[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4800: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Shellback Tactical Banshee Plate Carrier - Tactical Gear

Shellback Tactical Banshee Plate Carrier

Shellback Tactical Banshee Plate Carrier

Postby STRIK3 » Tue May 14, 2013 11:08 pm

In the past, tactical gear consumers have often been forced to make a choice between quality and affordability. High quality and highly specialized plate carriers promise plentiful features and bomb-proof durability, yet carry price tags of several hundreds of dollars keeping them out of reach for many. On the flip side, affordable options are often ill-fitting, of substandard quality, and made overseas.

The introduction of Shellback Tactical's Banshee Plate Carrier has largely rendered this problem moot. Whereas other manufacturers such as Crye, Eagle, etc. develop increasingly specialized plate carriers (not that there is anything wrong with that), Shellback has taken a much more back-to-basics approach to their design. The end result is nothing short of miraculous; while basic, the Banshee is superbly built in the USA, outstandingly comfortable, and at a price range of $120-$160 is accessible to most any budget.

The Banshee comes in one size and accepts up to size large SAPI plates in the front and rear plate bags. One small complaint I have with the carrier is that the cummerbund does not have plate bags, but PALS webbing on the inside means aftermarket plate pouches can be installed by the user. However, this is only a small issue and is clearly part of Shellback's efforts to keep costs down.

The carrier itself is a fairly conventional design, the front panel is 6 columns wide and will accommodate 3 mags abreast. MOLLE real estate on the cummerbund is plentiful and as mentioned above, has webbing on the inside as well. a front pocket which velcros shut could be used for additional mag storage, but the velcro inside goes down deep, making the pocket difficult to open, especially while wearing it, the pocket also lacks dividers. On my rig, I mostly used it for storing pens, glowsticks, and zip ties. The back panel has enough space to mount a small to medium sized pack, such as an Emdom Vehicle Hydration carrier, or as in my case, a TT Large Utility pouch which I use as a hydro pouch.

The webbing is straight and sewn on nice and tight. Stitching and material quality in general are top notch as well, it really feels like a quality item. My rig has HSGI, Tactical Tailor, Paraclete, Pantac, and Condor pouches and all of them weave in perfectly fine.

One of the best features of the Banshee are its shoulder pads. The integrated pads are beefy and well padded, unlike many other rigs which have nothing more than thin little straps that dig painfully into the shoulders during extended use. Shellback makes shoulder pads proprietary to the Banshee (sold separately for about $40) but after wearing it for Milsim West's 24 Hour Patrolling OP, I never once felt as though I needed additional padding. Additionally, the cummerbund and side straps keep the carrier snug and secure, the rig stayed in place, even with a heavy ruck worn over the top and when I was seated or lying in awkward positions.

I was able to run the rig through its paces at Milsim West's 24 hour OP this past weekend and it performed admirably. I wore it almost continuously for nearly 24 hours straight and it never grew uncomfortable or physically taxing. Between its comfort, durability, and versatility through simplicity, it has proven itself as an unbeatable value for a rig which is competitive with other vests at any price range.

9/10
Last edited by STRIK3 on Wed May 15, 2013 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
ISAF-C, The 144, Rushing Russians OR/Willamette Valley KВДВ

STRIK3
Ranger
Ranger

Team: RR KBAB

Re: Shellback Tactical Banshee Plate Carrier

Postby Jewish Ninja » Wed May 15, 2013 12:18 am

DBT doesn't own SB. They are their own business.

Also it can fit up to L plates just fine (what I had in mine).

All in all, a great, cheap American made PC. Can't beat the price and slowly becoming MILSIM. Legit for COPSIM (LAPD approved it for use along with other depts).
Threepeat! AP Gearwhore of the Year.
WWGFD?
Adjective noun is adjective.
Jewish Ninja

Team: SpecDet1

Postby STRIK3 » Wed May 15, 2013 12:46 am

Thanks, I'll make sure to update that. Also, according to the Shellback Facebook Page, Portland PD recently placed an order for a bunch of these.
ISAF-C, The 144, Rushing Russians OR/Willamette Valley KВДВ

STRIK3
Ranger
Ranger

Team: RR KBAB

Postby dos_Santos » Wed May 15, 2013 6:39 am

Several guys on my squad have purchased this for the exact reasons above. Quality, practical, and affordable. I have a Woosatch-A which has been great also ($170).
I do hope that after all this discreditable shuffling we may be taken into action. It has a wonderful way of reconciling a man with himself: and with everybody else, sometimes. - 1st Lt. James Dillon
dos_Santos
Ranger
Ranger

Team: N/A

Return to Tactical Gear