Want to be a sniper? Need help picking a gun?

Discussion about sniper rifles or bolt-action.

Want to be a sniper? Need help picking a gun?

Postby Mau » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:28 pm

To discover what gun that will be a perfect fit for your needs, you must discover what type of player you are. This guide will help you do just that:

Step One: Determining what you consider fun. This is simple. All that you have to do is choose what position appeals to you most.

Category 1
    Do you want to be the first to enter the fight? Do you like to spray your ammo towards the target? Do you like rounding a corner and bringing your sights up quick to take out your slower enemy first? Do you like going for the most kills? Do you want to get up close and personal with your opponent? If so, you fit into category one.

Category 2
    Are you a reasonably patient player? Do you take the point of view that carefully aimed sustained fire is the best way to eliminate the enemy? Are you a good shot? Are you able to remain aware of your own teammates positions and changing battle conditions? Do you like to support and work off some of your more brash teammates in their daring maneuvers behind enemy lines? If this describes you, you belong in category two.

Category 3
    Are you an excellent marksman? Do you lack a fear of insects (arachnophobia, etc.), animals (snakes, etc.), and plant allergies? Can you lay stay still for hours in the mud and cold, waiting for the enemy to come to you? Can you move stealthily and remain undetected, even in close proximity to enemy players? Can you “disappear’ into the surrounding foliage? Do you mind if you’re not in the center of the action? Would you let numerous free kills walk right by the muzzle of your gun, to achieve an objective? If these traits belong to you, you are in category three.

Picked one? Scroll down...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step Two: Take your chosen category and read what the suggestion what you would enjoy most in airsoft.

Category 1: rusher/runner/CQB/close fire support
    You like to be where the action is, and therefore, should NOT get a sniper rifle. Rifles are large and clumsy, and very hard to maneuver in buildings and around corners, so sharpshooting is not for you.
    TM AEGs suited to your category:
    G36C, all MP5 variants, SIG 552 SEALS, AK47B Spetsnaz, P90, P90TR, G3SAS

Category 2: assault team/medium range attack/CQB support and cover fire
    You like to think through your shots a little more than the category 1 players, and you prefer to take your time and check the situation before making any moves. A sniper rifle would not suit you well because you require fully automatic firing to keep your adversaries’ heads down. (Note: This position is commonly mistaken for the job of a sniper on many an occasion.)
    Echo1/TM/CA AEGs suited to your category:
    G36C, all MP5 variants except MP5K and MP5PDW, SIG 551, all M16/M4 variants except M16A2, Steyr AUG, AK47, AK47S, MC51

Category 3: long range fire support/scout/sniper
    You constantly think tactics, eliminating the greatest threat to your team instead of the easiest open shot you can take. The guns that you use are big, heavy, long, and accurate, with high power and a low ROF.
    Echo1/TM/CA AEGs suited to your category:
    G3-SG1, G3A3, G3A4, PSG1, SIG 550, M16A2

Bolt Action Rifles suited to your category:
    CA-M24, Maruzen APS-2/L-96, TM VSR-10/G-Spec, SP M40a1, Tanaka M700

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's the end of the guide - If you want to be a sniper, I would suggest reading what follows this:

Other Notes:
You may have noticed I have placed Bolt Action Rifles and some high end AEG's in the sniper category. This is because you can be just as an effective sniper with an AEG in your hands.

About 450 FPS chinese clones:
With all these low cost 450 fps sniper rifles coming out, it is tempting for a lot of us to purchase one and give sniping a try. Some are 'ok' but all of them need substantial work, upgrades to make them accurate rifles. On the field a standard AEG is more effective for the average player, than one of these chinese sniper rifles. Most people believe these rifles will outrange enemies.

