AGM GBB M4 first impression, review forthcoming

Got mine too

Postby vv1803 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:53 pm

I got mine Monday of this week. Out of the box it looked impressive but I was disappointed in the quality control on this product exactly 2 seconds after that.

The problems I ran into were:

Massive barrel wobble which required torquing down by turning the collar thingy.

The front sights were installed off center so that its points to the 11-o-clock position when looking down sights. I have yet to range it to see if that's they way it actually shoots or if it's just totally wack. Anyone know if its removable/adjustable? Mine felt pretty solid when i gave it a twist.

When field stripping: the pins do not go back in after taking them out the first time. the holes on the lower receiver did not match the upper receiver by a few mm. (which means they were forced in the first time) I used a metal file to bevel the pins to give it a bit of a taper and a screwdriver head to scrape away some metal to enlarge the opening. (POT metal is freakin soft BTW) I had to use a screwdriver head to push it back in.

I bought the RIS version. The RIS mount/front handle assembly actually wobbles just slightly left to right but it's enough that it doesn't feel sturdy.

I've only shot a few rounds at a few feet from a target indoors and I was able to cycle with duster quite well. Overall I'm happy with what I got despite the initial flaws.
vv1803
Recruit
Recruit

Team: N/A

Postby GacktC » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:25 am

Just wonder how good is the Zinc handles the Green gas or propane? The price of the GBB is really attractive.
I know it is a WA clone, how about compare to the WE?
GacktC

Team: RR KBAB

Postby Pulsipher » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:36 am

GacktC wrote:I know it is a WA clone, how about compare to the WE?

two completly differant systems... Apples to Oranges
Pulsipher

Postby GacktC » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:10 am

AGM comparing to a WE.. more than Apples to oranges right?
GacktC

Postby AirsoftAmmoSupply » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:03 pm

GacktC wrote:AGM comparing to a WE.. more than Apples to oranges right?

WE still better in terms of quality and support.
AirsoftAmmoSupply

Postby Ryu Arcturian » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:20 pm

Pulsipher wrote:THIS THREAD NEEDS PICS
Question, how is the plastic hop up?
The thread over at arnies points to the mag being the cause of the bolt lock issue
Question, would you skirmish with it?

Got busy this weekend, I'll try to get pics up soon as I can.

I wouldn't outdoor skirmish it, no. CQC/CQB/MOUT however, HELLS freakin ya!

Hopup seems to either want to be on, or off, very little angle of adjustment. And when fully off, the bbs fall out the barrell if you point the weapon downward.... On doesn't make much of a trajectory difference. Anyone know if there are upgrades to this? I assume there are upgraded WA hopup chambers/rubbers etc.

I would blame the mag for the bolt lock issue also, like the spring that pushes the block up and activates the bolt catch isn't strong enough perhaps.

I'm still pretty happy with mine dispite the issues, they're small IMO. Compared to other possible issues. Mine is solid as a rock *knock on wood* so far, and I didn't have any issues with the receiver pins. Typical China-men consistency.
ImageImage
I'm quoting myself because what I have to say is THAT IMPORTANT -Alex Kaeda
Ryu Arcturian
Specops
Specops

Postby AirsoftAmmoSupply » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:31 pm

Ryu Arcturian wrote:
Pulsipher wrote:THIS THREAD NEEDS PICS
Question, how is the plastic hop up?
The thread over at arnies points to the mag being the cause of the bolt lock issue
Question, would you skirmish with it?

Got busy this weekend, I'll try to get pics up soon as I can.

I wouldn't outdoor skirmish it, no. CQC/CQB/MOUT however, HELLS freakin ya!

Hopup seems to either want to be on, or off, very little angle of adjustment. And when fully off, the bbs fall out the barrell if you point the weapon downward.... On doesn't make much of a trajectory difference. Anyone know if there are upgrades to this? I assume there are upgraded WA hopup chambers/rubbers etc.

I would blame the mag for the bolt lock issue also, like the spring that pushes the block up and activates the bolt catch isn't strong enough perhaps.

I'm still pretty happy with mine dispite the issues, they're small IMO. Compared to other possible issues. Mine is solid as a rock *knock on wood* so far, and I didn't have any issues with the receiver pins. Typical China-men consistency.

yes there is upgrades available. lets talk.
AirsoftAmmoSupply

Postby Pulsipher » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:15 pm

Read this Arnies Article, 56 pages of ACM lead to gold http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/i ... pic=168087
Pulsipher

Postby Danger Corp. » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:49 pm

Well i just got mine today! I too got the R.I.S. version, and so far so good! i haven't been able to shoot it, do to me ordering the green gas off another site, but out of the box examining it; its beautiful. Mine came without an external default that i can find, and my pins seem to come out and in fine. Plus my ris doesn't wobble ( yay for good china building :D) The metal body seems pretty darn tough to me, website i bought it from claims it was a aluminum body so will assume they are right. bolt catch works for me, you have to have in semi or full auto (obviously). ris is of nice quality too, its a delta ring design, so no screws or anything, which is still nice IMO. Actually comes with decent rail covers that stay on very nicely. Like everyone else has said, the mag weighs quite a bit, maybe 1 and a half pounds, i don't know, just guessing. So all together, i would say so far it passes for me; no external flaws. Cant say anything bout shooting, but i will soon....hopefully tomorrow.
The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Danger Corp.
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Pulsipher » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:22 am

So far the information i have gathered from first hand and third hand experience is thus

AGM: Lowest inital cost $180 upgrades to get it a skirmish-able replica
http://redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airso ... odID=25260
http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/a ... odID=26037 upgrade cost 122 plus shipping
NOT INCLUDING THE BULLSHIT YOU WILL DEAL WITH FOR THE MAGS... GHK, Bomber, RA-Tech WA and AGM all make mags for this and the WA and there will be more to come
Total $302 now parts WILL break, like the flute valve but get a differant bolt and hop-up and you will be ready to go

WE: middle initial cost $400 from what ive read, if you order a newly made WE then it is good to go out of the box, but has SIGNIFICANT cool down on full auto, feel free to discuss.
the thing thats gunna eat your pennies is mags since they start at 50 dollars a pop for the WE
again things on the WE system will break too, its ok it seems to be an ok system despite the poor choice of materials they have seemed to have chosen.

