Baofeng UV-82 Question

Radios and communication related equipment.

Baofeng UV-82 Question

Postby Santange11 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:17 pm

I am looking to get a low cost radio for the upcoming OP Snake Eater and the Baofeng UV-82 looks very promising, mainly because its not a pair. My question is do I need a licence to use this radio? I understand its capable of doing things the require a licence, but if I don't use those features do can I still use it legally? If this wont work what is a good alternative?

Thanks for the help,
Santange11
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Re: Baofeng UV-82 Question

Postby Action Figures LLC » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:44 am

Yes, legally the radio requires a licence due to the amount of power it transmits. That being said, 99% of the users out there don't bother to get it. The HAM guys shouldn't bother you as long as you stay on the right frequencies. I personally don't see much difference with transmitting on low and high power as long as you are staying on the public channels. But yes, you do need a basic licence to legally use them. You might look into contacting your local HAM club and have them help you get the licence. I hear that it's relatively hassle free and the test isn't hard. Might be worth doing.
Action Figures LLC
Grunt
Grunt

Postby McNair » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:02 am

Yeah, as the above said, it technically requires a license. But so does using GMRS.
However, as above mentioned, you don't shazaam with certain freqs, you'll be fine. Also, since you'll most likely just be using FRS/GMRS channels, its not an issue at all.
There are some people that will huff and puff, but really no one gives a shazaam.
McNair

Postby ClownBaby » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:09 am

Don't let friends/little brothers mess with it at home.

In fact, if you only use it at games, you won't have a problem. They'd have to arrest/fine us all.
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby ClownBaby » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:11 am

Frickin cellphone double post
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby Santange11 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:35 am

This being would it be better to just fork up a little more money and get a Motorola Talkabout ( or something similar) that is simpler and easier to use since I am such a novice at radios?
Santange11
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Cyclops » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:17 am

No you don't need a license to run the radio. You can program the radios to certain channels and you'll be fine. Our team uses these and they are great! HOW EVER if you use other certain channels then yes you can get in big trouble. Not a toy to let anyone play with tho. Keep in mind that most of the set ups for the radio does not come with the cable to program it. So the answer to your question is no you don't need a license to use this radio ( ON CERTAIN CHANNELS).
Cyclops
Ranger
Ranger

Team: F.O.A.D

Postby Jester316 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:04 am

Cyclops wrote:No you don't need a license to run the radio. You can program the radios to certain channels and you'll be fine. Our team uses these and they are great! HOW EVER if you use other certain channels then yes you can get in big trouble. Not a toy to let anyone play with tho. Keep in mind that most of the set ups for the radio does not come with the cable to program it. So the answer to your question is no you don't need a license to use this radio ( ON CERTAIN CHANNELS).

The only channels you can LEGALLY use these radios on without a license is the MURS channels.

They are over the legal power limit for FRS.
GMRS technically requires a license.
HAM bands require HAM license.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Action Figures LLC » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:18 am

It's not the channel you're using that makes it need a licence, it's the output of the radio. On it's lowest setting, it's still too strong to use without a licence. It transmits too far.
Action Figures LLC
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Jester316 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:25 am

Action Figures LLC wrote:It's not the channel you're using that makes it need a licence, it's the output of the radio. On it's lowest setting, it's still too strong to use without a licence. It transmits too far.

Not trying to be a tool, but this is wrong.

It is absolutely about what channels you are transmitting on. Some channels have certain rules. Others do not. The power rule is correct (that some channels have power output restrictions), however it's channel specific, and NOT blanketed to the radio.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Postby Action Figures LLC » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:35 pm

Let me rephrase my intent. Even if you stay on the civilian channels, the radio is too powerful, even on it's lowest setting.
Action Figures LLC
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Santange11 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:44 pm

So it sounds like I just need to get a set of Motorola radiosto avoid any complications. Airsoft will be its main use, but I would like to use them for other things.
Santange11
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Jester316 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:16 am

Action Figures LLC wrote:Let me rephrase my intent. Even if you stay on the civilian channels, the radio is too powerful, even on it's lowest setting.

Again, it all depends on the specific frequencies you transmit on. You say "civilian channels". Do you mean FRS, GMRS, MURS, 2M, 70CM? Of those, only certain frequencies in the 70cm band have power restrictions that would make this radio illegal to use.

Now, of those I listed (which are the ones that radio will be able to broadcast on), only FRS has a low enough maximum limit as to make this radio illegal to use on it (and a removable antenna knocks it out of the game for FRS as well legally). FRS is limited to no more than .5W (and the lowest the UV-82 does is 1W).

GMRS is limited to 2W maximum power output for portables. Which if using the lowest power rating, the radio is perfectly legal to use on GMRS if the operator is licensed to operator on those channels.

MURS channels are in the 2M band and are limited to 2W maximum power. So again, at it's lowest setting, it's perfectly legal to use, and MURS channels do not require licensing.

So please, do a little more research before spreading false information.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Postby Action Figures LLC » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:31 pm

I bow to the superior knowledge. But no reason to be a tool.
Action Figures LLC
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Jester316 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:34 pm

Action Figures LLC wrote:I bow to the superior knowledge. But no reason to be a tool.

Like I said at the beginning, I'm not trying to be a tool. I just want to make the most appropriate information is being relayed to people when it comes to legal matters. I'm running on very little sleep, and do see how my responses could be dickish, and for that I am sorry.

As repayment for my rudeness, I give you boobs:

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Next

Return to Comms