This typically does NOT happen in airsoft. An upgraded AEG has 400 fps a good hopup and automatic fire. With a 450 fps chinese clone rifle you only have 50 fps difference to the AEG's with your single shots, a low quality hopup, a poor quality barrel, and bad accuracy outside 100 feet. (marksmanship is everything for a sniper, the first shot will get your general position located, leaving you with no automatic fire to fall back on)

Same effective range as AEG's
You effectively will have the same range as an upgraded AEG because while they may lack a bit of accuracy they make up with shear volume of fire. That AEG user simply needs to angle his rifle a few degrees higher and "rain" 100 rounds on you - 1 of them will likely hit. While you are avoiding getting "rained on" the AEG or his buddy will move in on your position inside of your Minimum Engagement Distance - which is an important Safety Rule. At this point you are dead, or at a severe disadvantage.

My thoughts on airsoft sniping
While the above is a big negativism to airsoft sniping, it can still be done. It becomes more of an art, and requires patience, and lots of work on fieldcraft. I started off in airsoft as an assault team player with a TM M16-A2 upgraded to close to 400 fps, I also have an Echo1 M4. Then, because I was willing to waste the money, and learn what sniping was about I purchased a chinese knockoff mp001(un-upgradable with most aftermarket parts).

It served it's purpose, it forced me to learn fieldcraft very quickly for the reason you see above. I then hand made a full ghillie, and focused on camouflaging my setup. After a couple months of playing with the mp001, I purchased a VSR-10 and did the full upgrade route. I am still working on it, and I've put down over 300$ on upgrades and is not any more effective on the field for me than my upgraded AEG in my hands. That is my honest truth to you. Thats around 500$ on sniper rifles and parts. To get just a little more performance than an upgraded AEG.

I was not the original author of this guide, to give credit where it is due, this guide was paraphrased and formatted from: Here
Last edited by Mau on Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
“An excellent sniper is just as effective with a pair of binoculars and no guns as he is with his rifle.â€
Mau
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Re: Want to be a sniper? Need help picking a gun?

Postby Meepo » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:33 pm

Very useful information, for n00bs like myself. :)
Last edited by Meepo on Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meepo
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Mobius » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:37 am

nominated for a sticky
The Silver Dragon is to the 1911 as the GSX-R1000 is to the Grand Vitara. They'll both get you down the road, but one helps you compensate for your shortcomings. "sleepy"
Mobius

Postby Knuckles » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:37 am

Seconded.
Please buy your gear from Rick Fisher; perhaps he can buy a Life.
Knuckles

Postby Bush Killer » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:55 pm

I would say "Third-ed" but it's probably the most annoying thing to hear, ever. So I won't.

I move that the nominations cease.
Proud member of the 973rd COB

"The Artist Formerly Known as Cain"
Bush Killer
Specops
Specops

Postby PanzerFaust » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:58 pm

stickied.
PanzerFaust

Postby Quick Draw » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:31 pm

Good bit of information, thanks for taking the time to write it up.
Quick Draw
Grunt
Grunt

Postby xps5000 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:51 pm

Well written and to the point. Nice find.
Last edited by xps5000 on Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
xps5000
Soldier
Soldier

Postby PanzerFaust » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:56 pm

Mau wrote:I was not the original author of this guide, to give credit where it is due, this guide was paraphrased and formatted from: Here
PanzerFaust

Postby shadowolf118 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:41 pm

Nice that was a awsome sticky.
shadowolf118
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Quick Draw » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:23 pm

Mau wrote:I was not the original author of this guide, to give credit where it is due, this guide was paraphrased and formatted from: Here

Whoops must have glanced over that, sorry. Anyways, still a good guide, thanks for posting it.
Quick Draw
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Captain G.H.O.S.T » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:39 am

nice guide mau
No. 5 RAC

Captain G.H.O.S.T
Specops
Specops

Team: RAC 5

Postby sharpie201 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:26 pm

I Wish I would have seen this before i posted my lame question!
sharpie201
Recruit
Recruit

Postby SGT Flan » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:18 pm

What about super 9 airsoft rifles if you had to buy somthing under 150 dollars
SGT Flan
Recruit
Recruit

Postby wake.joe » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:28 pm

SGT Flan wrote:What about super 9 airsoft rifles if you had to buy somthing under 150 dollars

We told you in the chat, when you were asking how to post a thread, to read the stickies.
wake.joe
Ranger
Ranger

Next

Return to Bolt-Action & Snipers