[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4800: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Snake Eater Tactical the “Burro” Elastic Rifle Magazine Pouc - Tactical Gear

Snake Eater Tactical the “Burro” Elastic Rifle Magazine Pouc

Snake Eater Tactical the “Burro” Elastic Rifle Magazine Pouc

Postby 110 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:16 am

Maker’s Intro:
Snake Eater Tactical is a custom gear shop out in Oregon City, OR. The owner, Chris, is an OIF Veteran and was a Rigger in the Navy. He has extensive experience sewing not only tactical gear, but also marine canvas, shelters, and other tasks involving reliable needle and thread.

Product Intro:
I bought a Burro Pouch before they were available online at Chris’ shop and tested it out extensively in the field. I’ll be going down a concise review and provide snippets of my observations.

Design:
The pouch is a standard open top pouch that incorporates two methods of retention.
1. Elastic Retention: The Elastic encases the magazine and the bungee like feature secures it to the backing of the pouch.

2. Kydex: Unlike traditional press-molded kydex pouches, this one integrates the kydex into the design. Flexible, yet shaped to put retention on the magazine, it also provides easier re-indexing by the structural design the kydex component.

*This kydex insert creates in essence a flared magazine well which makes reindexing magazines easier then flat elastic. Also, the kydex is flexible, so if you go prone, you’re body’s profile will not be raised by nylon/pouches.

Attachment:
The ‘Burro’ has standard molle on the back. Tactical Tailor Malice clips, Black Hawk Strike Speed Clips, and ITW Molle Clips will attach this pouch to any molle surface (chest rig, plate carrier, pack, belt, etc.)

*Plus in the event a malice clip does break, 550 Paracord can be used to field repair the pouch. The molle on the back of the pouch is not super tight, so malice clips can be weaved without using pliers.

The G-Code Belt/Molle adaptors also work with the Burro.
What I’ve noticed as well is that the height of the pouch can be adjusted by using short malice clips. The pouch can be raised up or down depending on whether the malice clip is weaved 1 row up or down.

*This is a convenient feature for me since I like my magazines a bit higher on my plate carrier.

Back:
The backing of the pouch is 1000d cordura. After inserting and taking out steel HK416 magazines for a month out in the field, the pouch still looks new. There is no wear on the cordura or the contact points where the kydex insert is.

The 1000d sandwiches the magazine in a U-Shape. So no part of the magazine touches the elastic. The 1000d takes the brunt of my HK416 steel feed lips and magazine catch hole which have put more noticeable wear on my other pouches.

Conclusion:
Over all, this pouch is slowly replacing all of my pouches. It’s the perfect belt mounted pouch (battle belt and duty belt). Height adjustment means the magazine can sit higher or lower. For my plate carrier, I can rely on these pouches to not raise my body up. Unlike other manufacturers that are very liberal with triple layered cordura or a solid block of molded kydex, this pouch goes flat when there is not magazine inside of it. Perfect for keeping a lower profile while in the prone or in any situation where the abdominal area of a plate carrier is in contact with a surface.

There is no such thing as perfect, but my expectations have been met by the Burro. I only wish I had spent $30 to buy the burro, instead of buying the Tupperware bins full of hit-and-miss pouches. I think it’s a great pouch, made by a small business owned and operated by a veteran who has extensive experience sewing. This small business is coming up with innovative and less cookie-cutter style pouches the tactical gear market seems to be flooded with.

-D.C

Where I purchased the Burro Pouch:
Ranger
Ranger

Team: SOTA

Re: Snake Eater Tactical the “Burro” Elastic Rifle Magazine

Postby Jewish Ninja » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:27 am

So it's the same price as a TACO, but doesn't hold other styles of mags?
Threepeat! AP Gearwhore of the Year.
WWGFD?
Adjective noun is adjective.
Jewish Ninja

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Jose » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:51 am

Do you guys know if he does custom work?, like mods to uniforms.

Ahhh never mind, I just saw their wep, should be interesting to ask about custom PC's.
Jose
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Postby 110 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:56 pm

Ranger
Ranger

Team: SOTA

Postby Jester316 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:05 pm

I think the comparison to a TACO is valid due to their price point. If you are on a stricter budget, you get more pouch for your dollar with the TACO. Re-indexing may be all the rage but when shit hits the fan, are you rely going to be gingerly placing your mags back in the pouch? No, you are going to be screaming while throwing the empty mag on the ground.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Postby Jewish Ninja » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:13 am

Threepeat! AP Gearwhore of the Year.
WWGFD?
Adjective noun is adjective.
Jewish Ninja

Return to Tactical Gear