Sordin Compatible PTT

Radios and communication related equipment.

Re: Sordin Compatible PTT

Postby dos_Santos » Tue May 15, 2012 3:34 pm

I just did this mod today for Ash. Before and after photo. Swapped wires at #2 and #3 terminal on the Emerson PTT.

photo[2].JPG
Before: #2 wire Red; #3 wire White
photo[2].JPG (139.11 KiB) Viewed 7914 times

photo[4].JPG
After: #2 wire White; #3 wire Red
photo[4].JPG (61.1 KiB) Viewed 7914 times
I do hope that after all this discreditable shuffling we may be taken into action. It has a wonderful way of reconciling a man with himself: and with everybody else, sometimes. - 1st Lt. James Dillon
dos_Santos
Ranger
Ranger

Team: N/A

Postby Android » Tue May 15, 2012 4:24 pm

Thanks for the pics, Dos Santos. This should clarify what Prophet & I did with our PTT's.

As mentioned earlier the realsteel headset microphones are still low impedance so you'll have to talk loudly (and have your teammates have their volumes up) to be heard. Some day I'll try chopping up my knockoff Comtac microphones & try replacing them with high-impedance ones.
"It's nothing to worry about. It's just a fire on my head."
Android
Specops
Specops

Postby Prophet » Tue May 15, 2012 5:30 pm

Android wrote:As mentioned earlier the realsteel headset microphones are still low impedance so you'll have to talk loudly (and have your teammates have their volumes up) to be heard. Some day I'll try chopping up my knockoff Comtac microphones & try replacing them with high-impedance ones.

As a side not for this;

This is only slightly true for the Sordins. They are quieter, but only slightly compared to a standard radio microphone. COMTAC's are apparently much worse though as you mentioned.

Also, I will be getting a hold of multiple low-impedance-to-high-impadence transformers in the near future to try and find one(s) that will fit and work with various PTT styles (specifically the U94 since it seems that everyone has one of those nowadays) and see if that will remedy the problem completely. I'll post my results after said tests are done.
Please, I insist.
Prophet
Ranger
Ranger

Postby vibora » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:45 am

I know it's a necro, but I figured that it was still fairly relevant, and I don't feel like taking all that energy to start a new thread.

I just acquired a real deal Comtac II headset (dual-comm version if it matters), and I couldn't get the thing to work with any of my clone PTT's, but now I know why and will be ripping my PTT apart to rewire it. Have any of you guys used this modification with a Motorola 1-pin? The PJ that gave me the headset told me that the most likely reason I couldn't get them to work with my PTT was because of the lack of a separate headphone and mic jacks on the 1-pin setup. However, when I was trying it, my buddy on another radio could hear me fine, but my mic was always keyed on and I couldn't get any transmission back. Might this be just an issue with the PPT, the radio, or both?
"Where are you going?"
"I am leaving.....you are about to explode." -Teal'c
vibora
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Android » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:15 am

I did the mod on a Motorola single pin & a Kenwood dual-pin. Switching the #2 & #3 wire should do the trick. As Prophet & I noticed the Comtac mics are really quiet due to being low impedance, so have your teammates ten up the volume on their radios & ou'll have to speak loudly.
Android
Specops
Specops

Postby vibora » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:52 pm

Thanks for the help. Everything works, even the volume on the mic. Don't know what makes mine so special, but my buddy even had to turn down the volume on his Bowman headset because my mic was so loud. Does anybody want a video on how to do this? If I can find the time, I would be happy to post something up on Youtube. It only took me literally 20 seconds to unsolder and resolder the connections, and you only have to switch those two wires.

I will say, it was a lot less confusing on the U94 model PTT than the other one I had (http://www.strykeairsoft.com/shop/image ... 33x550.jpg) You had to work around a circuit board and everything, and from what I could see, it wasn't wired quite the same. I would be interested to see someone mod one of those.
"Where are you going?"
"I am leaving.....you are about to explode." -Teal'c
vibora
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mac » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:50 am

Hi,

I'm probably gonna be doing this mod to the TCI PTT replica soon - has anyone had any experience with rewiring those?

Is it the same, as with the U94 type?
Mac
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Android » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:12 pm

Pretty much.
Android
Specops
Specops

Postby savlis » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:03 am

Hello guys, greetings from the heart of Europe.

Please, did you somebody solved the impendance problem with PTT for real Sordins?

I have real military MSA Sordin headset with low-imp mic and Nexus U93A/U connector with bold plastic ending (not the thinner TP-120 as on chinese replicas are) and a Quansheng TG-UV2 radio with Kenwood 2-pin standard.

Of course, no chinese PTT will work because of impendance of the mic.

I have found a special PTTs in Hong-Kong, which will accomodate bold U93A/U for great $25 (they are really different than other chinese replicas, their Peltor style model has a bigger hole to fit this bold plastic ending of U93A/U), they are writing that this PTTs are for real headsets and will not work with replicas, but if i asked, they answered me that this PTT will be little bit (and nobody knows what chinese "little bit" really means) quiet with real MSA Sordin.

So, maybe there´s a way to mod or change electronics inside this PTT, or have you other solution, which will not cost 200 bucks?

Thank you very much, looking forward for your reply,

Martin.
savlis
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Android » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:47 am

My guess is that they're wiring the PTT's the same way the Chinese knockoff ones are. Try doing the mod we mentioned in this thread & see if it improves your broadcasting volume.
Android
Specops
Specops

Postby dos_Santos » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:27 am

There is a guy on eBay doing impedance mod's. Not sure if this is the same thing.
I do hope that after all this discreditable shuffling we may be taken into action. It has a wonderful way of reconciling a man with himself: and with everybody else, sometimes. - 1st Lt. James Dillon
dos_Santos
Ranger
Ranger

Postby mutantmedic » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:16 pm

I have real Sordin headset and a real U94 PTT but its a two ICOM and I need it to be a Motorola 2 pin. Can I just remove the ICOM wire and replace with a Motorola 2 pin wire?
mutantmedic
Recruit
Recruit

Previous

Return to Comms