Switching to Propane

Discussion of GBB (gas blowback) replicas.

Switching to Propane

Postby Jmonday » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:01 pm

I've recently joined the band-wagon on propane. Green Gas is too expensive, and it's hard to get it shipped to my location. But I was chatting with some people on another board about propane, and that it can wear your gun down faster than Green Gas (saying I get a Al pump for the propane) I'll never have to worry about putting silcon lube into the propane every 5-10 mags. But, correct me if I'm wrong, propane is the same chemical structure as Green Gas, the only difference is that it's pre-lubed, and propane has a chemical additive to make it smell funny.

Anyways, here are a few questions..

-Does propane wear your gun down more than Green Gas (saying that you do proper maintenance and make sure you put the proper amount of lube into the tank)
-Using propane voids the warranty of guns (i.e KWA, G&G, Echo1, Classic Army, etc...)
-Propane has higher velocity than regular Green Gas
-Propane is bad for the environment

These 4 questions will solve all my problems, and keep me quiet for the next month. Please, give me your opinion on the issue. :p

Lets have a war why propane is better than Green Gas, and vice versa.
Jmonday
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Re: Switching to Propane

Postby Rentax » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:46 pm

Propane and Green gas are approximately the same gas compound. Yes green gas is pre-lubed, where as propane come with that pleasant smell.
You will not see any difference in the effects on your replica if you do proper maintenance. If you maintain your replica and lube it up properly the added lubricant in the green gas wasn't doing much anyway (except maybe getting onto the inside of your hop-up, which is not really a good thing).
As for voiding the warranty, you would have to actually read the warranty for the replica. It does void the KWA warranty, I have just read it and it states
KWA wrote:or non approved propellants (ie. Propane, red gas, 134a... etc.)
and I would assume most companies have the same verbiage in their warranties.
Because propane and green gas have virtually the same gas compound the velocity is going to be approximately the same.
We are going to need to define what you mean by "bad for the environment" here, but essentially NO propane is not bad for the environment.
Wikipedia wrote:Propane is commonly used as a fuel for engines, oxy-gas torches, barbecues, portable stoves, and residential central heating
If it was that bad for the environment so many Americans would not be allowed to use it in their BBQs. However that being said it IS a byproduct of natural gas processing and petroleum refining, so take from that what you will.

Here is a video I found on (by using a search engine I like to call GOOGLE) from a pretty reliable source on the topic.
We do what we want
Rentax

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Ironmonkie » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:16 pm

I've been using propane in my gas blow back guns for years, and the only problem I have ever had was from winers. You know them, they're the punks that complain all the time, about anything. I had one brat complain about me running propane at the indoor field, he thought it was a fire hazard. The guy who owned the field laughed at him and told that it was the same as green gas, and to stop complaining. I couldn't stop laughing! :lol:
[url]youtube.com/tunerguy82[/url]
Active duty US Navy
Ironmonkie
Grunt
Grunt

Postby McNair » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:16 pm

whiners. ;)
McNair

Postby Airsoftee » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:34 pm

I'm not that knowledgeable about airsoft, and Rentax seems to have covered most of the questions you ask.
One thing that I would like like to note however is that propane has a slightly higher PSI, and so will put the slightest bit more stress on your weapon.

Thank you,
Airsoftee
Who's there? Oh, just me.

But you should know, I never travel alone…
Airsoftee
Grunt
Grunt

Postby SA12 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:24 pm

While there could be a variation between brands, when I did a FPS test between KWA Green Gas and Coleman Propane the FPS was the same.

I've noticed that with Propane there is a black residue left behind which I've also found within the propane adapter as well. I haven't experienced this residue when utilizing Green Gas. The level of residue in the adapter and gun seem to vary from can to can, which I'd assume means some type of chemical inconsistency between cans.

Everyone says Propane and Green gas are the same, just without the ethyl mercaptan and with silicone added. Though no one really knows for sure if there are any other additives or what (if any) complications the ethyl mercaptan can cause. The only test done to my understanding was funded/conducted by the same company who's selling propane adapters.

In the end, other than the black residue I haven't experienced any issues while utilizing Propane. If you decide to utilize Propane, ensure that you're upholding the maintenance on your gun.
SA12
Soldier
Soldier

Team: SOTA

Postby Ironmonkie » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:42 am

McNair wrote:whiners. ;)

Meh, close enough.
Active duty US Navy
Ironmonkie
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Rentax » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:36 pm

Ironmonkie wrote:

Meh, close enough.

If my BB is "close enough" to hit you do you call your out? Or is it important that I get it right before you call your hit?
Do you see how close enough isn't always good enough? English is not a close enough sport, it's not horse shoes or hand grenades. You will only score points by actually getting it right.
We do what we want
Rentax

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Ironmonkie » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:29 pm

Rentax wrote:
Ironmonkie wrote:

Meh, close enough.

If my BB is "close enough" to hit you do you call your out? Or is it important that I get it right before you call your hit?
Do you see how close enough isn't always good enough? English is not a close enough sport, it's not horse shoes or hand grenades. You will only score points by actually getting it right.

I was talking about the spelling of "whiners". I'm not very good at spelling, even though I'm in my early 30s. :oops:
Active duty US Navy
Ironmonkie
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Jmonday » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:27 pm

Two 30 somethings arguing over spelling.. On AP. Oh how I love AP.. :roll:
Jmonday
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Ironmonkie » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:25 am

Jmonday wrote:Two 30 somethings arguing over spelling.. On AP. Oh how I love AP.. :roll:

You think this is bad, you should see Jbody.org!
Active duty US Navy
Ironmonkie
Grunt
Grunt

Return to Gas Pistols & SMGs