nark » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:12 pm

dakodajlewis wrote:
Nark wrote:Did you browse the forums before posting?

Yes I did I couldn't find anything that really answered my question straight forward did you have any suggestions too my question

My first gun was a JG G36C. Good gun but not necessarily a good first gun. Mags are very unwieldy compared to M4. After that I bought a CA Sportline M4 which I traded for a G36. I had a thing for them. I bought another M4, the SOCOMGear Noveske M4. I've used this one for almost everything and dropped in an upgraded spring, barrel and hop up as well as swapping the RIS and stock out and adding a ACOG/RMR makes it look pretty sick. I wish I had saved up for a decent gun that I could upgrade exclusively but I realize getting less expensive guns is smart cause you don't know if you'll keep up with airsoft. The first G36 was ~$130 and my current M4 was ~$450.

This thread that has the gun I'm modeling mine after as well as some pics.
Nark wrote:This is gonna sound dickish but whatever I'll be that guy...
Nark
Ranger
Ranger

Return to AEG/Electrics