New Indoor Arena Eugene OR

Places to play Airsoft.

Re: New Indoor Arena Eugene OR

Postby razazarak » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:29 pm

I dont feel that its wrong...i feel its backwards. Sure I can understand they dont necessarily want basement businesses, but some of the best companies came out of basements (microsoft, mac, facebook..well that was a dorm room, etc.). Im looking for wholesale because I wont have a whole lot of capital to begin with, and wholesale is the cheapest way I could go. Besides, it would be a good idea to start having a relationship with manufacturers early if the arena will also be a pro shop eventually. Figure id start with catalog sales and special orders until the arena makes enough to eventually have a stocked pro shop.

Also I would talk with local retailers who retail airsoft equipment, but honestly theres no major retailer who does in the eugene/springfield area except for places like walmart. I have talked with smaller places, like Zapper Defense in the VRC who sells stuff like nightsticks, tasers, and barely touches airsoft, who will let me put up flyers and a few other places, but the only major retailers of airsoft equipment are in the portland area that ive found. Besides I asked in another post which manufacturers people liked best so that I could provide equipment people trusted and wanted, and hopefully at a better price.
razazarak
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Postby Jewish Ninja » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:22 am

razazarak wrote:So...tell me if this sounds odd to anyone else. I talk with G&G and KWA to see what I would have to do in order to see wholesale prices and have a wholesale account. I get told from BOTH companies that I would need to first HAVE a place of business ("Brick and mortar store") to send them a picture of BEFORE I am eligible to see their wholesale catalog. So I need to HAVE a store (i.e. $10k down at least) before i can look at buying weapons and gear. It made NO SENSE!!! But they also said they could help me out when I get closer to the leasing of a property w/ all licenses required, etc. But still, whos bright idea was it for those looking to open a shop to first have the shop before filling it with product??

Anyway just wanted to update that I am trying to get ahold of manufacturers.

That's actually a pretty normal thing to do. I'd worry about having a pro shop setup later. The most important thing to have when you open is (IMHO)

Eye pro
Ammo
Batteries
Gas (or propane and their accessories)
Water
Snacks
Threepeat! AP Gearwhore of the Year.
WWGFD?
Adjective noun is adjective.
Jewish Ninja

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Matt » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:49 am

Jester316 wrote:
razazarak wrote:So...tell me if this sounds odd to anyone else. I talk with G&G and KWA to see what I would have to do in order to see wholesale prices and have a wholesale account. I get told from BOTH companies that I would need to first HAVE a place of business ("Brick and mortar store") to send them a picture of BEFORE I am eligible to see their wholesale catalog. So I need to HAVE a store (i.e. $10k down at least) before i can look at buying weapons and gear. It made NO SENSE!!! But they also said they could help me out when I get closer to the leasing of a property w/ all licenses required, etc. But still, whos bright idea was it for those looking to open a shop to first have the shop before filling it with product??

Anyway just wanted to update that I am trying to get ahold of manufacturers.

Why do you feel that is wrong?

With the prevalence of the internet, some companies want to support actual stores instead of basement companies... Why are you looking for wholesale prices for rental guns? I would talk to established retailers and see if they wanted to give discounts to help get airsoft in the hands of more people, and to establish a reputable business that they can support.

eCommerce is how most of the biggest Airsoft retailers make their money. Requiring somebody to have a brick and mortar store seems old fashioned to me. Although, if you were serious about eComm I suppose you would at least have a warehouse to show them. But I guess in your case it's odd, new arenas will need bulk gear for rental and may not necessarily have a store at all until later. You might just have to spend a little more on your first set of loaner equipment.
Matt

Team: APST

Postby razazarak » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:01 am

I agree, It does seem a bit old fashioned. I have spoken with a few of the manufacturers and they said that they would try to work with me when I get closer to opening. Perhaps when I am in negotiations to get a brick and mortar place or something. But they did say they would work with me somehow so thats good!
razazarak
Grunt
Grunt

Postby razazarak » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:08 pm

Small update, I designed a logo that im happy with for now. Ill have it touched up another time down the road. Wanted to share it with you guys.

razazarak
Grunt
Grunt

Postby mrgoldfishybo » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:19 pm

razazarak wrote:Small update, I designed a logo that im happy with for now. Ill have it touched up another time down the road. Wanted to share it with you guys.

