Mechanix Winter Armor gloves

Mechanix Winter Armor gloves

Postby Jewish Ninja » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:31 pm

http://www.mechanix.com/winter-armor

Before the cold weather got a chance to come into full swing, I started the process of finding some gloves that would work well for lower temperatures. I started with Mechanix's website and found their Winter Armor gloves. Along with their Winter Armor gloves, they also make "The Original Insulated". While they aren't the most "tactical" styled glove out there, Mechanix gloves haven't steered me wrong yet.

I went down to O'Riley auto parts and tried both of them on. The fit and dexterity of the Winter Armor made them superior to the original insulated. I found that the sizing held quite true to their other styles. So, if you wear a large normal glove, get a large pair.

I tried using these gloves at an OP in October where the temp was around 50 and found them to be much too warm for that weather. I tried them again at the night game and found them to be more comfortable. The real test of the gloves came during Santa's War. The temperatures were around 20F which is a bit chilly. I had no issues with hand comfort the entire day. My hands stayed warm, but not sweaty during the normal course of running around and pew-pewing.

The gloves allowed for great weapon manipulation. I had no issues using a 416, AK, MP7 or an HK45 wearing the gloves. I was able to use the selector, mag catch and trigger with no loss of dexterity. I was also able to change channels on my F21 radio just fine and wind hi-cap wheels.

I've also used the gloves while walking the dog in this weather and found that they are very comfortable for casual use as well. They are both easy to put on and take off.

Pros
Easy to find
Great hand protection from the elements
Good price ($30~)
No loss of dexterity

Cons
Not "tactical"
Won't work with touch screens
Last edited by Jewish Ninja on Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Threepeat! AP Gearwhore of the Year.
WWGFD?
Adjective noun is adjective.
Jewish Ninja

Team: SpecDet1

Re: Mechanix Winter Armor gloves

Postby Welshy McSheeplove » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:21 pm

How warm was "warm"? Because I've used winter gloves that made it my hands were unusable numb things, but I wouldn't call them "warm" either.
9th Group

I AM A BIG ELITIST CRYE WEARING MEANIE, FEAR ME

Welshy McSheeplove

Team: 9/G

Postby Jewish Ninja » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:23 am

I can't really place a number value on how warm, but they were as comfortable as being at home. I didn't experience any numbness in any part of my hand while wearing them.
WWGFD?
Jewish Ninja

Postby Morpheus » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:35 pm

How water resistant are they? Or how well do they retrain warmth when wet?
:::Carebear Commandos:::
Morpheus
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Postby Jewish Ninja » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:33 am

Morpheus wrote:How water resistant are they? Or how well do they retrain warmth when wet?

No snow got in when I used them. Further wet weather testing is needed. When we get a wet and nasty game, I'll update my review to reflect their performance.
WWGFD?
Jewish Ninja

Return to Tactical Gear