Comms training and drills

Radios and communication related equipment.

Comms training and drills

Postby Twigg » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:06 pm

I've ben workin hard to try and organize my squads communication, but my members are vary stupid. I've got every thing my squad needs to practice. ( a place to go, comms, headsets, ect...) there is about 6-8 of us every time we go out and practice. Any ideas of how to improve our communication? We know the bassics but want to take it to the next level. Drills, practice raids or whatever worked best for you and your squad. It's like herding sheep I swear that's how incompitent my squad can be. plz let me know.
Twigg
Grunt
Grunt

Team: RNDM

Re: Comms training and drills

Postby Jester316 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:40 pm

Comms are ridiculously simple if you know how to properly use them.

Remember the following:

"Hey, Joe. It's Bob."

That is how you properly start a conversation.

When giving directions/locations, don't say "I'm by the tree with the leaves". Be precise. Use distinctive land features.

Don't hot mic. Make sure your PTT is out of the way of you shouldering your rifle. We all know what an airsoft gun sounds like, we don't need to hear yours.

Don't use VOX. We don't need to hear you panting as you walk up the hill.

Don't use the call button. People will hunt you down and mutilate you for using the call button.

Push the PTT and count to 2 before you speak. It takes a couple seconds for the circuits to engage and open the channel.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Farmer » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:07 pm

Don't yell in the mic, it hurts your buddy's ear's.

Stay calm, annuciate (sp?) pronounce every word precisly, as a poorly pronounced word tends to get ignored which can lead to your death.

Don't use "slang" terms. Not everyone who may be listening understands the way you and your buddies act toward each other.
Farmer

Its a game....have fun or find something you do have fun at
Farmer
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Postby DJ » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:19 pm

Keep it short, concise and essential. Too many think a comm net is a personal chat room. Usually when you need it most the comms are tied up by someone's editorial comments.
Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent,
and discerning if he holds his tongue.
DJ
Specops
Specops

Postby Hamster » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:26 pm

DJ wrote:Keep it short, concise and essential. Too many think a comm net is a personal chat room. Usually when you need it most the comms are tied up by someone's editorial comments.

To add on, from what I get told to do is when saying something long, add "break" periodically and give the person you're talking to time to understand what you're saying, or if they're writing stuff down, give them time to write.

iguanas/giraffes
Hamster
Ranger
Ranger

Postby DJ » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:02 pm

probably more important than saying break is just take your time. count " one thousand one" when you key your mike to avoid cutting off your self...pretty common under stress
Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent,
and discerning if he holds his tongue.
DJ
Specops
Specops

Postby Jester316 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:21 pm

DJ wrote:probably more important than saying break is just take your time. count " one thousand one" when you key your mike to avoid cutting off your self...pretty common under stress

This x10000. It pisses me off at work when our dispatchers cut themselves off, and then get pissy when no one answers them.

I usually even count to 2 before talking just for that little extra insurance.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Postby McNair » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:06 pm

Jester316 wrote:
DJ wrote:probably more important than saying break is just take your time. count " one thousand one" when you key your mike to avoid cutting off your self...pretty common under stress

This x10000. It pisses me off at work when our dispatchers cut themselves off, and then get pissy when no one answers them.

I usually even count to 2 before talking just for that little extra insurance.

Yeah. Learned this while working with nextel and verizon two way radios everyday. The dispatchers would always come across already like half way through what they were saying.
McNair

Postby Junto » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:14 pm

Don't try and whisper, either. It just comes out sounding like static on the other end. If you are in a situation that requires you to whisper, you probably shouldn't have hit the talk button.
Junto

Team: DRAT

Postby Jester316 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:16 pm

Jester's Comms training drill:

1) Give a guy a radio and tell him to go hide in the woods.

2) Use radios to find him both coordinating with your squad, and with the person you are looking for.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Postby Twigg » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:01 pm

Jester316 wrote:Jester's Comms training drill:

1) Give a guy a radio and tell him to go hide in the woods.

2) Use radios to find him both coordinating with your squad, and with the person you are looking for.

thx dude ur the first to reply wit actuall training ideas. That sounds fun and sounds like a good way to learn teamwork. We know the bassics of how to use our coms but want to improve teamwork and comms through training
Twigg
Grunt
Grunt

Team: RNDM

Postby Jester316 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:29 pm

Comms are simple. People tend to over think them.

Just remember "hey you, it's me". Always call the other person first, than say who you are. You DO NOT need to say "BREAK, OVER, END,..." at the end of your transmission. When you are done talking, stop talking and listen. When you key up (key up = start talking) count to 2 THAN SPEAK. It takes a moment for the circuits to engage and speakers to energize. Don't cut yourself off. If you have emergency traffic (generally reserved for actual emergencies in airsoft, such as a broken leg, or someone dead) than preface your message with "EMERGENCY TRAFFIC".

EX: "EMERGENCY TRAFFIC. ADMINS, ADMINS, ADMINS, THIS IS JESTER. POSSIBLE BROKEN LEG AT THE LOG FORT ON THE NORTH SIDE OF THE VILLAGE. 15 YEAR OLD MALE WEARING ALPENFLAUGE."

Now, that message demonstrates numerous good radio techniques. It identifies this message as critical. You address the recipient first and enough times that any admin should be caught on by now, and then indicate who is speaking. You give no bullshit details that make finding and identifying the person incredibly easy. One of the worst things people do in airsoft is call "for help by that one tree". Guess what? We play in a FOREST! There are tons and tons of trees. Give an exact location if known, or compass directions from something that is easily identified (from the example, at SniperzDen everyone knows what log fort north of the village I am talking about).

If you are using bubble pack radios, make sure you do a couple of things: 1)Find the call button. Got it? Are you sure? Take a knife and cut it off. You don't need it. If you use it, you will be hunted down and your radio taken. 2) Find you manual. Got it? Are you sure? Read it and turn of the "ROGER BEEP". You don't need it. If you use it, you will be hunted down and your radio taken. There is a reason that professional radios don't have those features. They are unneeded and only serve to get people to turn off their radio in frustration.

One other thing. If you are at an event with strict comm plans (such as odd channels for Team A, and even for team B, with channels 1-3 being admin), don't futz around on the main team channels. Those are for team organization (and I'm very guilty of trying to run a squad on a team channel). Find an unused channel (that is still dedicated to your side), and use that.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Return to Comms