Cheap Sniper Rifles and the Noob 2.0 & 2.5 ( page 3)

Discussion about sniper rifles or bolt-action.

Cheap Sniper Rifles and the Noob 2.0 & 2.5 ( page 3)

Postby KA-BAR » Tue May 04, 2010 9:42 am

hey all KA-BAR here.

gunny put out a thread along time ago that really sums up how alot of people feel about low end platforms.

Gunny wrote:If you decide that you are somehow different or smarter than the 95% margin of the community who agrees with me on this...

now i do not consider myself stupid, but i did take offence to this statment, and made it my personal journey to make Gunny eat these words. not out of malice, spite or hate, but to work my way into the elite community of airsoft snipers. i am part of the 5% that says...

yes, if you build it, they will call thier hits.

now i am not going to say that every low end platform out there is the bomb diggity, but what i will say is there are a few options out there for the budget minded that with a little love and tools can be made into a tackdriver.

example

NOOB RIFLE 1.0

base was a TSD SD700 for $70( they have gone up in price since the posting of my initial review on another site, and they became extreamly popular). i bought a ebaybanned M3 replica that costs as much as the gun did. so total i invested 140 bucks. i shot the rifle stock for atleast 9 months before the first upgrade.

the item i upgraded first is the most important upgrade that any rifle can get. a tightbore barrel. i had one custom made for me by Bill Youngblood himself. next i bought a Laylax neo piston and a element oil tempered spring. once all of the upgrades were installed it was shooting a solid 500 fps.

all together after all upgrades were purchased and intalled i was right at about $270 dollars. now if i am correct, that is still cheaper then many of the base platforms in Gunny's suggested list. many of those models are sub par shooters in stock form and require more parts and labour, with pushes them way out of the price mark.

now when we talk about quality, could i take my TSD and baseball bat a tree with it without it breaking, probably not, but you wont get much more sturdieness from a CA or a Tanaka....what one or two more swings at the tree before it breaks?

the only issue that was left untouched on my rifle was the trigger mech and sears. even with the stock sear set my gun lasted well over two years. my theory is to shoot the shit out of the platform and work it till something breaks, then upgrade the part.

there are only two or three companies i would trust.

JG
TSD
Echo 1

i am also going to add...

Well/Galaxy/matrix

i have also purchased a well MB02 G-spec clone. i used this as the base for my "scout rifle" as seen here in this thread.

http://www.airsoftpacific.com/viewtopic.php?t=32664

Well's internals are on par with JG- BAR ten with something a lil more too.

the Well piston is a Cup tipped piston, so it does not rely on a O-ring for compression. this means a lighter more manageable bolt pull, and much better compression and FPS consistancy. id like to see other companyies make higher end versions of this type of piston.

also

A&K's SVD dragonov spring rifle is very unique. it uses a AEG sized piston and spring. it looks to be a hitter for those looking for the OPFOR sniper platform. i am thinking of getting one and adding more thoughts about it here, stay tuned.

and a low maybe on some of the UTG products ( utg is notorius for having crappy a$$ cylinders that are un-upgradeabe, and stamp sealed shut, atleast that is what the gen2-3 were, they are on gen 5 now, so maybe they pulled thier heads out of thier asses.)

JG has the BAR ten series.

TSD has the SD line

Echo 1 has a few offerings in
the socom series and their new AR type platform.

some of these platforms are based on maruzen or VSR technology. you will have to do your homework to make sure you are purchaseing the correct upgrades. some spring guides and magazines are not interchangeable.

i hope this helps some of the newer players understand that it is not all about money, it is about time and effort. research, trial and error.

i hope i am able to shed some light on this topic, help the newer players out a little bit, piss Gunny off a little bit, and help you along so you are able to get the best out of your dollar.

also maybe my inbox wont have so many ..." where is that thread you wrote...." messages in my inbox.

BB Wieghts

if you are shooting sub 500 FPS use .25/.28's
if you are shooting 500-550 FPS use .30 ( my preference) or .40/.43's

KA-BAR out.
Last edited by KA-BAR on Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:54 am, edited 5 times in total.
KA-BAR

Team: N/A

Postby Cap n pickles » Tue May 04, 2010 11:20 am

Hehe, stick it to the man KA BAR.
"All our liberties are due to men who, when their conscience has compelled them, have broken the laws of the land."
William Kingdon Clifford
Cap n pickles

Postby Abe » Tue May 04, 2010 6:03 pm

Very interesting, this totaly goes against what everyone has told me. :shock:
Im down, but i'm not out.
Abe
Ranger
Ranger

Postby k3gn3123512 » Tue May 04, 2010 6:06 pm

Now how exactly is the upgradability of the UTG MK96?
I could possibly wait and invest into a ARES but the fact that I'll be gutting it anyways makes me feel a bit as if I am wasting my cash.
k3gn3123512
Ranger
Ranger

Postby CommieHunter » Tue May 04, 2010 6:18 pm

The ARES isn't worth that much more than the UTG, in my opinion.

