Starting out with Comms? [Also, question about a radio.]

Radios and communication related equipment.

Starting out with Comms? [Also, question about a radio.]

Postby Icepick » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:31 pm

I need a piece to communicate with for some upcoming games, but I have no idea about anything when it comes to communication devices. Could you guys recommend to me what Comms you think would be the best for a beginner (me)?

Thanks, please keep budget in mind.
Last edited by Icepick on Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Icepick
Ranger
Ranger

Team: N/A

Postby Jester316 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:45 pm

Get a buddy and find a blister pack of Midland GXT (or GTX I can't remember which it is). That will put you in touch with pretty much everyone you need to talk to at an airsoft game.

Radio Etiquette
Radio channels are used to transmit vital information only.
􀂃 Consistency is important! Everyone communicating the same reduces mistakes.
􀂃 Listen to radio communication that may indicate special instructions needed in your area.
􀂃 Keep your radio with you at all times.
􀂃 Avoid stepping on other transmissions.
􀂃 Avoid “keying” your microphone (PTT held down)

Normal Transmitting
Press radio key firmly, hold, pause for a second then begin speaking into the microphone. Direct your call to the person first, then announce yourself. Example: “Control…flag one.” Wait for acknowledgement “Go ahead flag one”, and then state your message.

When using a radio you must be very specific. You cannot say "I see people in the trees". We play in forests. There are lots of trees (and a lot of people). Say "I see 3 people wearing ACU pattern at the north east corner of the village" (BTW, if you don't know your directions without a compass, learn them [or carry a compass]). ALWAYS IDENTIFY WHO YOU ARE AT THE BEGINNING AND END OF A CONVERSATION. Nothing is worse then not knowing who you are talking to.

Also, read the following link. It's geared more towards HAM radio, but there are many good lessons that can be applied to airsoft radio use as well: http://nacs.uci.edu/network/Radio_Operator.pdf

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby code789 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:51 pm

Sic vis pacem, para bellum
long live the republic
code789
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Icepick » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:06 pm

So... This might be my lucky day, I found a pair of these in the garage that seem to be functioning normally. Can anybody tell me a bit about this radio, and if it can be used at an airsoft game or not?

Thank you!
Icepick
Ranger
Ranger

Postby McNair » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:10 pm

I second what Nasty said.

You need to hold the button for 30+ seconds while you talk to the guys near you, then yell into the radio, otherwise we won't be able to hear you.
McNair

Postby Icepick » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:11 pm

Welshy McSheeplove wrote:Be sure, and this is VERY important, to always hot mic and give poorly worded status updates.

Will do! ;) Just to be sure, to hot mic is to have the talk button constantly pressed down, right?

Also, this is a HAM radio right? Not an FRS or whatever?
Icepick
Ranger
Ranger

Postby code789 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:51 pm

http://www.motorola.com/mdirect/manuals ... nual_E.pdf

Introduction
Motorola Talkabout T5320, T5410, and T5420 radios operate on Family Radio
Service (FRS) designated frequencies. This license-free, two-way radio service was
established specifically for family and group recreational use. Use of this radio
outside the country where it was intended to be distributed is subject to government

you need to take a test to operate a HAM radio and the radio goes for about 80$ for a basic 2m band one. plus if you have intentions of hotmicing on a HAM band when you get your licence. i will revoke your privileges of operating HAM radio under FCC rule and regulations[97.3(a)(23)]
long live the republic
code789
Ranger
Ranger

Postby McNair » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:06 am

OH MAN. DB ALERT.
McNair

Postby Pacman » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:09 am

I hope that was worded incorrectly. You can file a complaint against an operator with a Ham license but you yourself cannot revoke a license, that is a function the FCC reserves for itself
2010 AP player of the year
Pacman
Specops
Specops

Postby McNair » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:11 am

You're ruining his BAMF moment, Robb.
McNair

Postby Icepick » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:16 am

mcnair wrote:You're ruining his BAMF moment, Robb.

More like Robbing him of his BAMF moment!

*badum-tiss*

EDIT: Can I use this radio to communicate with other FRS radios? Or is it specifically assigned to the other radio in the pair?
Icepick
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Cloudyrains » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:25 am

It's not ham, its FRS. It will work with anyone else that has a FRS radio. If you want a HAM radio, you need to take a test, get a license, and usually drop upwards of 100$ to get a radio. You should be fine with those.
Cloudyrains
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Pacman » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:26 am

You can use those talkabouts to talk to any brand FRS. The FRS frequencies they use are all the same
2010 AP player of the year
Pacman
Specops
Specops

Postby code789 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:14 am

i'm sure it won't just be me filing a complaint getting his licence removed. just him asking about hotmicing is enough to make me feel that this kid should focus more on his history and google abilities

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Radio_Service
long live the republic
code789
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Icepick » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:37 am

code789 wrote:i'm sure it won't just be me filing a complaint getting his licence removed. just him asking about hotmicing is enough to make me feel that this kid should focus more on his history and google abilities

Why google something when I can get helpful answers from people (like you!) that know what they're talking about? It kind of takes out the guesswork, and I get all of the information that I need and don't have to sift through all of the junk.

You see, I never would've known it took a license to operate a HAM radio if you hadn't told me. I'm not really interested in getting that license anyways, so calm yourself. ;)

Also, these radios seem to be working fine after a test on fully charged batteries. Thank you guys for all of your help and information, I'll be putting it to good use on the 4th!
Icepick
Ranger
Ranger

Return to Comms