Well l96 or bar 10

Discussion about sniper rifles or bolt-action.

Well l96 or bar 10

Postby RebirthEarth » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:57 pm

So I have been looking into some decent upgradeable snipers and I have narrowed it down to a Wells l96 or a bar 10. Now I ask, what would you prefer between the two based on upgrades, out of box, mobility, overall performance. Never owned a airsoft sniper before so please no disrespect and I appreciate any opinions, facts and statements. Even if you suggest me to a different rifle I don't mind. Thank you. :D
RebirthEarth
Recruit
Recruit

Team: N/A

Re: Well l96 or bar 10

Postby newboots » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:20 am

Between the two go with the bar-10 it can handle more upgrades and is more comfortable and maneuverable in my opinion.
semper cum honore
always with honor
newboots
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Jester316 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:47 am

RebirthEarth wrote:So I have been looking into some decent upgradeable snipers and I have narrowed it down to a Wells l96 or a bar 10. Now I ask, what would you prefer between the two based on upgrades, out of box, mobility, overall performance. Never owned a airsoft sniper before so please no disrespect and I appreciate any opinions, facts and statements. Even if you suggest me to a different rifle I don't mind. Thank you. :D

Get a good quality AEG. Bolt actions take work, hours, and money to get shooting acceptable... Unless you are Morgan... I have HUNDREDS of hours of work into my bolt action. The inner barrel was hand made for my gun and cost more than the base rifle did. All so I can take on shot and get killed by hundreds of bbs that people hurl at bolt actions when they hear one go off. This isn't COD. You won't be no scoping nut shots at 600'.

Don't forget that bolt action need a sidearm too, so factor another $150 in to your price for a good quality gbb.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby ogrejager » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:15 am

RebirthEarth wrote:So I have been looking into some decent upgradeable snipers

"Snipers" are people. "Sniper rifles" are what you are talking about. I'm pretty sure you can't buy an upgradeable person.

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Postby Alien_Hunter » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:16 am

For the love of god, get an AEG. I see countless upgraded VSR style guns for sale on CraigsList that "just didn't work out". With an AEG, all you need is a good barrel, good BB's and a good hop up.
I'm the osiris of this.
Alien_Hunter
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Rentax » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:01 am

I agree with everything Jester said. Oger is complete correct unless were talking about real dolls (please don't google that). Alien hunter is also correct, people think that using a sniper rifle is going to be easier, because there are less moving parts, but the fact of the mater is, as basic as the rifle is, it's a much harder platform to get working well. You will find less parts for them because there are fewer sniper rifle's on the market and those who are making products for them can charge more because there aren't that many people making parts. for instance a decent AEG hop-up will run you around $20 where as the only decent APS2 Hop up runs $85. That's 4 times as much for 1 part, and doesn't include a the new barrel you will have to buy to work with your new hop up... add another $45 (if you buy a cheap mad bull one) and you're looking at $130 for just 2 parts add the cost of the gun and you could have bought a well tuned AEG for less than that. And you haven't touched the cylinder, piston, spring or trigger box.
All that being said, here is a bit of information you are looking for, (all of this could have been found by looking online)
The Bar-10 runs the VSR system, the L96 run's the APS2 system. There is a difference in parts compatibility for these systems, look at prices of parts, and look at what upgrades you are going to need and compare. Also check magazine compatibility and availability because you are going to need more and if the mags are hard to find that sucks for you.
I was talking to a tech out at Airsoft Outlet the other day and although he and I both agreed that the L96 looks stupid as shit, he said it was a good platform. But if you were going to buy one get the UTG one, because although they are clones form better brands, they have a USA call center that is forced to field calls about crappy product, so they have started making a better product and have better customer support. Some of the other clones aren't as regular, and have been know to have problems when installing upgraded parts.
That's pretty much all I know.
I'd suggest heading the advice you are hearing. It look as though you just joined AP and are looking to get into the sport. Most people should start with an AEG and work on their tactics and field craft long before trying to step up to the sniper role. It's far less glory and far more work that most people believe.
We do what we want
Rentax

Postby RebirthEarth » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:27 pm

Rentax you are right I have just joined AP. but I have ran the field a good bit with an AEG. I do enjoy AEG gameplay but I'm wanting to get back into the sport again and this time I'd like to try a different "style". Going to skirmishes I have played a couple games with a dmr/sniper rifle and I really liked it.
RebirthEarth
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Cyclops » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:37 pm

I play both rolls AEG and sniper. Most players think sniper run in bushes and sit still waiting for the enemy to come to them. I like to mix it up a bit cause not many players ever think of a sniper being on the front line which I have done several times. It's fun watching the faces of players when you have them in your scope and you shoot them (at a safe distance more then 60 ft for the safety kill). I like the DMR roll but with the sniper gun. Throws a lot of players off. Just have to keep in mind that you only have one shot where others have 20 plus Bbs flying at ya. One game I had a team mate come to me during play and asked if I could cover him. I looked at him and said "Really!!!". I had to remind him that I'm not the covering type and he should ask someone else... Good laughs through our team for that one tho.
Cyclops
Ranger
Ranger

Team: F.O.A.D

Postby Aforbit » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:33 am

I am not going to beat this one to death but yeah A good AEG its well worth it. What thise guys are saying is not just exclusive to the PACNW AOR.

Alien_Hunter wrote: I see countless upgraded VSR style guns for sale on CraigsList that "just didn't work out". With an AEG, all you

I see the same of listings down here in Florida. Everyone wants to be that "Jungel bunny" sniper but it ends up being more work then they barganed for.

