Sordin Compatible PTT

Radios and communication related equipment.

Sordin Compatible PTT

Postby Bic 101 » Mon May 07, 2012 10:06 am

I am considering getting a set of Sordins. Yes it has the U93 single pin connector, not the Lemo 6. I am wondering if this, or similar knock offs, will work?

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?c ... s_id=32831

The reason I ask is that I have the money for the headset but not the $100 Icom PTT that is from MSA.

Cheers and thanks for the help.
This is my rifle.
There are many like it, but this one is mine.
It is my life.

Excerpt from the Rifleman's Creed (Marine Creed)
Bic 101
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Re: Sordin Compatible PTT

Postby Bic 101 » Mon May 07, 2012 10:18 am

This is my rifle.
There are many like it, but this one is mine.
It is my life.

Excerpt from the Rifleman's Creed (Marine Creed)
Bic 101
Soldier
Soldier

Postby McNair » Mon May 07, 2012 1:17 pm

Welshy McSheeplove wrote:No, a pair of real Sordins (or any headset for that matter) will not work with a reproduction PTT. You're stuck getting a real PTT.

I thought someone figured out that they won't work because the connections on the replica PTTs are reversed or something. If you take them apart and rewire them correctly, they apparently work?
I thought Austin figured that out. However, I could be very wrong and missed something.

I originally read that it was something about the mics won't work due to some electronics thing that I can't remember.
McNair

Postby McNair » Mon May 07, 2012 4:20 pm

Welshy McSheeplove wrote:I don't really know, to be honest. I'd rather spend the money on a real one, since repro PTTs (at least in my experience) break with alarming regularity. And if you're dropping $150-175 on a headset, might as well not skimp on the PTT.

I can attest to them breaking.
I just purchased a new one and I had issues with it right out of the package.

I brought up more for discussions sake and someone with more knowledge to explain the reasons they aren't compatible as I'm sure the question will come up at some point.
McNair

Postby Wombat Six » Mon May 07, 2012 6:17 pm

Milspec headsets are generally manufactured with a low impedance mic element, while the consumer knockoff geart is generally manufactured with a high impedance mic element in mind. Don't ask me to explain it much further than that, it's about where my knowledge of electronics ends. You want a 28XX to explain all that nonsense. Suffice to say it boils down to: civilians do things one way, the military does them a different way.

You can buy adapters to get around the problem, but then you're introducing just one more piece of gear into the equation that can break or malfunction on you, and you're probably going to spend as much on the adapter and the knockoff PTT as you are on the real PTT.

Yes, if the replica PTT is mis-wired (because the manufacturer really only cares if the wiring on their kit matches up with their kit, so as long as they're internally consistent, meh), you could fix this (we're all using the same U93-style plugs and jacks), but you'd still have the impedance issues to deal with (yes, you could replace the mic element).

Plus, seriously, as mentioned above, you're about to drop $150 - $200 on a headset you use to play airsoft, and you're going to skimp on the PTT because you don't want to spend that kind of money?
Ludere Causa Ludendi
Wombat Six
Specops
Specops

Postby McNair » Mon May 07, 2012 6:38 pm

Wombat Six wrote:Milspec headsets are generally manufactured with a low impedance mic element, while the consumer knockoff geart is generally manufactured with a high impedance mic element in mind.

This is what I had read. I just was too lazy to try and find the explanation again. hah. Thanks.
McNair

Postby Jewish Ninja » Wed May 09, 2012 4:27 am

To add to what Wombat said, you can use a surplus headset, but you'll be very quiet over a consumer radio. If you want to be heard easily, you need to get a headset designed for high impedance which is the radios we use (Midland, Motorola, Icom, etc). Problem with that is they are more spendy.

One route you can go is getting a pair of Sordins that are designed for shooting. They have an aux in (think iPod jack) which can be connected to an external audio source. Get a long enough male-male cord (insert hot dog joke here) and connect it to a hand mic's speaker out plug. It'll be a slightly cheaper option, and then if you need to pass the mic to someone that doesn't have a radio, all you need to do is unplug the cord from the hand mic and pass it to them.
Threepeat! AP Gearwhore of the Year.
WWGFD?
Adjective noun is adjective.
Jewish Ninja

Team: SpecDet1

Postby oki-san » Wed May 09, 2012 11:27 am

Jewish Ninja wrote:One route you can go is getting a pair of Sordins that are designed for shooting. They have an aux in (think iPod jack) which can be connected to an external audio source. Get a long enough male-male cord (insert hot dog joke here) and connect it to a hand mic's speaker out plug. It'll be a slightly cheaper option, and then if you need to pass the mic to someone that doesn't have a radio, all you need to do is unplug the cord from the hand mic and pass it to them.

I've done this and it works great. I'd recommend buying a handmic that has a rotating clip so its easier to attach to stuff.
oki-san
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Prophet » Wed May 09, 2012 3:58 pm

Since none of you are apparently on the Gearwhore Marketplace group or are too lazy to look through, I'll just post it up here. As McNair said, I actually just converted my fake PTT to work with my real MSA Sordins last weekend. Works flawlessly.

In airsoft comms, the U93's Speaker+ and Mic+ are actually reversed. All it takes is tracking down which wire goes to which connector and then swapping the speaker+ wire with the mic+ wire.

Reference

Of course it won't withstand the beating a real PTT will take, but then again, you won't need it to either. Remember, it's airsoft. You're not dragging it through hell and back and then under 50 feet of water like some Navy SEAL or anything.
Please, I insist.
Prophet
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Cloudyrains » Thu May 10, 2012 9:43 pm

Its funny to think that that could be accomplished by a simple 1/4inch TRS plug, and be compatible with many, many things. Silly proprietary things :P
Cloudyrains
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Android » Sun May 13, 2012 2:41 pm

I stopped by Prophet's place today & he showed me how to rewire knockoff PTT's. All you need to do is swap wires between the #2 and #3 ports (which is conveniently labeled) and now your PTT's work with real-steel headsets.
"It's nothing to worry about. It's just a fire on my head."
Android
Specops
Specops

Postby Ash » Sun May 13, 2012 3:58 pm

Nice! Thanks prophet and andriod this is the best info I read on AP in a long time!

"Jesus wept and it's no wonder why"
Ash
Specops
Specops

Team: SOTA

Postby STRIK3 » Sun May 13, 2012 8:30 pm

Android wrote:I stopped by Prophet's place today & he showed me how to rewire knockoff PTT's. All you need to do is swap wires between the #2 and #3 ports (which is conveniently labeled) and now your PTT's work with real-steel headsets.

Show me sometime?
ISAF-C, The 144, Rushing Russians OR/Willamette Valley KВДВ

http://www.facebook.com/ExecutiveRiskControlServices
STRIK3
Ranger
Ranger

Team: RR KBAB

Postby Prophet » Sun May 13, 2012 10:50 pm

STRIK3 wrote:
Android wrote:I stopped by Prophet's place today & he showed me how to rewire knockoff PTT's. All you need to do is swap wires between the #2 and #3 ports (which is conveniently labeled) and now your PTT's work with real-steel headsets.

Show me sometime?

Come to my place phony pony and I'll show you how to rewire a PTT. Of course, you need a real steel headset first ;)
Please, I insist.
Prophet
Ranger
Ranger

Postby STRIK3 » Sun May 13, 2012 11:43 pm

How about a fake real one? You live so far awayyyyyyy
ISAF-C, The 144, Rushing Russians OR/Willamette Valley KВДВ

http://www.facebook.com/ExecutiveRiskControlServices
STRIK3
Ranger