[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4800: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
the Scout Rifle. - Bolt-Action & Snipers

the Scout Rifle.

Discussion about sniper rifles or bolt-action.

the Scout Rifle.

Postby KA-BAR » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:14 pm

hey all KA-BAR here.

Today i'd like to take a look at a intresting concept in american rifle history. This is called the Scout rifle. this concept was concived by one of the worlds greatest rifle and pistol shooters. the Late Great Jeff Cooper. lets take a closer look at who this man was...

HISTORY

John Dean "Jeff" Cooper (May 10, 1920 - September 25, 2006) was recognized as the father of what is commonly known as "the Modern Technique" of handgun shooting, and is considered to be one of the 20th century's foremost international experts on the use and history of small arms.

Born John Dean Cooper, but known to his friends as "Jeff", Cooper was a Marine Lieutenant Colonel who served in both World War II and the Korean War resigning his commission in 1956.[citation needed] He received a bachelor's degree in political science from Stanford University and, in the mid-1960s, a master's degree in history from the University of California, Riverside.

In 1976, Cooper founded the American Pistol Institute (API) in Paulden, Arizona (later the Gunsite Training Center). Cooper also began teaching shotgun and rifle classes to law enforcement and military personnel as well as civilians and did on-site training for individuals and groups around the Free World. He sold the firm in 1992 but continued living on the Paulden ranch. He was known for his advocacy of large caliber handguns, especially the Colt 1911 and the .45 ACP cartridge.

Jeff Cooper conceived and designed the Bren Ten pistol around the 10 mm Auto,[1] based on the Czech CZ 75 design. The cartridge was more powerful than both the 9 mm Luger and the .45 ACP round.

His second major contribution to firearms design was what he termed a Scout Rifle.

Cooper defined his goal: "... a general-purpose rifle is a conveniently portable, individually operated firearm, capable of striking a single decisive blow, on a live target of up to 200 kilos in weight, at any distance at which the operator can shoot with the precision necessary to place a shot in a vital area of the target."

Cooper died peacefully at his home on the afternoon of Monday, September 25, 2006.

if you are a avid shooter and dont know who jeff cooper is, there is a wealth of info on the net about this great man.

WHAT MAKES A SCOUT RIFLE?

The Colonel’s Idea
The Scout Rifle was a general purpose rifle defined and promoted by Jeff Cooper in the late 1970s. Cooper a lifelong student of small arms, a recognized expert in the field, realized that rifles in the late 20th century differed little from those made one hundred years earlier. The Colonel wroteâ€
Last edited by KA-BAR on Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KA-BAR

Team: N/A

Postby Snowman » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:18 pm

So maybe something like this?

top lel
Snowman

Postby KA-BAR » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:20 pm

short barrel
iron sights

that is a great candidate. i would go with a LER type scope for a more finished look. but, yea. you got the idea kid. keep rockin.
Last edited by KA-BAR on Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KA-BAR

Postby Merchant » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:20 pm

This reminds me of a guide that Booligan posted on ASR. Here is a link, did a nice job on his scout rifle.

Last edited by Merchant on Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merchant
Soldier
Soldier

Postby KA-BAR » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:22 pm

HEY thanks for the link. i needed this. i was reading it, then i lost it. this was also a inspiration to my build.
I am not half as good as I want to be, but I am twice as good as you think I am.
KA-BAR

Postby Merchant » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:24 pm

No prob, I really like the look of the multicam he had on his, but for that price I would have built off a TM G-spec. How did you manage to get your hands on a JG anyway? I haven't seen them in stock anywhere for a while.
Merchant
Soldier
Soldier

Postby KA-BAR » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:29 pm

i bought a well MB02 @ airsplat. i am going to once again take a crap platform and make it a feared weapon.

did it with the TSD M700.

now its Well/Galaxy/CYMA turn.

the box it came in says AGM?

i think all these clones come from the same place, and someone is just rebranding like a champ.
Last edited by KA-BAR on Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KA-BAR

Postby Merchant » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:30 pm

I see, well I am looking forward to hearing how it goes. a scout rifle would be an awsome build.
Merchant
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Freespace535 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:45 pm

Hmm so maybe getting a scope for my Soc16 wouldn't look so bad after all. Still, it wouldn't be able to shoot worth balls.
This is my signature. Hear it roar.
Freespace535
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Nelson674 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:09 pm

I love scout rifles. I'm looking forward to see this come together.

