the Scout Rifle.

Discussion about sniper rifles or bolt-action.

Postby Jihad » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:36 am

KA-BAR wrote:
P.S. for the real steel shooters out there. there is a few pics in this thread where the rifles have 2 forward mounted sling lugs.....cooper called this ching slinging. can some one please explain to this newb what the f**k this is, what its used for....so on and so fourth. thanks.

EDIT

The Ching sling is a fast, convenient sling for general field use. The Ching sling, requires a third sling mounting point, usually just ahead of the magazine/floorplate, and this can be a minor problem if your rifle uses detachable magazines. You won't see Ching slings used in long-range shooting matches, and you won't see many hunters hooking up their slings to their match coats.
Jihad
Ranger
Ranger

Team: N/A

Postby LettuceHead » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:46 pm

Cool idea and something I had not seen done in airsoft. Bravo for originality! I've read a bit from Cooper too. He had some great concepts and philosophies regarding firearms. Bigger was always better :D

I have used a forward-mounted LER scope on a short rifle before and I preferred it for certain applications. My cousin in California is a big believer in them for hunting in brushy hills, where shots on deer and wild boar can be from 25 yards out to 250. It is much quicker to get on target with both eyes open with a fixed 2.5X than anything rear mounted. I had less eye strain too, since I could open both eyes and focus away from the scope easier.

Edit: While I like a lot of the pics, seeing an 03 Springfield and a Lee-Enfield chopped up makes me cry :cry:
LettuceHead
Soldier
Soldier

Postby KA-BAR » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:03 am

well i promised pics, and KA-BAR always keeps his promises.

i painted the gun in a two tone fashion very similar to what Booligan did in his build. but i opted for a OD finish instead of a Khaki/sand. the gun is pretty much done cosmeticly, but internaly there is still some room left to upgrade and tinker.

i really liked how this turned out. i kept a few parts still black, like the trigger, rear ghost ring sight, and the front sight post. the rear scope cap, and the safety.

for shits and giggles i mounted a small RIS rail on the front end so that i can mount a PEQ-15. not only does it look sexy but it fits the impression quite well. soon i will get a actual adjustable green laser that i can use to paint targets.

over all like i have said before, i am really happy with what i accomplished here. if you see me wielding this at a game and want a closer look feel free to step up.

thanks for all the views and comments.

KA-BAR out
I am not half as good as I want to be, but I am twice as good as you think I am.
KA-BAR

Postby Beran » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:09 am

looks good, morg. glad to see some use out of that scope. is that rail mounted with just JB weld? how solid is it?
Let your plans be as dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
Beran

Team: APST

Postby KA-BAR » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:13 am

yea, its just JB weld. i used a file to rough up the outter barrel. then i totally filled the RIS rail with JB weld untill it was level with the bottom, maybe a little overflowing. i used the LBW that sets in 4 mins so i had to work quickly. it took me like three tries to get it bore sighted, and to be honest it still isnt quite there. but you know what, its bleeding airsoft and i will use some good ol kentuckey windage if i have to.

once i got it to sit on there flat as possible i let it cure over night. shit is solid as a rock. guess ill find out how solid when i drop it.

this was the first time i ever used JBW so the job looks really messy .....like some poor SOB bleeding tac welded the rail onto a barrel....LOL.
I am not half as good as I want to be, but I am twice as good as you think I am.
KA-BAR

Postby dosSantos » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:34 am

Very nicely done and well executed. I like the thought and craftsmanship that went into this. BTW, good on you for not reacting to that earlier poster's inappropriate comments; not like you are asking for people's advice on which sub $100, 400 fps starter gun to buy...
dosSantos

Team: RR KBAB

Postby Beran » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:35 pm

the JB doesnt look too bad, kind of resembles a weld. if you want, you can clean it up with a dremel and repaint it. looks fine to me though.
Let your plans be as dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
Beran

Team: APST

Postby slipstream » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:32 pm

Very cool! I have an MB02 that I have yet to decide what to do with, and this looks like a really interesting build idea.
slipstream
Specops
Specops

Postby KA-BAR » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:28 pm

do yourself a favor. get one.

i just got back from OP:Rez 2, and i had a blast with this rifle. everyone who is anyone who handled it or shot it was like holy shit, this is stock.

430 FPS consistant out of the box.

all this gun is going to ever need is a TB. i dont think i will ever upgrade the cylinder. Mod the cylinder, yes. upgrade, possibly not.

i opened it up and the piston is a cup piston not a O-ring. the compression is really good for a stock plastic internals. with a tight bore and a few mods this will be shooting a solid 450/470. i think that is perfect for a DMR. and it matches the BB wieghts i was using today which was .20s and .25s. these were both able to reach out and touch people out to 70 yards easily, and out to 80 yards with some good ol fanageling and kentuckey windage.

the iron sights are so amazing against live targets from 25-40 yards.

this style of rifle suits my gameplay more then a ghillie and a long arm. shit i might just roll a few games with just my veil like the GnG snipers.

fried gold.
KA-BAR

Postby Merchant » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:40 pm

That thing was hot man, and it shot damn strait.
Merchant
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Seagreen » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:57 pm

Certainly a well pulled off build Morgan. You may want to drill and tap the mount though. I don't think JB Weld will hold up for an extended amount of time.
"5 color Woodland....it's the new thing."
Seagreen

Team: AIRSOC

Postby Cap n pickles » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:35 am

Yes, i was very impressed with this rifle. Cant wait to get my Project started!
"All our liberties are due to men who, when their conscience has compelled them, have broken the laws of the land."
William Kingdon Clifford
Cap n pickles

Postby Hallowground » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:12 pm

I was thinking of building on this, but in a more short range build. by that I mean taking a bolt action platform, dropping the fps below 400 for safety at under 20 yards, shortening the barrel considerably, mounting only iron sights, putting in a 6.01 tightbore and using high weight BBs (still chrono at 380-400 with .20s, but use .30s and up).

By shortening I mean taking an SR-2 style platform (ACM M1871, ECHO1 ASR, WELL MB06) and cutting down the outer barrel to anywhere between 0" and 8" from the receiver. By this example I'm not excluding other guns, the SR-2 is just one of my favorites, but I do not know whether I'll have to modify an AEG 6.01 barrel or if the hopup in compatable with other guns.

The ultimate purpose of the rifle is to provide satisfactory accuracy at ranges between 20 and 30 yards with a short, light, bolt platform.

yes, this could all be done easily with an AEG but the bolt platform provides a different mindset of taking your time with each shot that I enjoy.
forgive my ignorance, it happens to everyone.
Hallowground
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Merchant » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:23 pm

The only problem is once you cut the outer barrel down to 0"-8" the inner barrel will be as long as an MP5k.
Merchant
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Hallowground » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:09 pm

Very true. i believe torso-size target acuracy at 20 yards is still be achievable with a barrel that short.
Also, I may just use an R700 and cut down the barrel to the end of the stock with one of those GI long
rails and a set of cheap knock-off MBUSs
Would a TM VSR10 spring fit in an R700?
What equipment do i need to custom-cut an inner barrel?
forgive my ignorance, it happens to everyone.
Hallowground
Soldier
Soldier

PreviousNext

Return to Bolt-Action & Snipers