Quality bio ammo

Discussion about sniper rifles or bolt-action.

Quality bio ammo

Postby Jawnson » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:05 pm

So, I recently purchased a well mb05 off of craigslist, and I've had fun disassembling and gaining a general understanding of the parts by reading online. From my reading, I came to the conclusion that a tightbore barrel along with a new hop up unit would go a long way in improving the overall accuracy of the gun.

Previous to upgrading it, it chrono'd in at around 450 fps... I'm not sure what it will be at when I add the parts, but I'm hoping that someone would be able to recommend a preferred weight of bio ammo along with where I should purchase it from. I've been able to find higher weights of non bio ammo, but it doesn't seem to be legal on most fields.

Thanks,

Jawnson
Jawnson
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Re: Quality bio ammo

Postby Hawkeye [F.O.A.D.] » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:18 pm

.40's are ideal when shooting 500-550 fps (measured with .20's), and as far as I know bio's are not required when using heavier than .35's.
Hawkeye [F.O.A.D.]
Soldier
Soldier

Team: F.O.A.D

Postby Jawnson » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:56 pm

Okay, cool. I didn't know that you could use non bio for heavier bbs. Thanks!
Jawnson
Grunt
Grunt

Postby RedSpo0n » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:16 pm

Hawkeye [F.O.A.D.] wrote:.40's are ideal when shooting 500-550 fps (measured with .20's), and as far as I know bio's are not required when using heavier than .35's.

That's on a per-game basis, really. Most hosts allow the exception for heavier BBs for bolt-actions because of the comparatively small number of them left on the field. However, some field owners have VERY strict bio-only rules, no matter the number used. Some even go a step further and require that your bio BBs be a known brand at check-in to ensure biodegradability. Gonna go out on a limb and say Hawkeye is talking about The Swamp - but not all fields make that exception. (it swings the other way too, not all fields require Bio BBs at all - Ivans in Silverton for example)

That said - unless your the type that has to use Grandmasters or some other extremely precise BBs - Decent heavy weight bio BBs are available out there from various brands.
With all the pretty flowers and twigs in your ghillie.. perhaps you should take up gardening?
RedSpo0n
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Jmonday » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:22 pm

Jawnson wrote:So, I recently purchased a well mb05 off of craigslist, and I've had fun disassembling and gaining a general understanding of the parts by reading online. From my reading, I came to the conclusion that a tightbore barrel along with a new hop up unit would go a long way in improving the overall accuracy of the gun.

Previous to upgrading it, it chrono'd in at around 450 fps... I'm not sure what it will be at when I add the parts, but I'm hoping that someone would be able to recommend a preferred weight of bio ammo along with where I should purchase it from. I've been able to find higher weights of non bio ammo, but it doesn't seem to be legal on most fields.

Thanks,

Jawnson

I've pulled up a few websites on the right amount of weight for the BB's.
http://www.airsplat.com/airsoft-bbs.htm
http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/Bbs-Use-t32886.html

These should help you decide what to use. I see that your installing a tightbore barrel. You need to becareful on what brand of BB's you get, because it can ruin the inner workings of the gun. Make sure the diameter is smaller than the tightbore barrrel!

Some fields don't let you use .40's and some do. It's best to call ahead and ask someone before they tell you it's not allowed.
Jmonday
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Jawnson » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:53 pm

Oh wow, thanks for that list of fps and bb weights. I have only had the opportunity to fire .2s so far, and the accurate distance was somewhat discouraging, so The heavier ones will definitely help, especially once the r hop and tightbore arrive. Wasn't expecting much out of it anyways though, since it is 100% stock currently

Do you think that 6mm will be small enough for a 6.1 tightbore, or should I opt for some that advertise 5.95mm?
Jawnson
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Jester316 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:55 pm

Jmonday wrote:
Jawnson wrote:So, I recently purchased a well mb05 off of craigslist, and I've had fun disassembling and gaining a general understanding of the parts by reading online. From my reading, I came to the conclusion that a tightbore barrel along with a new hop up unit would go a long way in improving the overall accuracy of the gun.

Thanks,

Jawnson

I've pulled up a few websites on the right amount of weight for the BB's.
http://www.airsplat.com/airsoft-bbs.htm
http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/Bbs-Use-t32886.html

Ignore these. Find the best that works for your set up. Your gun does not fit a cookie cutter mold. Try a bunch, find what's best, and use that.

