Outer Barrel Help

Discuss battery powered AEGs (Automatic Electric Guns) in this forum.

Outer Barrel Help

Postby Ripjaw » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:28 am

So I've just recently upgraded to a new AEG, the only problem is there's an ugly BIRDCAGE on it!!!

Any way to take it off without damaging the threads? I did it with my other M4 and it stripped it right off even when I took out the pin. But here's the problem, it's not in the forum of a hex key, it's got like a pin or something in place of the hex. I've looked on here for threads and on different websites, over 20 pages on Google!! And nothing that shows how to remove the actual pin from the gun, they're all hex screws!!

I've tried doing the boiling, heating and ripping but I don't want to strip this new one. Everything, none of it works.

It doesn't look like the outer pin is epoxied in, but I can see some faint traces of epoxy inside the barrel.
If all else fails I'll just buy a new outer barrel, but I have no clue on how I would take it off, I was thinking about going to either Airsoft Outlet NW or Thunderkiss for help, but I'm not sure they'd help me take it off, if anyone has had experience with this let me know.

It's a g&g gr15 electric blowback cqb M4 if anyone was wondering.
Ripjaw
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Re: Outer Barrel Help

Postby Jester316 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:32 am

Drill it out. Or use a dremel tool to cut through the flash hider (BUT NOT THE THREADS) and than just pry it apart.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Ripjaw » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:42 am

Jester316 wrote:Drill it out. Or use a dremel tool to cut through the flash hider (BUT NOT THE THREADS) and than just pry it apart.

Would you recommend a good Dremel tool that would work for this? I never heard of a Dremel before.
Ripjaw
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Jester316 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:33 am

You've never heard of Dremel Tools before?????/

I weep for the future...

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-4000-2-30- ... remel+Tool

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Postby Ripjaw » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:52 am

Jester316 wrote:You've never heard of Dremel Tools before?????/

I weep for the future...

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-4000-2-30- ... remel+Tool

Thanks found a good one on homedepot, I'll see if that works.
Ripjaw
Grunt
Grunt

Postby ogrejager » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:52 pm

Ripjaw wrote:Would you recommend a good Dremel tool that would work for this? I never heard of a Dremel before.

*facepalm*

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Postby Ripjaw » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:34 pm

Mods, you can do whatever you do to closed threads for this one, I solved it with lots of help from a great dude at Thunderkiss NW!! :)
Ripjaw
Grunt
Grunt

Postby ClownBaby » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:37 pm

I had to do it once without power tools.
I just used the file on my leatherman to open up the area around the pin, then pulled the pin out with needlenose pliers, then simply put a flat head screwdriver in the birdcage and twisted it till it broke the glue.

It was a orange plastic one, and it bent and was garbage after. But whatever, it's a 20¢ part.

Make sure you know which way your threads are going, (if you don't know, look it up on Evike, lol) because some guns are different.

And IDK if you would want to try my way if your flash hider is metal, and not plastic. (Meaning if you don't wanna take a chance of bending it)

Before anybody goes "well that's dumb, shoulda put in boiling water" - I was in the field, so that wasn't an option.
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby Ripjaw » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:46 pm

ClownBaby wrote:I had to do it once without power tools.
I just used the file on my leatherman to open up the area around the pin, then pulled the pin out with needlenose pliers, then simply put a flat head screwdriver in the birdcage and twisted it till it broke the glue.

It was a orange plastic one, and it bent and was garbage after. But whatever, it's a 20¢ part.

Make sure you know which way your threads are going, (if you don't know, look it up on Evike, lol) because some guns are different.

And IDK if you would want to try my way if your flash hider is metal, and not plastic. (Meaning if you don't wanna take a chance of bending it)

Before anybody goes "well that's dumb, shoulda put in boiling water" - I was in the field, so that wasn't an option.

I thought about doing that, but I don't want to pay the $100 for the Dremel itself. I just brought it in and got some amazing service from Thunderkiss.
Ripjaw
Grunt
Grunt

Postby ClownBaby » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:58 pm

Dremel tools are super fun though! Being that it's your first one, you could probably get away with getting a cheap one, and nobody here would laugh at you. Go check out Harbor Freight.
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Jewish Ninja » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:00 pm

Yea, the cheapo, $20 dealie from Harbor isn't bad. Worked well for my tiny projects.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, WEAR EYE PRO WORKING WITH THE CHEAPIE ONE OR A DREMEL. 6000 RPM IS A GREAT WAY TO LOSE AN EYE AND LOOK DUMB FOR LIFE.
Threepeat! AP Gearwhore of the Year.
WWGFD?
Adjective noun is adjective.
Jewish Ninja

Postby Ripjaw » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:32 pm

ClownBaby wrote:Dremel tools are super fun though! Being that it's your first one, you could probably get away with getting a cheap one, and nobody here would laugh at you. Go check out Harbor Freight.

It's kinda hard to work on fixing stuff around the house when your dad has OCD and has to fix EVERYTHING by himself. :p But I think I'll just buy it just to say "hey! I've got a Dremel where's yours at?" At least I could try to be a cool cat, maybe he'll get jealous of me and try to use it. :badgrin:
Ripjaw
Grunt
Grunt

Postby ClownBaby » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:47 am

Or you could wait till Christmas and get one for each of you.

Then have a father-son craft off!
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Ripjaw » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:19 am

ClownBaby wrote:Or you could wait till Christmas and get one for each of you.

Then have a father-son craft off!

Man can you be my go to person for Christmas gift ideas? :lol:
Ripjaw
Grunt
Grunt

Return to AEG/Electrics