WA: Highest Initial cost $600... really why would you NOW purchase a WA when you will replace all the same stuff that you will replace on the AGM version?
I do not mean to discourage from buying the G&P WOC version since it has been reported that all the daft bullshit on the WA is fixed here but that is for people to report themselves since i dont own a WOC...yet The only good thing to come out from AGM copying the WA is the fact that now like 7 companies make compatible mags, and when there is a large group competing for sales, prices drop and favor the buyer :)

The other contender i haven't been able to find a scrape of information on is the WE SCAR, at its price point if you have already taken the plunge on a WE m4 and want to use your mags on this gun awesome.
I would rather someone else chime in here and show me that the WE SCAR is Gods gift to us for gbbr's.

The last two things i would like to leave here are as follows

agree or disagree Post it here, the more information there is about the GBBR replicas the better infact if you yourself want to know all there is about such a deep subject also follow the arnies thread about the ACM m4 GBBR
http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/i ... pic=168087
Really after sifting through the people asking the same questions about the hop up over and over again(which is why I believe you should change it Immediately, unless it works perfectly for you) it turns out to be a great GREAT resouce on how to make your out of the box AGM m4 the phony pony tits

the other thought, RA-TECH is a great place to find really neat stuff for you gbbr replicas here is their link http://en.ratech.com.tw/
GL HF
Pulsipher

Postby Danger Corp. » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:37 pm

well my gas came today and was able to fire 3 mags through my gun and i must say i'm impressed! being this my first gas blow back rifle, let alone any sort of gas gun, i'm happy with it! bolt catch worked each time the mag was empty, ROF stayed consistent, and awesome recoil :D! so far so good in my case! hope fully it will stay that way! oh and on a last note, my hop up seemed fine, no bb rolling out of barrel at end and it carried 100 feet across my backyard into the fence; so they could go farther! i don't have a chrono but it looks as if it is firing around 400 fps, maybe more. where i am its like 100 degrees outside so that may help it a bit.
The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Danger Corp.
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Ryu Arcturian » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:16 am

http://en.ratech.com.tw/product/rag/rag ... m_area.php

Found this on RA-Tech's website, its a list of suggested upgrades for the AGM M4

I finally read the WHOLE thread on Arnies, wow.... if you own an AGM, go read that thread. NOW.

the mag fix on page 32 works perfectly, my bolt locks back 100% of the time (when its suppose to)

also: bolt w/ adjustable FPS :) that's always good for people who don't want to have to have two guns for indoor/outdoor play
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyaNjt7Z4FE
ImageImage
Ryu Arcturian
Specops
Specops

AGM gbb magazine failure

Postby vv1803 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:53 pm

Just an update on my AGM.

I've been shooting it here and there for that past week and things were going good. Just today I tried to fill it with propane and poof, the magazine now leaks out the top. I know someone was talking about pushing some lever on the top to close the valve but i've tried pushing and pulling everything and anything that could possibly be on the magazine with no luck. I think an o-ring or something got dislodged which has happened to other people. If someone knows how to take apart one of these i'd appreciate your guidance.

**EDIT**

So I found a tear down of the magazine at http://redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/ReviewDetail?reviewID=190. This is similar to the AGM mag. I stripped it down and was able to remove the upper part of the magazine and inspect the valve. The valve closes and opens when i push the hammer and everything looks OK but i am sure i have gas coming out the top of the magazine. I will look into new o-rings and replacing them eventually but i may just buy new mags first.
vv1803
Recruit
Recruit

Postby judoplayer70 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:58 am

i diden't break it! :p
judoplayer70
Recruit
Recruit

Re: AGM gbb magazine failure

Postby Ryu Arcturian » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:39 pm

vv1803 wrote:Just an update on my AGM.

I've been shooting it here and there for that past week and things were going good. Just today I tried to fill it with propane and poof, the magazine now leaks out the top. I know someone was talking about pushing some lever on the top to close the valve but i've tried pushing and pulling everything and anything that could possibly be on the magazine with no luck. I think an o-ring or something got dislodged which has happened to other people. If someone knows how to take apart one of these i'd appreciate your guidance.

**EDIT**

So I found a tear down of the magazine at http://redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/ReviewDetail?reviewID=190. This is similar to the AGM mag. I stripped it down and was able to remove the upper part of the magazine and inspect the valve. The valve closes and opens when i push the hammer and everything looks OK but i am sure i have gas coming out the top of the magazine. I will look into new o-rings and replacing them eventually but i may just buy new mags first.

if you've already got the mag disassembled, collect the o-rings and soak them in silicone oil for 20-30 minutes, and put the mag back together, the thread on Arnies there's at least 5 instances I can think of where this happened, and this was the solution that worked each time.
ImageImage
Ryu Arcturian
Specops
Specops

PreviousNext

Return to Assault Rifles