Review of Eb Stamped mesh Goggle

Review of Eb Stamped mesh Goggle

Postby Mikhail » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:24 am

I want to start of by saying both my wife and I wear BitterEnd Goggles. I love these and have no problems buying more.

Having said that, other mesh goggles are coming on the scene and my local players are buying them up...which is GOOD cause I think stamped mesh ROCKS! But I felt I should buy a couple to review and see.

I posted this to their website as well. If quality safe mesh goggles can become mainstream for Airsoft, it would be for the better for us all, regardless of supplier.

http://www.ebairsoft.com/metal-wire-gog ... -3351.html

For protection to be considered properly it should be tested to the point of failure. That is what I have done. I found a couple issues that may or not apply to how hard they are depended on.

I just finished testing this with a 2.5j weapon firing from 30, 50, 90 feet with .43s.

The wire held up VERY well. They dented slightly at all ranges and more deeply closer up. I would consider the stamped mesh lens EXCELLENT protection.

At the same distances I tested shooting glasses, and a spare ess paintball z78+ (high impact) replacement lens.

The shooting lenses shrugged off all hits, even at those ranges that dented the mesh. The paintball lens fractured immediately and 30 and 50, and started to survive hits at 90. What i do NOT know is how they would hold up to extended use.

I like the mesh because you can FEEL when they are distressed and then act accordingly.

But back to these goggles. What DID fail was the frame in 2 ways.
at 30 feet the right frame edge (side of nose) SPLIT immediately allowing the lens to leave the frame backwards towards the face. It was hit low on the mesh near the check edge. Question: Is this a polycarbonate frame?

2nd observation. There is an inner lip that stops the lenses from leaving the frame backwards towards the face. On the top and nose side edges of the frame this lip is present and of a reasonable depth (1.4mm). The bottom lip however is very small(0.35mm), and allows the lens to kick backwards. Both lenses did this. The first movement also popped the frame at the same time.

This was an test of worse case, ie sniper engaging with upgraded weapon too close. Pictures will be available shortly.

I would like that one lens lip increased, and I would like to know if these frames are a polycarbonate.

Otherwise I like these... which is why I tested one to the point of failure. I want a product like this to succeed.

Thanks Paul for bringing these stamped steel goggle out. But please look at these 2 questions.

end post

Pictures to follow.
Mikhail
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Postby Variable » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:32 am

Thank you for the review! I've been curious about those are replacements for my 3 year old mesh.
Variable

Team: APST

Postby Braddock » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:33 am

Thanks for the info. I have always had problems using mesh. I might have to revisit them.
and ebaybanned(ebairsoft now) rocks. I am addicted to this site. Just place another order from them yesterday.
Braddock

Postby Sodak » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:52 pm

thank you very much. AFter my year long search i have found the perfect eyewear. i went from paintball mask>ballistic goggles>Ao2 mask>large glasses> slim glasses> yellow glasses> now to mesh. thank you again.
Awkward silence is what I strive for...
Sodak
Specops
Specops

Postby YOGI » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:02 pm

Mesh seems like a good idea (I havn't tried it), because it doesn't fog up. And with anti-fog that sort of works, I need something that won't fog on me. thanks for the info
YOGI
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Sodak » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:44 pm

the only bad thing with mesh is some people can have trouble focusing between the mesh and the enviroment. Personally, with a stigmatism, the mesh actually HELPS and improves my vision.
Awkward silence is what I strive for...
Sodak
Specops
Specops

Postby Reeko » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:51 pm

I dont have problems looking through mesh at all, i could read a book with mesh.

but then again i also have astigmatism.
YOU SIR!!!!...... DO NOT HAVE ANY PANCAKE MIX!
Reeko
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ZombieMan » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:03 pm

Being a fencer I have a lot of experience looking through mesh. I have found that when I have my glasses off I tend to focus at the mesh but wiht contacts/glasses I can see perfectly.
ZombieMan
Soldier
Soldier

Re: Review of Eb Stamped mesh Goggle

Postby Alien_Hunter » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:26 pm

Hi one question. Does the mesh limit how far you can see? Compared to decent polycarb lenses?
I'm the osiris of this.
Alien_Hunter
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Lukens » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:24 am

I find that while meshes are nice, they DO indeed limit the distance of your view. I find it hard to use meshes in woodland environments, since Its hard to see detail at a distance. Otherwise theyre great though, high recommended.
Remember folks, It's all Bullshit.
Lukens
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Matt » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:54 am

Mesh limits your view a little bit, but nowhere near as bad as fogging shooting glasses or goggles. I've been using mesh for the last few years and I only have problems when there's lack of light, because having mesh in your eyes just makes it even darker.
Matt

Team: APST

Postby ZsTheMan » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:42 pm

Just in case you aren't aware, some fields will not allow mesh goggles without something behind them.
Honor. Courage. Commitment.
"We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem." -Chesty

Sierra Whiskey out.
ZsTheMan
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Nark » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:34 pm

Being a player that can fog any pair of eye pro up with or without anti-fogging on them I've been meaning to get a pair of mesh.
Nark wrote:This is gonna sound dickish but whatever I'll be that guy...
Nark
Ranger
Ranger

Return to Tactical Gear