Modifying JG BAR10 to weaker spring and longer barrel

Discussion about sniper rifles or bolt-action.

Modifying JG BAR10 to weaker spring and longer barrel

Postby Cyclops » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:22 am

Had a custom JG BAR10 built and after a month of play I plan on doing a couple changes to it. First off it chronos at 575 which is to hot for field play. I currently have a SP170 spring and I'm getting the SP150 to help lower the FPS some. I also have a 6.01 500mm Angel barrel and with my silencer I have an extra 5" from tip of silencer to the end of the inner barrel. Sooo I have been looking around and found this barrel and was wondering if it's worth spending the extra cash for a barrel I have never heard of.... http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?c ... s_id=35769 6.00 550mm. I figured this might help with those long shots and accuracy. What is your input?
Cyclops
Ranger
Ranger

Team: F.O.A.D

Re: Modifying JG BAR10 to weaker spring and longer barrel

Postby Reaver » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:48 am

Looks ok. Just remember what I said about needing to run high precision ammo, as there is slim to no room for error on that barrel. Off shaped ammo, seams, out of balance ammo will all run havoc with a barrel that tight. Going to have to start orderingpellets next :)
When in doubt, empty the mag.
Reaver
Soldier
Soldier

Team: F.O.A.D

Re: Modifying JG BAR10 to weaker spring and longer barrel

Postby Cloudyrains » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:01 am

Bigger is not always better. From everything I have read regarding the VSR-10 design it seems the stock 430mm barrels preform the best due to the cylinder volume of the gun. Also, a bore size that small (assuming that is accurate) will most likely lead to a lot of jamming unless you swab it religiously. I would recommend getting a PDI, laylax, or polarstar 430mm barrel that is at least 6.01mm, preferably 6.03mm. On the flipside of that, keep in mind range is almost entirely dictated by your hopup. A good, well tuned hopup is the key to long range.

Also, if you have the tools, you can just cut your M170 spring down a couple rungs and it should reduce muzzle velocity. If memory serves 1 rung is about 5-10 FPS, so in your case I would cut the spring about 4 rungs. My M170 put me at 700 FPS :?

*EDIT* Also, now that I look at that barrel more, I noticed that it is only for the Systema PTW/CTW guns. It wouldn't work in your bolt, or any other non PTW/CTW gun for that matter.
Cloudyrains
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Return to Bolt-Action & Snipers