Portland's Only Airsoft Arena Closes Doors

Places to play Airsoft.

Portland's Only Airsoft Arena Closes Doors

Postby WhiskeyTango » Sat May 21, 2016 9:09 am

As of May, 19th 2016, Portland's only indoor airsoft arena closes its doors.

In a Facebook post by Tac-Ops Airsoft, "Tac-Ops' 122nd Avenue location is now closed. If you would like updates on future plans, sign up for Tac-Ops news on our website."

you can find their Facebook page here https://www.facebook.com/tacopsairsoft/

Being the Portland Metro area's only indoor close quarters warfare simulation that is available to the public is a very hard thing to consider, as many players had voiced their opinion on their Facebook, even Tac-Ops themselfs hinting at a possibility to open up in a different location.

closed sign

above image of Tac-Ops front door

It's a hard pill to swallow for some of the local residents who are only able to play at this location. Now that Tac-Ops has shut its doors the only available option for some is to drive to Hillsboro. In some extreme cases, some players will have to give up playing Airsoft.

Tac-Ops lobby

A sinister or cruel joke you might think? It appears that the doors will be shut permanently.

front exterior

front doors

It's very sad to see the only indoor arena let go. Maybe Tac-Ops might open its doors once again. Until then. Thank you for the memories.

You can stay informed on their website for upcoming news and updates here http://www.tac-opsairsoft.com/
WhiskeyTango
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

Team: N/A

Re: Portland's Only Airsoft Arena Closes Doors

Postby G00SE770 » Sat May 21, 2016 1:10 pm

Sadness...
G00SE770
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

Postby Nark » Sun May 22, 2016 11:58 am

I honestly never heard enough good things about this place to warrant going. Maybe if they changed some policies they might have better business.
Nark wrote:This is gonna sound dickish but whatever I'll be that guy...
Nark
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Steve » Sun May 22, 2016 1:16 pm

Well, this makes the fourth indoor arena I've played at in the last 11 years that has closed. I'm bummed, but not really surprised.

OAA ran until sometime in '06. It was just a training space, no pro shop, no rentals. The space was amazing. All of the walls were 8'x4' framed wall segments with drywall, and had window cutouts and actual doors. Probably the best shoot house I've seen outside of the military, and the layout changed every single weekend. But, no rental guns or gear, and no pro shop to buy ammo and whatnot. The atmosphere was more "club" than public space,which was nice.

PTOC was next. Again, no rentals and no pro shop. Great space, and the layout changed every couple of months. Good balance of open space and close quarters. The lack of rentals made it tough to bring in new players though.

PDXCAGE was the next place I went. Big space, but a little weird on the layout. It didn't really feel cohesive from a player perspective. The layout was a little wonky, although it did get better as time went on. It felt like they started with too small a budget and just never quite caught up.

Tac-Ops was next. It was fun. It felt kinda small, and that was exacerbated by the field owners shoving way too much cover into a small space. The first set of rental guns were pretty janky, but they got better when they switched out for G&G guns. They had a small pro shop eventually, but the product mix was a little weird. Might have done better with just a couple of field-legal guns and a bunch of tactical gear and accessories (lights, lasers, gloves, masks).

There's still a field out in Hillsboro (OAA, but unrelated to the first OAA), but dunno how that one is doing.
This Week In Airsoft wrote:This Week in Airsoft stands behind its statement... The internet and YouTube can be your teacher.

Steve
Specops
Specops

Postby Hawkeye [F.O.A.D.] » Mon May 23, 2016 11:58 am

I hear a rumor some were that OAA bought them out. True or False?
Hawkeye [F.O.A.D.]
Grunt
Grunt

Team: F.O.A.D

Postby Oregon-airsoft.com » Mon May 23, 2016 1:43 pm

False
Oregon-airsoft.com
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

Postby Steve » Mon May 23, 2016 2:02 pm

Oregon-airsoft.com wrote:False

Wow. This reply may have been both technically true and morally questionable.
This Week In Airsoft wrote:This Week in Airsoft stands behind its statement... The internet and YouTube can be your teacher.

Steve
Specops
Specops

Postby ClownBaby » Mon May 23, 2016 6:26 pm

Well poopy.
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Soldier
Soldier

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby WhiskeyTango » Tue May 24, 2016 10:11 am

I was told by both prior old ownership staff(before they fired them) and new and current staff that they where bought out, no one had anymore information that they could tell me.

I could not confirm nor deny that another airsoft arena had bought the business.

I'm sorry I cannot provide anymore answers, the staff where very vague when I questioned them about it before Tac-Ops' demise.

Though I would not leave out OAA of the question.
WhiskeyTango
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

Postby Oregon-airsoft.com » Tue May 24, 2016 10:55 am

OAA owned the pro-shop and rental guns in tac-ops, but month after month tac-ops could not pay their bill. We tried to help and keep them open because it was good for our sales and good for the community, but you can only go in the hole so long before its time to get out. We are now focused on an expansion to our place in Hillsboro and running more special events.

The OAA
Oregon-airsoft.com
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

Postby G00SE770 » Tue May 24, 2016 2:18 pm

Oregon-airsoft.com wrote:...We are now focused on an expansion to our place in Hillsboro and running more special events.

The OAA

This is good news!!
G00SE770
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

Postby McNair » Wed May 25, 2016 11:36 am

Having played airsoft for 16 years now, I can say I still haven't played at an "indoor arena" and don't really feel like I'm missing out.
Though, the pluses of living in Oregon and the woods being generally 30 minutes away.
McNair

Postby Darius137 » Wed May 25, 2016 2:32 pm

I have heard rumor that OAA bought out Tac-Ops under a different name.

Either way, Tac-Ops was really small and had a weird vibe to it. I'd like to see a larger minimum space to play than a strip mall section the size of a Great Clips.

But I'm sure it had its' followers. Hopefully Thunderkiss NW gets something going up in Vancouver, WA for the Northern half of Portland. Southern half can go to OAA.
Member of Rushing Russians KBДB (Cascadian VDV/Airborne) chapter.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/KEBAB.PARTY/
Darius137

Team: RR KBAB

Postby ClownBaby » Wed May 25, 2016 9:30 pm

Their was only really two problems with TAC-OPS, it was too small, and needed to be on a bus or MAX line so the kiddies could get there on their owns.

I'm actually pretty bummed, the place next door that just opened up.
Crab puffs, an O'Doul's, and running 14yr olds over...that's a good time. :doubt:
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Soldier
Soldier

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby MySwan » Wed May 25, 2016 9:41 pm

Might be a stupid question, but is there anyway that Airsoft Outlet NW would open up something considering they're practically local?
MySwan
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

Team: Sledge

Next

Return to Playfields