Your Sidearm

Discussion of GBB (gas blowback) replicas.

Re: Your Sidearm

Postby ogrejager » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:38 pm

Rentax wrote:All this being said, I usually run a TM Mk23 as my primary weapon. From time to time I have an M4 strapped to my back for SHTF scenarios. But often times it gets ditched because of it weight and lack of maneuverability.

This is the most awesome quote. Such true Rentax.

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Team: SpecDet1

Postby T-Time » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:44 am

ClownBaby wrote:T- Time, I'm assuming that you are a smallish person due to your age. You may wanna look at the KWA ATP, it is a little narrower at the top of the grip, allowing for a better pinch.
If you want a Glock, get a Glock.

I'm liking this thread also, gettin a lotta smiles and little chuckles outta me.

For when shit hits fan, got it. Wait, that's like half my day! LOL
Rentax, is one of your favorite video games Splinter Cell by chance? :D

Steve's right about the tracer unit, much easier to see indoors, (TAC-OPS is pretty dark) and it works better than hittin' a 13yr old in the face with 350lumens, they don't like that. :lol:

"Why train when the equipment does the work for you." LOL FOREVER and ever.
That may have been the funniest thing you've ever written. So true, lol.

Reascr, I'm gonna give you the same advice as T-Time, except in reverse. Those two pistols are great guns, I've personally been eyeballing both. (I have the FNX real steel, and been contemplating gettin the CZ) But let me ask you this, are you a taller person? Because those two guns definitely fit a larger hand better.
If you can't play with the airsoft version before you buy one, any real gun shop should have both in real steel to paw on.

And yeah, pistols and magazines go bye-bye all the time. (particularly in the woods, where you never find em) Couldn't a lot of that be solved by running chest holsters?

You would be pretty surprised with how tall I am, but hey thanks for the advice. I will for sure look into KWA pistols. They seem like very good reliable pistols.
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
George S. Patton
T-Time
Grunt
Grunt

Team: Airsoft

Postby Solid » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:31 pm

KWA doesn't mess around with their gas pistols. WE has gotten their act together recently too and are pretty affordable if you can't find what you are after with KWA.
Solid

Team: DRAT

Postby Reascr » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:23 pm

ClownBaby wrote:T- Time, I'm assuming that you are a smallish person due to your age. You may wanna look at the KWA ATP, it is a little narrower at the top of the grip, allowing for a better pinch.

I'm liking this thread also, gettin a lotta smiles and little chuckles outta me.

Steve's right about the tracer unit, much easier to see indoors, (TAC-OPS is pretty dark) and it works better than hittin' a 13yr old in the face with 350lumens, they don't like that. :lol:

Reascr, I'm gonna give you the same advice as T-Time, except in reverse. Those two pistols are great guns, I've personally been eyeballing both. (I have the FNX real steel, and been contemplating gettin the CZ) But let me ask you this, are you a taller person? Because those two guns definitely fit a larger hand better.
If you can't play with the airsoft version before you buy one, any real gun shop should have both in real steel to paw on.

And yeah, pistols and magazines go bye-bye all the time. (particularly in the woods, where you never find em) Couldn't a lot of that be solved by running chest holsters?

I'm just slightly under 6"1' so I think the P09 and FNX will be fine on me. When it comes to guns I generally have found that I'm large enough to fit anything I've come across well
Invest in rich people.-Cai, 2014
Reascr
Grunt
Grunt

Team: RTPS

Postby Nark » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:44 am

Reascr wrote:

I'm just slightly under 6"1' so I think the P09 and FNX will be fine on me. When it comes to guns I generally have found that I'm large enough to fit anything I've come across well

One thing to note, if you get super unique pistols you have to have enough mags for it. You won't be able to mooch mags from your buddy after your main has gone down and you're on your last pistol mag so screaming "PISTOL MAG RANDY" isn't gonna work too well.
Nark wrote:This is gonna sound dickish but whatever I'll be that guy...
Nark
Ranger
Ranger

Team: N/A

Postby Steve » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:19 am

Random aside: Is there a community-accepted standard for the number of mags to carry with a secondary? I've always carried one in the weapon and 4 spares, but that was driven by what I was issued when I was playing army. Until this very moment I never bothered to question the logic, I just always picked up 4 spares when I bought a new secondary. So, what does everyone else carry?

Also, from personal experience, I run Blackhawk SERPA holsters pretty much exclusively in airsoft. I've heard plenty of stories of soft holsters either dumping the gun or dropping the mag. Heard good things about the Safariland hard-shelled holsters, but haven't tried them myself.
This Week In Airsoft wrote:This Week in Airsoft stands behind its statement... The internet and YouTube can be your teacher.

Steve

Postby Solid » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:57 am

Steve wrote:Random aside: Is there a community-accepted standard for the number of mags to carry with a secondary? I've always carried one in the weapon and 4 spares, but that was driven by what I was issued when I was playing army. Until this very moment I never bothered to question the logic, I just always picked up 4 spares when I bought a new secondary. So, what does everyone else carry?

Also, from personal experience, I run Blackhawk SERPA holsters pretty much exclusively in airsoft. I've heard plenty of stories of soft holsters either dumping the gun or dropping the mag. Heard good things about the Safariland hard-shelled holsters, but haven't tried them myself.