You might do better with a DMR like an M-14 or SVD kind of ease in to the Markmen role then work into to the Sniper role.
There is no 'overkill.' There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.
Aforbit
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Alien_Hunter » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:15 am

You could always buy an AEG and make it shoot semi only, play with mid caps. One time I got my AK shooting semi-only on accident :roll: .
I'm the osiris of this.
Alien_Hunter
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Shortbu » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:20 am

I run with my sniper quite a bit, but more like Cyclops does. Sitting and waiting,choosing which targets to shoot and which to let go, and then having EVERYBODY on the opposing team gunning for you as soon as you fire off a shot, can get pretty lame. I carry my sniper riffle ( heavily upgraded bar10), have my sidearm (upgraded We xdm) or dual mac11a1's, AND my vfc mp5 strapped to my back. It's an expensive kit,but gives me the ability to do whatever the game situation calls for.
As for the L96, or Bar10 question, it's personal preference. I prefer the bar 10, as I like the vsr platform. Parts seem to be more readily available, and affordable. The gun is more comfortable, and lighter. And I feel the L96 is ugly as he'll!!!
But beware these critters take time and money (lots of it) to get correct. And they are rather problematic,so endless you have lots of time, money, and patience, I agree with others as to getting a "Good" DMR. The G&G M14 long version, the TM m14, a quality sr25, are all good choices.
Sniping can be a ton of fun, but it's not for the impatient, or for somebody on a tight budget.
Joke em' if they can't take a shazaam!
Shortbu
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Aforbit » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:11 pm

RebirthEarth wrote:Rentax you are right I have just joined AP. but I have ran the field a good bit with an AEG. I do enjoy AEG gameplay but I'm wanting to get back into the sport again and this time I'd like to try a different "style". Going to skirmishes I have played a couple games with a dmr/sniper rifle and I really liked it.

I just want to throw out this little disclaimer:

Rebirth please don't take our advice the wrong way we are not calling you a noob or anything like that. I understand you have some experience with airsoft. I think that's its good you're getting back in to the sport, however also understand that we don't hold punches here. All of us will give you an honest option of what we think you should do, but in the end its your choice on what you want to do. Just understand if you do really want to play a sniper then you have a very long and expensive road ahead of you. If you have the self-discipline, money, time, and hart to stick with it... then you can be part of the few who do and even then that's just to be semi-effective at the sniper role. As the guys here will tell you not only will it take all that I for mentioned it also takes countless hours in the field to truly become "Good" at the sniper role. I am not trying to crush on your dreams I just want you to go in to this with both eyes open and knowing that the odds are stacked in the houses favor and all your gonna get dealt are bad hands.

It's not all doom and gloom if you become a good sniper you will get a lot of filed rep , respect and people will want you to be on their team. we have a real jungle bunny ( our slang for a sniper down here in FL) that plays out on our fields. He is a real good guy fun to play with but ughh sucks to be on the wrong end of his VSR. I have seen people rage quit due to his ablity to ambush fireteams with claymores and sniper fire.
There is no 'overkill.' There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.
Aforbit
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Rentax » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:43 pm

Aforbit wrote:
RebirthEarth wrote:Rentax you are right I have just joined AP. but I have ran the field a good bit with an AEG. I do enjoy AEG gameplay but I'm wanting to get back into the sport again and this time I'd like to try a different "style". Going to skirmishes I have played a couple games with a dmr/sniper rifle and I really liked it.

I just want to throw out this little disclaimer:

Rebirth please don't take our advice the wrong way we are not calling you a noob or anything like that. I understand you have some experience with airsoft. I think that's its good you're getting back in to the sport, however also understand that we don't hold punches here. All of us will give you an honest option of what we think you should do, but in the end its your choice on what you want to do. Just understand if you do really want to play a sniper then you have a very long and expensive road ahead of you. If you have the self-discipline, money, time, and hart to stick with it... then you can be part of the few who do and even then that's just to be semi-effective at the sniper role. As the guys here will tell you not only will it take all that I for mentioned it also takes countless hours in the field to truly become "Good" at the sniper role. I am not trying to crush on your dreams I just want you to go in to this with both eyes open and knowing that the odds are stacked in the houses favor and all your gonna get dealt are bad hands.

It's not all doom and gloom if you become a good sniper you will get a lot of filed rep , respect and people will want you to be on their team. we have a real jungle bunny ( our slang for a sniper down here in FL) that plays out on our fields. He is a real good guy fun to play with but ughh sucks to be on the wrong end of his VSR. I have seen people rage quit due to his ablity to ambush fireteams with claymores and sniper fire.

Well said.
We do what we want
Rentax

Postby Shortbu » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:51 pm

What Aforbit said is spot on, glad to have you coming back. Which brings up another fun expense- claymores... While not necessay, they do make the sniper role more effective, but the freekin' expense. When does it ever end???? I know, in the role of the sniper- IT NEVER ENDS!
Joke em' if they can't take a shazaam!
Shortbu
Soldier
Soldier

Postby RebirthEarth » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:35 am

I thank you guys for all the free speach you gave. I didn't think that owning a bolt action would be so much work. And yes owning a bolt action means a secondary wich I was expecting. Although it will take alot of work on just the gun I'm prepared, the drive I have to put it to use on the field motivates me to do what is necessary. I won't lie I do things funky but like other things I enjoy I still create a talent for, so who knows I might have a weird play style that just adapts. Plus if I get a bolt action only to find out its just not for me then to that I say, I will never know if I don't try. So with that said it doesn't mean I can't sell it and put it towards another gun or just keep it and add to a collection seeing as airsoft is just like anyother hobby and requires money, time and dedication. I'm not planning on being on the field super fast due to some priorities like work and schooling but I will be there for sure and id enjoy meeting some new friends and maybe even you guys alongside me on the field someday.
RebirthEarth
Recruit
Recruit

Next

Return to Bolt-Action & Snipers