Looks great! +1
mrgoldfishybo
Grunt
Grunt

Postby SierraTango » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:47 am

razazarak wrote:Hey everyone!! So my job is cutting my hours by half. My manager is trying to find me other work to do. But I figure it is also a great time to work more (and harder) on creating this arena! While im working on the business plan, I did some research on prices and came to these ideas. Obviously the prices will change based on how big of place this business starts in and how much accommodation it can do. So these price ideas are based on a decent size arena with decent accommodations. My question to you all, especially those who are a long way away, do you feel these prices are fair? Obviously I need to be able to make a profit, but I don't want you all to feel like im cheating you somehow. I like to try to be the best customer-friendly place...

Price ideas for Emerald City Airsoft:

Std. Fees:

Arena Fee - $20/3 hrs
$40 all day

Rental Package (Gun, 2000 BB's, Mask) - $30/day

Just gun - $25/day
Just mask - $5/day
BB's - $5/2000, $15/5000

Event Packages:

**NOTE: After events, equipment must be returned but can be re-rented in same day at half price of standard package (with renewal of BB's)**

Semi-Private Event - Base $300, up to 10 players, 3 hours, Public play in arena, private access to party room,
all equipment provided, Extras: $25/additional players, $100/additional hour

Private Event -Base $500, up to 10 players, 3 hours, Private play in arena, private access to party room,
all equipment provided, Extras: $25/additional players, $200/additional hour

Specials:

Military and Law Enforcement - 20% off package deals

Long Haul carpoolers - Any group of 4 or more coming from 2+ hours away with proof, the driver gets 20% off arena and rental fees.

Ideas for later special memberships:

Punch Pass - Buy 4 all day passes, get 1 free $160
Buy 4 3 hr passes, get 1 free $80

VIP Pass - stuff (Shirt, Cup...other ideas?), and 20% off all arena fee's and rental fees.

Other ideas will come as the business grows bigger and better!

The only thing I have with the punch passes is you shouldn't charge for the punch pass. If a player says, "Hey, I'm in here a lot for the whole day, can I get a punch pass?" I think it should start at that date and say he comes back 4 times for full day, he gets that 5th day free. Same concept with the 3 hr passes. I love the idea of a VIP pass, but you should look at starting with normal yearly memberships. That way, you give yourself enough time to become a reputable arena.
SierraTango
Grunt
Grunt

Postby SierraTango » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:51 am

razazarak wrote:And I also figured I would have map layout on each end so each team can come up with a tactical plan for certain gametypes. Speaking of gametypes, i have some ideas, and i will post them soon. Im going to start writing them down today and ill post them asap

Another way to do this is offer a laminated 8 1/2" x 11" map for $5 a piece. This allows teams that frequent your arena to study and create tactics as you would in a RLS.
SierraTango
Grunt
Grunt

Postby razazarak » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:49 pm

Thank you for the replies! So I just want to throw this out, not much movement has been made on ECA. Reason being I found that my credit rating has dropped a little bit for some odd reason...still looking into it. So I am waiting to have a little more on hand moneys to put forward into this endeavor (for licensing, permits, rent costs, etc). I want to have this up before next summer. So I will keep everyone updated! And thank you for the continued support for this idea, I really am looking forward to building it and seeing everyone have a great time!

Kevin
razazarak
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Transition » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:47 pm

One reason the companies require you to have a store etc, is to protect other retailers. If they just hooked you up with pricing you will go around to local games etc and hook up your buddies with below map pricing, screwing over the other stores. This has happened before and its a big deal. I have HUGE overhead every month with High Ground, I would be pissed at my suppliers if they just allowed anyone with a EIN and re-seller to setup shop next door without vetting them first. What you are looking at starting is going to run you around 150k minimum to get up and running. Figure you will need 30% and two years in business before a bank will even speak to you. I would be spending my time on getting actual demographics for your area, hire a firm to dig into it for you (about 500-700). Write a true business plan, for example mine cost me around $1500, plus research fees and countless hours of work. Even with that and money in the bank and great credit with a full time well paying job they still would not loan me money. Dont worry about maps and layouts right now, you do not even have a building, you will have to plan for things like fire exits, sprinklers, permits, life and safety monitoring, TAXES, building permits, city use permits, security systems, buildout costs, waiver and POS systems, website design and upkeep, web hosting, advertising ( this is where most airsoft shops and arenas fail ) Look around online at what others are charging and what you are getting for it. DO NOT fall into the theory that milsim players will keep the lights on, they wont. Birthday parties, new players, they come back, they spend money. I love seeing new arenas opening up, but until you have all that plus more you are spinning your wheels. We spent 3 years developing HGA, we will be two years in March and have started working on our second location already. It is the most rewarding hardest thing I have and you will ever do, just be prepared for tons of NO's along the way, and start saving every penny cause you will need it.
Transition
Ranger
Ranger