The MK96 from UTG has a cylinder that you can open, it's fully compatible with the Maruzen parts.

Airsoft Outlet has the 6.03 MadBull barrels for the L96, as well as a metal cylinder/spring guide/spring upgrade kit, which will put you at about 530-550 when combined. Get a good bucking and install everything right and you'll be golden.
CommieHunter

Team: SOTA

Re: Cheap Sniper Rifles and the Noob 2.0

Postby Eyes On » Tue May 04, 2010 6:45 pm

KA-BAR wrote:now i do not consider myself stupid, but i did take offence to this statment, and made it my personal journey to make Gunny eat these words. not out of malice, spite or hate, but to work my way into the elite community of airsoft snipers.

Yeah, things have changed quite a bit since I wrote that. Feel free to write a new article.
ImageImage
Eyes On

Postby k3gn3123512 » Tue May 04, 2010 6:56 pm

Caffeine and Rage wrote:The ARES isn't worth that much more than the UTG, in my opinion.

The MK96 from UTG has a cylinder that you can open, it's fully compatible with the Maruzen parts.

Airsoft Outlet has the 6.03 MadBull barrels for the L96, as well as a metal cylinder/spring guide/spring upgrade kit, which will put you at about 530-550 when combined. Get a good bucking and install everything right and you'll be golden.

I'm willing to go all out on this. So I'll probably start with a UTG and then put all the money into upgrades.
k3gn3123512
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Braddock » Tue May 04, 2010 7:47 pm

should I sticky this?
Braddock

Postby KA-BAR » Tue May 04, 2010 8:42 pm

please. i will be doing further updates.
I am not half as good as I want to be, but I am twice as good as you think I am.
KA-BAR

Postby shogun » Wed May 05, 2010 12:08 am

a few years ago i wouldnt have agreed with you morgan, but now i own one of the cheap china knockoffs of the tanaka m700, and while it did need some tender love and care, a drillbit here and some locktite there, with very simple modifications it has become quite the performer and for 300$ less than the gun it copied.

also i have installed barrels and cylinder kits in quite a few UTG L96 platforms with fantastic results.

the world of airsoft bolt actions is changing.

remember kids, a killer bolt wont make you a good marksman, or a good sniper, but it cant hurt.
shogun
Specops
Specops

Team: SOTA

Postby Eddywangchang » Sun May 09, 2010 2:01 pm

The UTG L96 is not completely compatible with the maruzen l96. The front end of the barrel is different, there is no silencer adapter available for the utg l96, i bought the aps2 and type 96 adapter from king arms they dont work...
there are no stupid questions.... only stupid people
Eddywangchang
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Nelson674 » Sun May 16, 2010 11:47 am

Who is this Youngblood fellow and how may i contact him?

By the way excellent post KA-BAR. Short, sweet, and informative.

Nelson

P.S. i vote for a sticky
Nelson674
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Patrick750 » Sun May 16, 2010 4:27 pm

nice info, i also vote for a sticky.
A dirty Pantac is a happy Pantac
Patrick750
Specops
Specops

Postby tingsoon1 » Sun May 16, 2010 9:32 pm

As far as Echo 1's ASR goes, I can attest for that. I was effectly engaging targets today (ThunderStrike) up to 60+ yards with ease. I've got the piston-spring-spring guide upgrade kit in it, as well as a 6.01 mm tight bore. Using madbull .40 bb's really makes a big difference...
With .2's it chronoed at 525, not bad for what I put into it...
Stock gun: 110$
Spring/piston upgrade kit: 30$
6.01 mm tightbore: 45$

Total: 185$

The only complaint I have is that the stock snapped off when I fell against a tree. The buffer tube actually snapped off the back of the gun.

I either need to purchase another lower reciever or JB weld my stock back into position... The part that snapped is where the buffer tube meets the back fo the rifle.
I talk too much.
tingsoon1
Soldier
Soldier

Postby KA-BAR » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:04 pm

this was slotted to be stickied. mods make it happen please!
I am not half as good as I want to be, but I am twice as good as you think I am.
KA-BAR

Next

Return to Bolt-Action & Snipers