I've ran with soft shelled holsters for years and it dumps them for 1911's but haven't had it happen for anything else I've used (M9, 228, gas revolvers.) Never had the full thing fall out but it definitely would if you didn't use the little restraining strap over the top. Even during deployment I ran with a soft shell until it got caught on a corner and tore one of the leg straps. IMO 2-4 seems to be the number of mags you'd want, I mean any more than 4 seems just excessive and you'd be better off investing that $100 of mags into a big boy gun.
Solid

Team: DRAT

Postby CarlitoCafe » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:22 am

if you want full auto try the walther ppq or vfc m&p 9 they are the same basic internal, Nice guns. i love my KWA M9 rafficas some people have problems with them mine have never failed me. i do stick to my EF 1911a1 as it is Co2 the round count is low but i love the feel of the 1911
CarlitoCafe
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Nark » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:04 pm

Steve wrote:Random aside: Is there a community-accepted standard for the number of mags to carry with a secondary? I've always carried one in the weapon and 4 spares, but that was driven by what I was issued when I was playing army. Until this very moment I never bothered to question the logic, I just always picked up 4 spares when I bought a new secondary. So, what does everyone else carry?

I run my 226 with 2 spares with one in. I had a soft holster but while at Lion Claws it fell out into the sand which led to a month of extensive stripping it down, cleaning it, lubing it and then repeating cause the sand would migrate from one area to another. I got a SERPA but only have it for my belt right now, a thigh rig is going to be on my next airsoft shopping list for sure.
Nark
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Jewish Ninja » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:57 pm

I have a soft sided holster (only really use it with a couple of setups though), but I use it with my HK45 which has a lever mag catch, as opposed to a button mag catch which is more prone to dropping mags. You can also make a mag keeper out of double sided velcro wrap for about $3 (can be had at Wally world, Freddies, any craft store, etc). You cut two parts out, one to wrap around the grip, and the other to cover the mag. I'd highly suggest making one if you do go with a button mag catch, hard sided holster or not.

Hard kydex holsters are the way to go, but they can get spendy if you decide you want more than one kind of handgun, as it means you'll need to buy other holsters.

As for Steve's comment, I carry 2 spares besides the one in the gun. I've only gone through all three mags a handful of times, but I feel like 3 is a good number for a sidearm. The spares can be contained in 2 MOLLE spots, so it doesn't take up much room. Any more would feel a bit much, but it does come down to the style of play.
Threepeat! AP Gearwhore of the Year.
WWGFD?
Adjective noun is adjective.
Jewish Ninja

Postby Rentax » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:35 pm

Most of the people I have talked to about mags carry 2 extras, a few will carry 4, but even I get weird looks when people see I have more than 4 pistol mags. I have 4 to 6 on my belt and 2 spares at spawn.
I carry 3 +1 m4 mags
We do what we want
Rentax

Postby ClownBaby » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:54 am

4+1, Safariland all day, a lot of those condor style holsters have the edge right on the mag release. poo-poo.

If you've only got one mag, or you don't plan on changing mags in game, you can do what Jew was saying with e-tape, and it won't leave stickys like duct tape.

Nark, your pistol would stay cleaner if you ran it on yer chest. (it's also easier to off-hand draw from there, especially with the Serpa)
Lanyards are good too, I run the heavyweight Gear Keeper retractable lanyard. Sidenote, running a pistol and lanyard on your chest enables the use of a shorter line. (important if you stuck with a coiled line)

Also shorter draw equals faster draw. Bang-Bang!
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby Steve » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:19 am

I'm a pretty small guy (like: size small long in uniforms and size small IBA / IOTV). I normally run six dual mag pouches on the front of my plate carrier and no cummerbund. I flat-out don't have space for a chest holster. I've had great luck running my primary on a Wolf Hook sling and running a SERPA thigh rig.

I have an Ares Armor R.A.D. Pack with a chest holster, but that is really set up as a pure pistol rig with a couple spare pistol mags and a pair of NFDD pouches. The whole shtick with that pack is that you can go from unassuming citizen to armed and armored in a few seconds. Good in the real world, but both over- and under-kill in Airsoft.

I think a lot of loading out comes down to personal preference. So, the takeaway is to spend a bunch of time optimizing your rig for how you play, and spend even more time practicing accessing all of the various bits of kit. And if you feel like something isn't working right for you, adjust it to suit you. The Army was huge on uniformity in pouch placement right up until you got away from the flagpole. Thankfully, we as players don't have a ton of folks wandering around the field chewing on people for uniform violations.
This Week In Airsoft wrote:This Week in Airsoft stands behind its statement... The internet and YouTube can be your teacher.

Steve

Postby Darius137 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:26 am

I used to have a KWA USP that was awesome.

I have a Tokarev now that I'll be using more as I'm all Rusky all the time.
Member of Rushing Russians KBДB (Cascadian VDV/Airborne) chapter.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/KEBAB.PARTY/
Darius137

Team: RR KBAB

Postby Nark » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:03 am

ClownBaby wrote:4+1, Safariland all day, a lot of those condor style holsters have the edge right on the mag release. poo-poo.

If you've only got one mag, or you don't plan on changing mags in game, you can do what Jew was saying with e-tape, and it won't leave stickys like duct tape.

Nark, your pistol would stay cleaner if you ran it on yer chest. (it's also easier to off-hand draw from there, especially with the Serpa)
Lanyards are good too, I run the heavyweight Gear Keeper retractable lanyard. Sidenote, running a pistol and lanyard on your chest enables the use of a shorter line. (important if you stuck with a coiled line)

Also shorter draw equals faster draw. Bang-Bang!

I have thought about running it on my chest instead of a thigh rig for sure, I was borrowing a buddies glock for a minute thinking about buying it and he had it on the MOLLE adapter and having it nice and secure on your chest is pretty nice. Does the dual strap cut down on pulling your pants down? I was talking to an army friend here at work about dummy cording gear so I kind of want to make one out of paracord.
Nark
Ranger
Ranger

PreviousNext

Return to Gas Pistols & SMGs