KWA MP9 Fixes and Modifications

Discussion of GBB (gas blowback) replicas.

KWA MP9 Fixes and Modifications

Postby DrunkenBagpiper » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:00 am

I’ve been a long time reader of the forums here, but have never posted, mostly because I didn’t think I had anything very useful to post. However, my somewhat troublesome but totally fun KWA MP9 has caused me to search for some simple, but useful fixes and modifications that I figured might come in handy to other KWA MP9 owners.

The PDF linked below contains a work-in-progress report of the various modifications that I have applied to my KWA KMP9. So far, the file addresses the following problems:

1. The bolt catch scratching the side of the bolt.

2. The cylinder return springs falling off the cylinder, resulting in “chewed up” return springs.

3. The bolt failing to move completely forward into battery, often preventing firing of the shot.

4. Gas jetting out of the back of the gun directly into your eye upon each shot.

Enjoy! Please save to your computer to reduce bandwidth usage!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C_vsQA ... sp=sharing

Please feel free to leave constructive feedback. If there is a fix/modification that you would like to see in this guide, please let it be known here! I will continue to update this file as time goes on and I will edit this post to notify of any changes or additions to the document.

12/2/2020- Updated link to file.
Last edited by DrunkenBagpiper on Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
DrunkenBagpiper
Recruit
Recruit

Team: N/A

Postby Beran » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:31 pm

awesome writeup, im going to try some of these out on my MP9 tonight. the fix for gas blowing back into your face is at the top of my list, i hate that.
Let your plans be as dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
Beran

Team: APST

Postby DrunkenBagpiper » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:59 pm

Yeah, it drove me nuts... reminded me of going to the optometrist. Let me know how it goes!
DrunkenBagpiper
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Beran » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:47 pm

well, it no longer shoots gas into my eyes. i couldn't find my correct sized punch, so i didn't remove the pins to get to the cylinder. is the bolt scratching anything other than a cosmetic issue? mine doesn't seem to be scored hardly at all, and ive done a fair bit of shooting with it already. once i find a punch or suitable alternative i plan on fixing the cylinder return springs, but i haven't had any out of battery problems yet and the disconnect spring looks fine.

eventually i want to find a way to retrofit my old KSC TMP magazines to work with this one, i think i might be able to do it if i can get KWA to send me some of the seals from the MP9 magazines. the TMP mags lock in, but the bolt wont close and the valve is different, although i think those are both relatively easily overcome with the right spare parts and some creative modifications.

im not sure how long the little bit of tape in the charging handle is going to last though, it doesn't seem like its secured in there terribly well. i might see if some kind of thin adhesive foam would stick in there better.
Let your plans be as dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
Beran

Team: APST

Postby DrunkenBagpiper » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:20 am

How long of a piece of tape did you stick in the charging handle? The piece of tape that I stuck in mine was probably about an inch or so long such that it has a lot of surface area for sticking to the charging handle. Also, high quality electrical tape will stick WAY better than cheaper stuff. Maybe even try some 3M surgical tape...that stuff really sticks well. Some foam sounds like a pretty good idea.

Depending on the gun, the bolt scratching can vary quite a bit. My mp9 was one of the earlier ones, so the scratching was pretty heavy and deposited a bunch of little metal grains all over the internals. Some guns even produce little curly-q's of metal shavings. This is where I am concerned about extra wear on the gun; you don't want this junk getting in the rails and whatnot. However, KWA is well aware of the problem, so they may have addressed this problem by now.

I've never handled the KSC TMP or its mags before, but that'd be neat to see a conversion for the mags. If you get the chance, you should post pictures showing the differences between the two.
DrunkenBagpiper
Recruit
Recruit

Re: KWA MP9 Fixes and Modifications

Postby josemadero » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:24 am

Im buying a kea mp7 in 2017. Do you think i still need to make this modifications or maybe kea fixed already the issue?
josemadero
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Grounded » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:43 am

Not sure you'll get much replies bro.
Grounded
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Rentax » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:14 pm

My guess is they didn't fix anything. Yes it's been 6 years, but in general if the gun fires out of the box, the company isn't going to spend time making modifications to their own designs. They had prototypes that they put through the ringers long before that gun hit the open market, and they knew exactly what they were selling.
My guess is in time you will need to do most of those mods. HOWEVER, you should but the gun shoot it, play with it and watch for signs of wear, if you never see any, then KWA fixed their product. if you start seeing wear then preemptively do the repair and save yourself the headache latter.
We do what we want
Rentax

Team: SpecDet1

Return to Gas Pistols & SMGs