I've got something similar to this little guy that I'd sell off to ya for cheap if your interested. Not sure how hard it would be to adapt it to your receiver. Sounds like whatever you do there is going to be at least some minor fabrication going on.

Nelson674
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Beran » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:44 pm

Let your plans be as dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
Beran

Team: APST

Postby Cap n pickles » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:53 pm

"All our liberties are due to men who, when their conscience has compelled them, have broken the laws of the land."
William Kingdon Clifford
Cap n pickles

Postby VogonFord » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:24 am

Don't bother with the scout rifle concept, at least in regards to scope placement. It's a bad idea to do unless your rifle of choice requires you to place a scope in that position due to the action or recoil. It limits your scope options to ones that have very long eye relief, which is not a plus. Such scopes are much darker and have much worse quality than an equivalently priced scope of the same power.

Scout rifle is okay on rifles that eject straight up, which keep you from mounting the scope in an optimal position due to its shell ejection, straight-bolt rifles, which the scope blocks the action of, and safari rifles, where the excessive recoil could smash your face in if the scope was that close to you. In the first two options, I'm actually more a fan of side-mount, despite the misaligment in regards to the bore. In safari rifles, yeah, go ahead and do that, it's the best option available.

However, there is absolutely no point in doing the scout rifle concept with airsoft. All you're doing is limiting your scope choices and massively decreasing scope quality. Sure, it's a different look (I think it looks stupid, but whatever), but do you really want to make your rifle worse?

If you want something new and cool for you, make a Vietnam M40. I don't think I've ever seen you run a classic rifle, right?
VogonFord
Specops
Specops

Team: {FAG}

Postby KA-BAR » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:59 am

and..... moving right along. more pics.

after spending more time reading booligans ASR article, i am soooo making this impression.not only is it a cheap and fun build. but it also looks and sounds very functional to shoot and carry.

as for my paint job, i will not go the route that ol boolie went. no hydrodip for me, but i will do a similar two tone look to it. i really like the way his turned out, so hopefully mine will be the equal to his endevor.

thanks to all that have posted in the thread. sorry if i am not tracking you, this thread was not created as a discussion or me looking for approval or opinions. if you feel that strongly about it, well then good for you. i am not trying to impress anyone. i posted this to show what i am doing.

see ya around.
I am not half as good as I want to be, but I am twice as good as you think I am.
KA-BAR

Postby KA-BAR » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:28 am

UPDATE.

well i got the platform and all the parts necessary for this build. big shout out to the gearwhore Josh Beran for hooking a brother up with tons of good shit for the build.

he gave me a AGM rear sight from the gas shotgun and a bitchen LER scope. i went out to sportsmans warehouse and picked up a front sight post for a 10/22. its a red fiber optic and pretty much looks BADASS.

i JB welded some RIS for the forward mounted scope. kewl thing is if i get bored with the rear sight, i can take it off, put on my RIS in the rear, and i am good to go for remounting my magnified optic.

this gun is soooo much fun to shoot. i had no idea i would ever love iron sights so much.

i am going to spend the day today painting it and getting it ready for its debut at OP:resurection 2.

stay tuned.

P.S. for the real steel shooters out there. there is a few pics in this thread where the rifles have 2 forward mounted sling lugs.....cooper called this ching slinging. can some one please explain to this newb what the shazaam this is, what its used for....so on and so fourth. thanks.
Last edited by KA-BAR on Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
KA-BAR

Next

Return to Bolt-Action & Snipers