Postby mrgoldfishybo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:03 pm

So is this idea abandoned?..... if not.. Could i get an update?
mrgoldfishybo
Grunt
Grunt

Postby razazarak » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:04 pm

I apologize, no it is not abandoned! I have been in and out of work for the past months with nothing really solid to provide for my family yet. Now that may be changing this week (and we are excited). Once I have something solid to provide with, the ideas will continue!

As far as an update, I have spoken with entrepreneurs from NEDCO in springfield and they believe that I have a great idea and they see that it will be profitable and be a small help to the eugene/springfield economy. They applauded the work that I have completed in the business plan thus far and look forward to continuing to help me. We discussed ways to raise and save money specifically for this business venture (I.e. and IDA that matches 3 to 1), etc. Just as well they discussed roughly how long out I would need to plan for to make this a success without going bankrupt. I have also been looking into areas that this business would be able to be located and from my searches I've found that around putters on hwy 99 would be the best bet.

My hope is that once I have this job for my family and begin trucking on this business venture idea again, I hope to have it open and operational by Christmas time or very soon after (like last minute items needing to be taken care of).

I apologize again for not keeping everyone up to date on what has been happening. It has been slow, but it has been happening. Please keep up the support and hopes. I do fall back on them when I start to doubt this business venture. This will happen!

If anyone has any questions, please pm me any time. This way I get an email so I remember to check back!
razazarak
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Darman » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:40 pm

Really been looking for a more tactical environment, mixtures of long hallways with lots of corners and walls to play around. Basically like a little city inside of a building :D . Love the idea!!! cant wait to see how it all turns out
Darman
Recruit
Recruit

Postby razazarak » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:01 pm

Hey everyone! So I wanted to give an update so you all don't think that this idea is gone.

So, firstly I finally have a job that isnt contract, so I can spend more time on turning the business idea into a reality. Second, I am taking beginning the Financial Foundations course at NEDCO which is the first step towards getting an IDA (Independent Development Account) in which they match 3:1. Third, I spoke with my local credit union and at this point they wouldn't even consider loaning more money until I work on my credit. So for a while now I will need to get gazelle intense on my credit. For anyone who recognizes that term...i am skipping baby step 1 in order to do this right now. And that goes back to me finally having a job lol, im actually able to HELP my credit now! Lastly, ive spoken with the Eugene and Springfield PD Chief's who in turn got me in touch with their security officers and i need to remind them about having their firearms masters to give me a call. So something looking up...NO OBJECTIONS by either chief! The EPD chief actually sounded a little hopeful.

So while im working on my credit, that gives me time to do other things for the business. Ill be saving into the IDA, and doing some fundraising to put into the IDA. By this I mean I will be looking to the chamber of commerce for funding, crowdfunding, etc. and when any funds raised go into the IDA and get matched 3:1, we will be that much closer to opening! Example, if I raise $12,000 and put it into the IDA, NEDCO will match by applying $36,000 into the IDA. If that were to happen I think my bank would consider a much smaller loan to get started sooner. Ill also be working on finalizing the monthly budget, speaking with wholesalers, looking at venues, etc. It will be a miracle if we open by January, but if I do get an IDA AND raise $12,000...I have no doubt we can open by January if not sooner.

So theres an update for you all. Im still here and Im still pursuing this grand idea for everyone! It may even topple High Ground Airsoft ;) j/k! Anyway, when more happens I will keep you all updated. See ya!

Oh on a separate note, my wife is 11 weeks pregnant. SO EXCITED! :) Have a good day all!
razazarak
Grunt
Grunt

Postby axisofweasles » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:23 pm

This state is starved for a venue that caters to realism! I think you could open it in Enterprise, OR and people would flock to the venue, if it was of a caliber higher than TAC-OPS or OAA.

The insurance is the worst part, but if TAC-OPS can do it, so can you. And they're crap.
axisofweasles
Grunt
Grunt

PreviousNext

Return to Playfields