Comparison: Oakley SI M-Frame 2.0s and 3.0s

Comparison: Oakley SI M-Frame 2.0s and 3.0s

Postby Snowman » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:51 am

I'm bored as none other, so I decided to give it a go reviewing these things.

I'll start out by saying that Oakley is my favorite eyepro for airsoft use, because it's comfy, quality, and more importantly, looks cool. I've used several sets of SI M-Frame 2.0s over the last three years, and they beat out the ESSs, Revisions, ACMs, mesh/stamped steel stuff by leaps and bounds. The 2.0s are comfortable, fit well, and are fairly scratch-resistant. A few days ago, I was happy enough to buy myself a set of the new 3.0s, and there are a couple notable differences that I'd like to point out.

I'll start out with pros/cons for the 2.0s-

Pros:
-wrap-around eye protection, lens stays fairly close to face, no major gaps in protection (unlike the old Revisions I had, I was paranoid about a bb making it through the side gaps)
-comfortable for my head shape
-easy to change out lenses
-easy to disassemble overall

Cons:
-Unobtanium (the rubber stuff) frame pieces hurt after extended wear under my Sordins (hurt a LOT)
-said frame Unobtanium would slide off very easily when I took the glasses off, both are now MIA because of this
-Unobtanium nosepiece collected all the skin oils, absolutely disgusting after three uses in a row, and was especially a pain to wash, because it would be clean for about 5 minutes
-rounded edges on the frames from where the Unobtanium was supposed to go would dig into my ears and cause soreness after extended use

My primary issues with the 2.0s were that the Unobtanium was a colossal pain to deal with, and got plain gross after not too-much use.

Now, for the 3.0s-

Pros:
-frames are slimmed down, fits under the headset better with no pain after ~4 hours of use
-no Unobtanium frame pieces to slide off/lose
-retains fit and closeness to eyes for better coverage
-slightly better fit to my head
-looks 1337, and comes in Dark Bone, black, and Multicam
-redesigned nosepiece cut down on Unobtanium usage, less stuff for oils to collect on
-lenses have improved ballistics *I think*, TT had a side-by-side for 2.0 lenses and 3.0 lenses (I forget the numbers, sorry), still ANSI Z87.1 rated

Cons:
-pricey ($142 after tax for just the frames and one lens) unless you've got a USSI account (which I just discovered I could have gone through, /an hero)

Only con I could think of, srs.

Conclusion:

Get the 3.0s if you can, great glasses, great eyepro. Oakley makes awesome stuff, and the quality is definitely 10/10. I'd recommend going through US Standard Issue online, apparently you can get them for $70 or so, although you need to be Mil/LEO. Assuming you have friends, just get one of your Mil/LEO buddies to get them for you.

Pics (2.0s are black, 3.0s are Dark Bone):

3.0s

2.0s

Coolguys wearing 3.0s

Please comment on the quality of the review/comparison, I might get into this more if deemed "k". Cheers!
top lel
Snowman

Team: N/A

Return to Tactical Gear