[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4800: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
What fps is best? - Bolt-Action & Snipers

What fps is best?

Discussion about sniper rifles or bolt-action.

What fps is best?

Postby T-Time » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:00 pm

Hey guys,
Me again. So should I get a 500 fps sniper rifle or one that is in between 400 and 500 fps.
Kind of unsure on what I should get. I just want to be able to count on the range.
Thanks a lot guys!
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
George S. Patton
T-Time
Grunt
Grunt

Team: Airsoft

Re: What fps is best?

Postby Shortbu » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:11 am

1st off, I would be remorse if I didn't give my $.02 worth on airsoft sniper rifles. For one, if you plan on being an effective sniper in airsoft, you'd better have deep pockets. Building a reliable(that's a very loose term) sniper rifle with effective range and accuracy isn't cheap. I've yet to find any stock bolts that fit the bill. I have 2 of them, and have around a grand into both of them, and still have issues on occasion. Might I also say, they were both built by a VERY reputable tech. Granted, I get around 300' effective range, but it's taken a lot of money, and headache.
Secondly, most people don't really know how to be an effective sniper. It takes lots of patience, practice, and skill. You aren't going to just go out, and sit back out of range and pick off a whole squad. They WILL find you fairly quick, and then it's you with a bolt and side arm, against multiple full, or semi auto AEG's honing in on your position. Jester and I pretty much use ours in a move and shoot role. It's not like Call of Duty, and you have to adjust your skill set accordingly. Don't get me wrong, there are a few guys out there that are very effective in the sniper role, ie. Phiz, and Nug. (They have both spent A LOT on their equipment) But, as a whole, airsoft sniping is an effort in futility.
That being said, deciding between the proper FPS is all relative. Some guns can be set up to get pretty decent range at lower FPS. FPS doesn't equall range. It's about hop-up, barrel, and FPS to BB weight ratio. Having things like barrel spacers so you don't have resonance in the barrel make a difference at long range. I have an AEG that outranges just about any stock bolt,and it shoots 390 FPS. I shoot .30 gram BB's and get around 230' effective range. My Sniper rifles both shoot between 545-549 FPS, and with .40 gram BB's I get around 300' effective range.
My suggestion: figure out whether sniping is actually for you, then figure out your budget. Talk with a reliable tech. He will be able to tell you around what it's going to cost to make your rifle do what you expect it to. Then decide if it's really worth it.
I'm honestly not trying to talk you out of being a sniper, if that's what you REALLY want to do, I say go for it. But I've seen way too many people run out, and buy a stock sniper rifle, expect it to outrange everybody on the field, and get dissapointed when they get lit up all day.
Feel free to PM me if you have further questions, or just want pointed in the right direction of who to talk to. Good luck!
Joke em' if they can't take a shazaam!
Shortbu
Soldier
Soldier

Team: SpecDet1

Postby McNair » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:58 am

All the FPS.

But in reality. You're 13. Ditch the sniper rifle idea and get an AEG.

Thank you for calling it a sniper rifle, though. You're on the right path there. Many of us have to bang our canes against our porch railings whenever we see someone call a rifle a "sniper".
McNair

Team: N/A

Postby T-Time » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:26 pm

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
George S. Patton
T-Time
Grunt
Grunt

Postby T-Time » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:31 pm

George S. Patton
T-Time
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Cyclops » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:35 pm

Problem with guile suits is that when you get hit you don't feel it. I've tried running with one and never really felt anything. But when I took it off all these Bbs come falling out (at a team practice). so I never wore it again. Last thing you want is someone saying that your not calling your hits. So knowing that when I come across a player in a guile I try to shoot there hand or sry to say this but their head. But this doesn't happen as often as there is a lot of room and very few players with guile suit on.
Cyclops
Ranger
Ranger

Team: F.O.A.D

Postby T-Time » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:59 am

George S. Patton
T-Time
Grunt
Grunt

Postby ClownBaby » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:28 pm

Just Google image: Cobra Sniper Hood.
They're kind of experience, but worth it. It doesn't cover anything but your head and shoulders, leaving everything else exposed to BB fire.
Also, they're not too incredibly difficult to make yourself.
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby T-Time » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:16 pm

What anyone suggest buying one without any attachments and just building it up?
George S. Patton
T-Time
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Cyclops » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:57 pm

I personally like the L96 type sniper guns. Others may prefer the VSR10 type. Really just go into a shop and hold the gun. If it feels right then it is the one for you. May sound funny but why run a gun that doesn't feel right to your body? Most snipers now a days chrono around 475 to 550. Stick with that for awhile and if it works out for ya then slowly start building the gun. BUT like ShortBu said it does take a lot of money to get it where it should be.
Cyclops
Ranger
Ranger

Postby ClownBaby » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:49 pm

T-time, if you meant the hood, yes.

You buy them blank, and then you stuff freshly picked foliage to put in it. At the end of the day, you pull all that plant material out, shake it off, and bag it up.

That's the benefit of this system, it'll match wherever you are operating.
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Postby T-Time » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:50 pm

Sorry guys.
But how much should I buy a sniper rifle for?
George S. Patton
T-Time
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Cyclops » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:16 pm

New $160 to $250 ish. Basically your buying a gun knowing you will be stripping out like 90% of the internals. That's where it gets expensive.
Cyclops
Ranger
Ranger

Postby ClownBaby » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:13 pm

Yeah, don't get the $80 one on Evike.

Go to ThunderKissNW or Airsoft Outlet Northwest, they'll hook you up.
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Postby B.O.P. Hawk » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:15 pm

"The Last Thing You Never See"
Birds of Prey: squad assault sniper
B.O.P. Hawk
Soldier
Soldier

Team: BoP