Emerson Jumpable Plate Carrier

Emerson Jumpable Plate Carrier

Postby STRIK3 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:45 pm

A relatively new item to the market, Emerson's Jumpable Plate Carrier (JPC) is a replica of Crye Precision's new lightweight platform designed for the US special forces. Examples of genuine Crye JPCs can cost many hundreds of dollars, putting them out of reach for many. But as Emerson becomes more widely distributed, this replica and other accessories are showing up at more and more airsoft retailers.

The Emerson replicas are available in Coyote Brown, Ranger Green, and Multicam. Some are included with replicas of ITW Fast Mags (such as the ones carried by the friendly folks down at Airsoft Outlet Northwest), or without, such as mine which I purchased from EB Airsoft.

The first thing one will notice about the JPC is its size. The front panel is roughly a foot tall from top to bottom and when adjusted properly, the whole rig sits high on the chest, providing little coverage for the stomach. While somewhat unusual compared to other, larger carriers, this affords the wearer with considerably better range of motion. My only gripe about the height is that it can make accessing mag pouches on the cummerbund a little awkward, as the wearer may have to contort their arm a bit to draw out a new mag.

With that being said, Molle real estate is not so much limited, but instead requires the wearer to pack more efficiently. The front and back panels are six rows high and six columns wide, the front panel has enough space to hold three attached M4 mag pouches abreast in addition to the integrated pouches on the front of the rig. The Emerson JPC provides the versatility and coverage of a plate carrier, with the lightness, fit, and flexibility of a chest rig. The rig also has a Molle cummerbund which is attached by elastic straps on the back for flexibility, and secures to Velcro under the front panel, as is typical of most carriers. The cummerbund is backless, which helps with weight saving and ventilation. Despite its low profile, the cummerbund still fits snugly and helps to keep most of the weight off the wearer's shoulders. The shoulder straps attach to each other with Velcro and are secured by an elastic sheath. The sheath also features Velcro loops to secure a hydration straw or radio cables. The sheath is made of a thin elastic material which feels somewhat flimsy. The straps are also unpadded, which means an overloaded carrier could become highly uncomfortable after a couple hours of play. That being said, due to the rig's small size, the wearer will want to focus on cutting unnecessary weight and bulk from their loadout to maximize the comfort and effectiveness of this rig. 6 to 8 mags and only the barest essentials should be included in a loadout built on this platform. Another advantage is that shorter or smaller-framed players who otherwise don't fit into full sized carriers, may find the Emerson JPC to be a very good fit due to it's adjustability and compactness.

The shoulder straps attach to each other with Velcro. An elastic sheath secures it in place, but feels flimsy. A user may wish to replace these with more robust shoulder pads, which would also make the rig sit a little more comfortably. A medium utility pouch has been attached to the back, demonstrating how Molle can be looped through the backless cummerbund.

The elastic straps on the back of the plate carrier hold the cummerbund in place. The front panel has plastic loops for straps, allowing the rig to be worn without the cummerbund for a lower profile setup.

All-in-all, the fit and finish of the rig are above average. While the rig is not advertised or tagged as 1000D Cordura, the material quality of the rig feels robust. Stitching is tight and secure, Molle loops all line up straight, and the material has a slight sheen to it. One gripe is the included "ballistic plates" which are made of low-quality high density foam (like you find holding a TV in its box). The plates are stamped with "strike face", which is a nice touch, and they provide adequate support and rigidity for the rig. However, out of the box, the front plate already had a large, deep crack in the back. I would highly recommend purchasing higher quality plastic plate replicas to replace the included Styrofoam garbage. In spite of the disappointing plates, the construction quality and appearance brings Pantac to mind, which considering the price point of this carrier, is not at all a bad thing. The stellar build quality and price point means that players wanting to finish off their US Special Forces loadouts, or anyone seeking a more compact alternative to larger plate carriers make the Emerson JPC a superior choice.

The fake plates included with the rig provide adequate rigidity and support, but are made from Styrofoam, which may not survive much abuse in the field.

Thanks for reading, I hope to add a field test as soon as I can get out to another game, I'll post here whenever I get around to it.
ISAF-C, The 144, Rushing Russians OR/Willamette Valley KВДВ

http://www.facebook.com/ExecutiveRiskControlServices
STRIK3
Ranger
Ranger

Team: RR KBAB

Re: Emerson Jumpable Plate Carrier

Postby Darius137 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:01 pm

And it comes in OD, yes? I think the real crye stuff only goes as far as Ranger Grey.
Member of Rushing Russians KBДB (Cascadian VDV/Airborne) chapter.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/KEBAB.PARTY/
Darius137

Postby STRIK3 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:05 pm

Darius137 wrote:And it comes in OD, yes? I think the real crye stuff only goes as far as Ranger Grey.