These should help you decide what to use. I see that your installing a tightbore barrel. You need to be careful on what brand of BB's you get, because it can ruin the inner workings of the gun. Make sure the diameter is smaller than the tightbore barrrel!

This statement is unnecessary. Any reputable bb will be fine. Don't use Crossman .12's (but again, that's a given). Bolt actions are different, and the bb has pretty much 0 chance of breaking the gun. There are no tightbore barrels on the market that are smaller diameter than the bb's.

Some fields don't let you use .40's and some do. It's best to call ahead and ask someone before they tell you it's not allowed.

None of the fields in Oregon place a restriction on the weight of the BB being used. The restriction is on the weight run through the chrono. The reason we use a .20g bb is because it gives us nice easy numbers to remember (330fps, 400, 550,...).

The red statements are mine. I've used a bolt action for 6 years now. I built mine over that period of time. It is my go-to rifle, and always gives me a smile. I recently switched from WE .36g bb's to Bioval .30's. I'm getting the same accuracy and range. I switched due to picking up a KWA LM4 that needs the .30 to counteract the awesome hop up. I've run .43, .40, .36, .30 bb's through it.

Bolt action rifles are unique. You cannot take what one person says and apply it to yours. You need to experiment with it to find the best combination of parts, ammo, optic, and skill to effectively employ it.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Cyclops » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:13 pm

also bio only goes up to 0.32 right? Never seen any higher then that. I use MADBULL 0.40 in my sniper. Bio only fields do let the bolt action use non bio ammo. If your decent your only going to go thru what 50 to 100 shot a day? And that's if your in the action. Like an M4 where guys lay down a couple thousands rounds.
Cyclops
Ranger
Ranger

Postby ParoJo » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:03 am

BioShot just recently held a giveaway on Facebook in which they're giving out their brand new heavier BBs so keep an eye out for BioShot .36s, .40s and .43s in the near future. I was lucky enough to have won a bag and will receive it this week, although the weight I'll be getting is/was chosen at random; I'll post an update here when I test them out if you guys are interested.
ParoJo
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Riddick » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:40 am

the exceptions to non-bio in heavier weights I am sure will be ending as now there are several white color "heavier" variations hitting the markets from a few of the rebranders out here and we will be carrying and requiring them at some junction in the future. But for now any bolt action user shooting a round heavier than .32g is exempted from the bio requirement at Sniperzden. All other platforms must use bio.

Some of the feedback I have seen has been that they were not good and full of defects in the batch from a few months ago. Apparently there is another batch arriving any time. Maybe this might be some of the stuff bioshot gave out.
Like us on Facebook: TBA
Check out our events: I'm coming back 2024
Riddick

Postby Jawnson » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:20 am

The red statements are mine. I've used a bolt action for 6 years now. I built mine over that period of time. It is my go-to rifle, and always gives me a smile. I recently switched from WE .36g bb's to Bioval .30's. I'm getting the same accuracy and range. I switched due to picking up a KWA LM4 that needs the .30 to counteract the awesome hop up. I've run .43, .40, .36, .30 bb's through it.

Bolt action rifles are unique. You cannot take what one person says and apply it to yours. You need to experiment with it to find the best combination of parts, ammo, optic, and skill to effectively employ it.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. And that's partially why I chose to start with a bolt action; I love tinkering with stuff to get it working exactly right. Heck, I think I might have more fun preparing to play than I actually do playing, haha.

Hopefully you won't mind if I shoot you a pm from time to time with questions that may arise?
Jawnson
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Hawkeye [F.O.A.D.] » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:34 pm

RedSpo0n wrote:
Hawkeye [F.O.A.D.] wrote:.40's are ideal when shooting 500-550 fps (measured with .20's), and as far as I know bio's are not required when using heavier than .35's.

That's on a per-game basis, really. Most hosts allow the exception for heavier BBs for bolt-actions because of the comparatively small number of them left on the field. However, some field owners have VERY strict bio-only rules, no matter the number used. Some even go a step further and require that your bio BBs be a known brand at check-in to ensure biodegradability. Gonna go out on a limb and say Hawkeye is talking about The Swamp - but not all fields make that exception. (it swings the other way too, not all fields require Bio BBs at all - Ivans in Silverton for example)

That said - unless your the type that has to use Grandmasters or some other extremely precise BBs - Decent heavy weight bio BBs are available out there from various brands.

All fields are different, just check with the field. I thought Sniperzden was another that let you use nonbio .40's
Hawkeye [F.O.A.D.]
Soldier
Soldier

Return to Bolt-Action & Snipers