Any good radios for semi cheap?

Radios and communication related equipment.

Any good radios for semi cheap?

Postby Geartaccatz » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:06 pm

I am some what new to field play on large fields. I tend to play semi small fields like enough to sprint to relay info. I found a couple large fields recently and have wanted to try them but i got there the other day and there was no way i was sprinting up hill to relay info. So is there any decent coms rigs i could get for a decent price without buying some piece of s**t that only reaches like 5 yards. By the way I'm not realy interested in used stuff. Bad history with buying used gear. If you have a link to something that would be much appreciated.
Geartaccatz
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Re: Any good radios for semi cheap?

Postby McNair » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:00 pm

Baofeng.
McNair

Postby Rentax » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:08 pm

We do what we want
Rentax

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Cyclops » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:09 pm

I like the UV82. Same as the R but has a few more functions that the 5 doesn't have. Amazon it goes between $35 to $40 with free shipping.
Cyclops
Ranger
Ranger

Team: F.O.A.D

Postby Pacman » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:25 pm

Just keep in mind the FCC regulates the FRS/GMRS services and utilizing one of these is not legal by their definition of equipment and power designed to be used on those freqs let alone licensing for the GMRS side. Use at your own risk. :D
2010 AP player of the year
Pacman
Specops
Specops

Postby Cruz FoxHound » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:02 am

This is what I'm using at the moment with good results:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Midland-X-tra ... e/11015294

I don't know how the Midland set compares to the Baofeng but my spotter & I are satisfied so far.
* Calling hits is the cornerstone of the game * Leaders live by example * Play with HONOR *
Cruz FoxHound
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cyclops » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:05 am

Team FOAD was using the midlands and we had a lot of trouble reaching from one end of sniperzden to the other. That's why we changed to the UV82's.
Cyclops
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Cruz FoxHound » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:24 am

Cyclops wrote:Team FOAD was using the midlands and we had a lot of trouble reaching from one end of sniperzden to the other. That's why we changed to the UV82's.

I'm about to rock them out at Sniperzden next month :x I swear I'll use my return policy if I have to!
* Calling hits is the cornerstone of the game * Leaders live by example * Play with HONOR *
Cruz FoxHound
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ClownBaby » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:21 am

Cyclops, were you guys using the GXT-1050?
Cuz that's what I use, and have gotten a few miles outta them. From inside Clackamas town center, out to Gladstone. About 3.4 miles, with a bunch of crap in between.
Willing to bet they'll do more, cuz I always run them on the low battery feature.

Something good about them too, (and IDK if most radios have this or not) but in the instruction book it shows you what channels you can use without a permit, which is about half. (50 channel radio) That's why I'm usually on like channel 22.

As far as enforcement goes, if you don't cuz, or play music, you probably won't go to federal prison. I hear kids screwing around on the low channels all the time.
And where we typically use them, (woods vs city) I really don't think they care. Sure they'd have done somebody by now.

Although, I did just have the thought about using them at Action Acres. Wondering about cross contaminationwith the air traffic?

These also have whisper mode, do they have that on the fangs?
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby Cyclops » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:15 am

We all had the GTX1000. We found that others would hack into our channel making animal noises and stuff so we got fed up with it and went with the fangs. You do have to watch what channel your on. I like to listen to the police scanners on mine. At one of the games I forgot to change it and started my radio testing. They were cool about it but asked that I change it. They're still new to us so I'm not 100% sure of what they all do but I know they do a lot. I can save 128 channels which is over kill but hey it would be harder for someone to hack on your freq.......
Cyclops
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Geartaccatz » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:40 am

Thanks for the info.
Geartaccatz
Grunt
Grunt

Postby ClownBaby » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:16 pm

If you're talking about the animal nooses that the radio can make, that is user error.

The transmit button is on the side, but theirs a button on the front that says CALL. It's for sending a set (meaning whatever animal noise you pick) group call. It's like a personalized ringtone, and that's what noobs push, even if you show them where the transmit button is.

Under stress, they derp.
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby Cyclops » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:27 pm

Oh had no idea. Anyways tho we had trouble with static cut out transmissions all around almost every game. We were at the 3 log forts down in the gully by the sand bags and command was on the other side of the city. The guys on our team that had the Baofangs could here but like 10 of our guys using the midlands couldn't receive nor send. So we had to keep the Bofang guys with us.
Cyclops
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Cruz FoxHound » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:05 pm

Cruz FoxHound wrote:
Cyclops wrote:Team FOAD was using the midlands and we had a lot of trouble reaching from one end of sniperzden to the other. That's why we changed to the UV82's.

I'm about to rock them out at Sniperzden next month :x I swear I'll use my return policy if I have to!

After using the Midland radio set at Sniperzden, I have decided to return the pair. Our comms was about 80% useless while in the field -- Sniperzden is too dense & hilly for the Midlands. Most of the time I could hear command but could not respond, some of the time I could somewhat respond with poor connection, there were a few calls that worked perfectly. It was extremely frustrating attempting to communicate important intel & being radio impotent :doubt:

I will be purchasing either the Baofeng UV-82 or BF-F8HP!
Cruz FoxHound
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cyclops » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:26 pm

Cyclops
Ranger
Ranger

Next

Return to Comms