Only RG, CB, and MC. I've got OD pouches (Condor) on it at the moment, and they work alright.

Also, 500th post. Yay.

STRIK3
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Darius137 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:13 pm

Heh. Damn. The photos looked so green, I was hoping.
Darius137

Postby Kendodude » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:26 pm

WOWOWOWOW! Looks similar to the Volk tactical Close combat carrier, but not $280 and without shoulder padding!
http://www.combat-vtg.com/product/54
Looks just like the carrier I wanted!
"One does not care to acknowledge the mistakes of one's youth." - Quattro Bajeena aka Char Aznable
Kendodude

Team: N/A

Postby STRIK3 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:46 pm

And you can put things on the sides with this one ;)

In regards to the difficulty drawing mags from the cummerbund, I'm going to see about getting some horizontal Molle adapters and mount mag pouches at 90 degrees, so the mags can be drawn by pulling forwards. After I go on an SKD shopping trip, I'll put up some more pictures to show off :)

STRIK3
Ranger
Ranger

Postby STRIK3 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:47 pm

Adjusting it to sit a bit lower down helped some, but it also might just be that I'm a klutz. I MacGyver'd a mag pouch at a 90 degree angle and I kinda like the horizontal draw, makes for a more natural motion. I might try to make it work once I get it all put together.

I suppose I should add the caveat that 'individual results may vary'. ;)

STRIK3
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Blender » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:08 pm

To add to the review here is my Emerson JPC in multicam
What do you fight for?
I don't hate Mossy, I just hate the fact he has more gear than me.
Blender
Soldier
Soldier

Team: C.A.T

Postby Jewish Ninja » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:13 am

Jesus H shitbats. Did you really need to post this in 4 different threads?
Threepeat! AP Gearwhore of the Year.
WWGFD?
Adjective noun is adjective.
Jewish Ninja

Team: SpecDet1

Postby McNair » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:27 am

Kids get excited with new gear.
Some of them don't get new shit every day ;)
McNair

Postby Dinnerispie » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:47 pm

Very nice rig :) this thread made me decide to get a JPC lol anyways, as far as the magazines on the cummerbund, di go with a couple horizontal fastmags, they look great and preform even better, as long as you don't have to many of them. And if you use Malice clips it shouldn't be to hard to rig it up.
Dinnerispie
Recruit
Recruit

Postby STRIK3 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:06 am

Forgot that I'd meant to do an update on this. After bringing it out to a few games, both outdoor and CQB, I'm still really digging this rig, but a couple little things that I've noticed:

The integrated mag pouches are pretty tight, especially with pouches woven onto the front of them. Drawing and replacing mags can be tricky. This could be mitigated with the use of mag pulls, or the user has the option of removing the retention cords, velcroing the integrated pouches shut, and using mag pouches of their preference on the front instead.

I intentionally left the cheap styrofoam plates in to see how long they would last, and my suspicion about them was correct. The front plate split in half, although it lasted quite a lot longer than I expected it to. I still recommend replacing them with a higher quality alternative.

I have had a small issue with threads of fabric coming off of the bottom of the rig. It's nothing serious (it's not like the whole rig is coming apart), but it also shakes my comparison to Pantac gear. I wonder about its long-term survivability (1 year+). As I said though, the integrity of the rest of the rig is still sound, so I'm not terribly concerned about it.

Overall however, I am still very happy with the rig and I'd recommend it for any number of reasons stated in my original review.

STRIK3
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Darius137 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:27 am

Blender wrote:To add to the review here is my Emerson JPC in multicam

How is the coloration on the Multicam?

In the picture here: http://www.airsoftoutletnw.com/index.ph ... &Itemid=28

It looks a bit... discolored.
Darius137

Postby Android » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:59 am

When I saw the Emerson MultiCam JPC in person, the pattern on the PALS webbing and the PC itself are off.
"It's nothing to worry about. It's just a fire on my head."
Android
Specops
Specops

Postby CommieHunter » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:29 am

The Multicam JPC is more of a 'colored base which will integrate with Multicam pouches'. The fabric is close, but the webbing is quite different.
CommieHunter

Team: SOTA

Return to Tactical Gear