What fps is best?

Discussion about sniper rifles or bolt-action.

Re: What fps is best?

Postby Shortbu » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:52 pm

B.O.P. Hawk wrote:If you are gonna be putting the money into the platform, there is no reason not to go up to 550 fps. But to do that reliably you have to replace the piston, the sears, the trigger box (most of the time), the spring guide, the cylinder, probably the bolt handle, and finally the spring... or in short, everything behind the hop-up...

T-Time wrote: I need something affordable. I don't need something that...

This statement does not go with a bolt-action platform at all.

You can PM me for tech advice if you want. I'm fairly experienced, and I run a small (tiny) business from home as an airsmith. I have a ~$1400 rifle with all of the top-tier components in it.

If you really like the idea of sitting back and ploinking, but don't have the money for a bolt platform, I would suggest looking in to getting a DMR platform set up. That will give you more versatility than a bolt,and it's WAY cheaper, it just requires an experienced tech to put it together.

You are young. You have a lot of time to invest into airsoft before you are out of the house and life hits ya. I would suggest getting a good reliable AEG to start and maybe putting a few upgrades in that so it's nice on the field and you can play while you upgrade you other gun.
Then in a couple months or so, get a good sturdy bolt platform and get a tightbore in it, then upgrade the hop-unit and trigger box, then move back into the compression. Accuracy and consistency is the most important thing with a bolt rifle.

VSR10 style plaforms are lighter weight, more versatile and slightly cheaper to upgrade, but they come stock with a 45 degree piston sear, which is bad juju 90% of the time.

L96/APS2 style platforms are slightly heavier and harder to find parts for, but they have 90 degree piston sears. You will have to buy a new trigger box almost every time with this one, too, as they come with potato-chip-strength plastic ones.

You can PM me for more information about anything.

Good luck!

This! Well put, and spot on with the DMR suggestion, although in our area there seems to be a few issues with games allowing DMR's. Too many people not having their replicas dedicated to semi only, event host allowing it if they agree to only use on semi, then going out and blasting people on full auto. But, that's for a whole different thread...
Joke em' if they can't take a shazaam!
Shortbu
Soldier
Soldier

Team: SpecDet1

Previous

Return to Bolt-Action & Snipers