Buck Bravo Tactical Folding Knife

Buck Bravo Tactical Folding Knife

Postby Knuckles » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:58 pm

Provided by: Buck Knives | Product Page
Publish date: March 6, 2008

There's not many among us that won't argue the importance of having a good knife in the field. I find myself using mine, or loaning it out at least once during every outing. When choosing a quality folding knife, you need not look farther than Buck knives. Buck has been making quality products since 1902. That means when you pick one up you have more than a century of knife-making technology right in your pocket.

Buck has recently released the Bravo tactical folder in their 2008 lineup. This is a serious tool built for working on today's front lines. The blade features the Besh Wedge technology yielding the same thickness along its entire length. Couple this with Buck's 154CM high carbon + Molybdenum stainless steel and you have a blade built for the 21st century.

Buck prides itself on the treatment of their steel, and rightfully so. Different types of steel require different heating and freezing processes in order to achieve the characteristics sought after for that individual piece. To oversee these important steps, Buck employs Paul Bos. He began by making custom knives in the 1950s, and has been with Buck since. A world renowned metallurgist, Bos now heat treats more than 70% of the country's custom knife maker's blades. He was recently awarded the Blade Magazine 2007 Industry Achievement Award as a result of his fifty years in the business. His work is such an important part of the knife-making process that each blade clearly bears his mark.

Image Image Image

The steel in this particular knife features a Rockwell RC of 60-61 and has been double-tempered in a process taking it from room temperature, to 1950 degrees F down to -120 degrees F. The steel is then brought up to a high temperature between 500-900 degrees F and held there for hours. This process is repeated twice. The end result is an extremely tough blade with superior performance in heavy cutting applications, above average edge retention and fair corrosion resistance. In layman's terms: it cuts tough stuff like butter, stays sharp, and remains shiny.

The scales on this folder are made from a black G-10 glass filled polymer or "Micarta". It is textured with a crosshatch pattern and provides a secure grip even with wet or gloved hands. Buck added a nice feature at the rear of the knife by machining cuts in the top of the frame and scales to provide some added grip when you're working hard. There are also thumb studs on both sides of the blade to accommodate left handed users. The pocket clip is secured with 3 Torx fasteners and is reversible as well. This is a substantial clip that really holds on and keeps your knife in the tip-up position. It's made of thick spring steel and I wouldn't worry about it getting bent out of shape with use.

Overall this knife is five inches long closed and features a 3.5-inch tanto blade. Due to the Besh wedge technology, the blade is a solid 7/32" along its entire length. The total knife is fairly wide at 9/16" and weighs a substantial 6.5 ounces -- it is not a dainty knife. Between the G-10 scales and the heavy duty spring clip, this knife rides very well in your pocket. It stays where you put it, even after getting in and out of the car several times and reaching into your pocket for change or your keys. At the end of the day, your knife will be in the same spot you put it in the morning.

There is no fancy assisted opening technology here. This is a good old liner-lock folding knife, which incidentally is made 100% in the USA. Buck has installed a superior bushing system using copper alloy instead of the typical nylon spacers found in cheaper brands. The result is an easy-opening ambidextrous knife that provides a solid lock-up with almost zero perceptible lateral movement at the hinge.

This knife is priced to own at $126. Buck knives carry a lifetime warranty so as long as you don't lose it, this could be the last knife you ever buy. It is certainly built to hold up to a lifetime of hard use. I carry mine most days and have grown quite attached to it, even displacing my favorite automatic. I'd recommend this knife to anyone looking for a utilitarian knife to perform rigorous duty when called upon. It's not elegant and it's not dainty, this is a tool built for a job.

I would like to thank Buck Knives for working with Airsoft Pacific and providing us with this knife to review. If you are interested in their Bravo or any of their other fine knives, visit www.buckknives.com.

Additional Photos

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Please buy your gear from Rick Fisher; perhaps he can buy a Life.
Knuckles

Team: N/A

Return to Tactical Gear