Ghillie Suit

Discussion about sniper rifles or bolt-action.

Ghillie Suit

Postby newboots » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:49 pm

Hi I would like to get some input from you about ghillie suits. I would like to hear from those who have run them and those who haven't. some things I'd like to touch on are what style ( head and shoulders only, just the back, front and back, ect...)works well or you like for our fields out in the pacific northwest. color combinations that you like of work well. a price that you think is a fair price for a ghillie(we'll use a just the back with hood/hat, shirt, and pants as the price point example)
fields or locations you run a ghillie or have success running a ghillie. I would also love to here problems that you have with ghillies or critiques that you have for ghillies.

thank you for your time i look forward to your responces. :D
semper cum honore
always with honor
newboots
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Re: Ghillie Suit

Postby Aforbit » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:11 pm

Hello Newboots,

I found this how to on wiki how

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Ghillie-Suit
it looks cheaper to make your own if you're willing to put forth the effort to do so.

I did a Google search for the ghillie suits and they seem to run anywhere from 99 to 180+ range.

In the Pac-NW you should not have to deal with too much hot weather, but just be careful in the summertime Ghillie suits are not know to breath well. Hydrate Hydrate Hydrate ;)

As for the colors you should use look at your local Airsoft fields and take account of the greenery around them. Then pick the colors to match, just be sure to break up the colors in to random patterns so that it breaks up your silhouette.

I hope this helps.

Respectfully,
Aforbit
There is no 'overkill.' There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.
Aforbit
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Postby Matt » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:37 pm

Seagreen has made a lot of ghillie suits, you should shoot him a PM.
Matt

Team: APST

Postby NFS_Shadow » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:10 pm

I've made a few ghillie suits myself and I've always found (from experience) to not bother with the front of the chest belly or legs because they just rub and tear on the terrain. (This also causes noise) there are many possibilities for constructing a ghillie. You can either go with the flight suit and burlap route (some say far superior, it does imitate natural textures and colors once dyed nearly perfectly because well burlap) or there's the netting and jute thread route. I've found this to be extremely effective primararely because it offers a very breathable and when stored very compact alternative to a full flight suit. I've made and used both with great success. However this being said the jute and netting option is much easier and cooler (air flow). Either way you must make it yourself or you will never get it functioning properly
Cloudy rains: "I am the master handjob-man."

"Well we're surrounded. They can't get away this time"
- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC
NFS_Shadow
Ranger
Ranger

Team: 56Th

Return to Bolt-Action & Snipers