Midland Radios

Radios and communication related equipment.

Midland Radios

Postby G36 FTW » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:03 pm

Hey guys,

I've been looking to outfit my group of friends with radios for a while, and we are finally getting around to it. Problem is, I know next to nothing about radios.

After looking into a few "cheap radio" articles people have pointed out either midland or motorolla walkabout radios, so I checked out a few of the midlands on amazon. After looking through a few offers, I've decided this *looks* to be what we want:
http://www.amazon.com/Midland-GXT760VP4 ... 516&sr=1-5

They get decent range and have plenty of channels. I'm just asking here to make sure they are decent as airsoft radios (that they don't make any loud beeps/ect during calls). They are not advertised as "combat" radios, so I'm really not sure.

If anyone has had any experience with these or similar model midland radios, I'd appreciate your feedback, thanks.
Sneaking around with a derringer since 2010
THE ARMORY
G36 FTW
Specops
Specops

Team: N/A

Postby Jester316 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:12 pm

Those will be fine. Just make sure to turn off the "roger beep". That's the beep when you let go of the PTT that is almost as bad as noobs with radios.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Variable » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:15 pm

Those are fine. I owned a set of them and they worked well enough until I took them swimming.
Variable

Team: APST

Postby G36 FTW » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:59 pm

Thanks
Sneaking around with a derringer since 2010
THE ARMORY
G36 FTW
Specops
Specops

Postby Shepherd » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:54 pm

I have gone through two sets of Midlands (I forget the model numbers). One set after a couple months the PTT button on one stuck on. Nothing I could do to fix it. On the other set right out of the packaging one radio wouldn't take a charge. Transfer the battery to the other radio and it worked fine. So the charging circuit inside that one radio was broke.

Go with Motorolla radios.

If you are going to use the GRMS channels for range, get a GRMS radio license to be legal. Cost is $80. Yah, our Government at work sucking our cash again.
Shepherd
Soldier
Soldier

Return to Comms