[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4800: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Possible to cut a long barrel to length I want? - Bolt-Action & Snipers

Possible to cut a long barrel to length I want?

Discussion about sniper rifles or bolt-action.

Possible to cut a long barrel to length I want?

Postby Cyclops » Mon May 20, 2013 11:12 pm

I have been looking for a barrel for some time now with no luck. I'm looking for a 600 to 610mm 6.03 maybe a 6.05 IF that's whats around. I was thinking of ordering a 650mm and cutting it to fit in my Bar10 with a silencer on it. Looking for the inner barrel to go roughly 1/2 inch from the end of the silencer. Whats the best way to cut the barrel with out heating it or damaging the end of it? Is it possible? How would you do it? And yes I do know that's a long barrel BUT I'm already running around with this gun so no extra length will be added to what I already play with. Just trying to fine tooth a few section of my sniper gun. Thx......
Cyclops
Ranger
Ranger

Team: F.O.A.D

Re: Possible to cut a long barrel to length I want?

Postby Deleteplz » Mon May 20, 2013 11:18 pm

It's possible, but you'll need the proper tools to machine the end of the barrel to remove the burs after cutting it.

It's better just to locate a custom barrel somewhere, or something that's slightly shorter than you need it to be.
Airsoft Pacific's 2006 Most Improved Player
Deleteplz

Team: N/A

Postby McNair » Tue May 21, 2013 12:40 am

I've done it multiple times to make barrels for SBRs.

I just cut off what was sticking out of the barrel then I used my deburring tool from my reloading kit to clean it up and crown it. Have had no issues.
McNair

Postby SA12 » Tue May 21, 2013 6:08 am

I use a cheap pipe cutter from Walmart (its like $5) and take my time making the cut. Then I used a cone snapped dremel tool to crown the end by hand.

Do a test cut on an old barrel if you're not comfortable.
SA12
Soldier
Soldier

Team: SOTA

Postby McNair » Tue May 21, 2013 6:59 am

Yeah, the pipe cutter works the best, but go slow. If you rush it you can pinch the barrel.
McNair

Postby spazzticsmurff » Wed May 22, 2013 12:20 pm

spazzticsmurff
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cyclops » Wed May 22, 2013 1:17 pm

Ya that makes sense. TY guys.....
Cyclops
Ranger
Ranger

Team: F.O.A.D

Postby Alien_Hunter » Wed May 22, 2013 2:34 pm

If I were doing doing I would score the barrel with something like a PVC cutter. Put the blade over the exact spot and rotate the barrel to leave a mark, the deeper the impression the better. Then I would snug it up in my vice, the notched part that takes items vertically. Be sure to place the notch in the barrel only a hair above the clamp so that you can run a hacksaw through it and the notch will act as a guide for the blade. Then of course de-burr the barrel.
I'm the osiris of this.
Alien_Hunter
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Jester316 » Wed May 22, 2013 8:18 pm

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby The Grand Baboon » Thu May 23, 2013 6:55 am

Brass is a pretty soft metal...so are *most* airsoft barrels for that matter. When I cut a barrel I use a miter saw with a carbide blade that has a high tooth count. The miter saw makes a perfect 90° cut. I then take a deburring tool and remove the material on the inside of the barrel while I use 220 and then 600 grit sandpaper to clean up the rest of the cut so that it looks pleasant.
"Oohrah, Gunny. Oohrah, Momma Dog."
The Grand Baboon
Grunt
Grunt

Return to Bolt-Action & Snipers