Good Radio for Money

Radios and communication related equipment.

Good Radio for Money

Postby Bic 101 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:24 pm

The subject line says it all. I am looking for a good radio for a good price. The only requirement I have is that it needs to have a single, Motorola pin, style mic port.

I know I can look on google for this but I would rather here from someone on AP their experience with the product.

Cheers.
This is my rifle.
There are many like it, but this one is mine.
It is my life.

Excerpt from the Rifleman's Creed (Marine Creed)
Bic 101
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Postby Pacman » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Costco has a good deal on a two pack of Motorola Talkabouts which worked well for me and they usually include earpieces and rechargeable batteries. You can't go wrong as they are fairly rugged and water resistant. Walmart and Bimart also usually has them cheaper than most other retailers too.
2010 AP player of the year
Pacman
Specops
Specops

Postby Talon 1 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:34 pm

I second the Motorola Talkabout. I love mine, a real handy little radio.
Ephesians 6:13
Task Force Stryker
JTF-643
Talon 1
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Switchback » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:44 pm

I have two Motorolas from a looooong time ago. Like more than five years. They are still kicking and working well.
If not, I have been running with some nice Midlands (two pin) for about 4 games. Worth it.
"I have the cutest dog."
Switchback

Postby Sho Nuff » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:53 pm

Im looking for a 2pin motorola
Sho Nuff
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mcluvin » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:22 pm

I use a Midland radio(2 pin) and I got 2 for around 50 bucks on sale somewhere. I highly reccomend midland, or the motorola talkabouts.
forgottensons.webs.com
Mcluvin
Soldier
Soldier

Team: [FS]

Postby Sho Nuff » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:24 pm

talkabouts are 1 pin correct? I have Midlands but they wont work with head set i have.
Sho Nuff
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Archangel 06 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:52 am

Previous Rant RE: Comms wrote:Ok, I'm gonna voice a pet peeve here. The "motorolas" everyone keeps talking about - that's not what they are. They are FRS (Family Radio Service) radios. Multiple companies make FRS radios. We also have people in the community that use Tri-Square (Truly their own system), Land Mobile, Business, CB? (Do we have anyone that actually uses CB?), Amateur, and I think some MURS (Multiple-Use Radio System). In those groupings are different price ranges. Each grouping also has its pro's and con's as far as performance. Please, decide what SYSTEM you will use, then decide what brand so as to figure out how much it will cost to outfit your team.
Nasty wrote:TM preforms so well because all TM's have little fairies living in the hopups and gearboxes that give awesome accuracy, but as soon as you take them apart and modify them, the fairies fly away.

It is common knowledge.
Archangel 06
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Wombat Six » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:52 pm

Also, Motorola's 2-pin configuration and Midland's 2-pin configuration are wired differently, despite using the same connector (and neither is compatible with a Kenwood 2-pin). A headset compatible with one is not compatible with the other.

The more you know...
Ludere Causa Ludendi
Wombat Six
Specops
Specops

Postby Switchback » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:11 pm

Archangel 06 wrote:
Previous Rant RE: Comms wrote:Ok, I'm gonna voice a pet peeve here. The "motorolas" everyone keeps talking about - that's not what they are. They are FRS (Family Radio Service) radios. Multiple companies make FRS radios. We also have people in the community that use Tri-Square (Truly their own system), Land Mobile, Business, CB? (Do we have anyone that actually uses CB?), Amateur, and I think some MURS (Multiple-Use Radio System). In those groupings are different price ranges. Each grouping also has its pro's and con's as far as performance. Please, decide what SYSTEM you will use, then decide what brand so as to figure out how much it will cost to outfit your team.

If he's just looking for FRS, he should go with some low-cost midlands.
"I have the cutest dog."
Switchback

Postby Bic 101 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:09 pm

I ended up getting Midland GTX760VP4 radios. They were $65 which I am splitting with a friend and they have everything I want. Thanks for the help everyone.
This is my rifle.
There are many like it, but this one is mine.
It is my life.

Excerpt from the Rifleman's Creed (Marine Creed)
Bic 101
Soldier
Soldier

Return to Comms